PDA

View Full Version : Stock or increased rev limiter?

andrewrswilson
09-20-2006, 04:47 PM
I am about to buy an EAT chip for my 525 but im not sure whether to go for the stock or raised rev limiter....is their a benefit for raised revs? (more power) or will it hurt the engine?
Thanks
Andrew

McWatters
09-20-2006, 04:50 PM
I am about to buy an EAT chip for my 525 but im not sure whether to go for the stock or raised rev limiter....is their a benefit for raised revs? (more power) or will it hurt the engine?
Thanks
Andrew

also thinking about eat chip but i heard Mark D is not replying to emails?? any news on that , that i might of missed?

cheers

J.McWatters

Ross
09-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Revs kill motors.

califblue
09-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Buy the Revs ( i did) just in case you need ...you don't have to use it all the time ya know my.02

wjbell
09-20-2006, 05:17 PM
The rev limiter is there for a reason. Respect it and go with the stock limit. I'm sure the BMW engineers (who are probably the best of the best as far as automotive engineers go) had a good reason to limit it where they did. What is the stock limit, 6500 RPM? Do you need to rev higher than that?

If and when you get to the stock limit...

...shift.

Felixdacat
09-20-2006, 05:26 PM
I have been thinking the same. I have been told that the automatic benefits from the stock rev, and the manual will benefit from the higher rev, depending on your driving preference. Do a search, and you will see alot of discussion on this topic.

KenB
09-20-2006, 06:15 PM
I have an EAT chip on a manual w/o the stock limiter. I know I've never had a reason to go beyond 6,500k RPM. I think the power band flattens beyond the 6K mark anyway and you're just stressing it by making it scream.

I just took mine up to around 6K a little while ago in 2nd gear, just had new Mobil1 oil change yesterday and it's running as good as ever with 178K miles, I would like it to last another 178K.

Evan
09-20-2006, 06:34 PM
does the rev limiter limit top speed?

genphreak
09-20-2006, 06:38 PM
does the rev limiter limit top speed?Yes, but as power is dropping off on the i6 at that speed, it can- it probably depends on wind direction... a head wind will hold you from a higher speed.

jbraswell
09-20-2006, 08:06 PM
I have the eat chip with the 6800 rpm rev limit... I have never had it that high and there is really no reason to. I usually rev my car to about 6k when I get on it, you end up right in the middle of the powerband in the next gear. I can't really see any point in reving much higher than that, there's not much up there

Qube
09-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Manual transmission? 6800k. If only for that one time you run so hard you bounce the limiter :) I've only need to use it twice. The growl with an open filter from 5500 to 6800 is incredible. Of course, don't hold it up there.

In a nutshell though... unless you're running a modified engine (FI or other) or have spurts of insanity, go with 6500k.

The Bigfella
09-21-2006, 03:22 AM
Mark answered my email yesterday - he's sending my chip this week.

MarkD
09-21-2006, 06:54 AM
also thinking about eat chip but i heard Mark D is not replying to emails?? any news on that , that i might of missed?

cheers

J.McWatters

I am answering emails, but may have missed some. I'm working at a client's site Monday to Thursday, and have been extremely bust since Aug 2. I just have anought energy to come home, eat and answer a few emails before I'm quite tired.

I'll make a folder on the PC which any email with " BimInfo" in the subject line will get routed to. So add that in the subject and it will not get lost in all the other emails and spam I receive every day. It could take a few days to get a response even if you use that keyword, but I'll be sure to respond within 3 days.

Mark

MarkD
09-21-2006, 07:02 AM
Yes, but as power is dropping off on the i6 at that speed, it can- it probably depends on wind direction... a head wind will hold you from a higher speed.

With the increased rev limit, power is not dropping off as it does in the stock chip.

Dinan and Turner (Conforti developed chips) also offer the 6800 rev limit. I am the only one who offers lower options. The reason that the other chips advertise a 43 hp increase is that the 43 hp is available at an rpm above the stock rev limit, where the stock chip's torque is already dropping off rapidly. I rev'd my 3.3 M30 motor (with 5 speed) to 6700 almost every day and it didn't fail in the 6 years I did that. Now wear on the cylinder wall and rings will increase, but I don't expact that anyone will be in that rpm range for long. (maybe a few seconds per day when required )

For auto trannsmissions, just go with the stock rev limit.

Mark

Ross
09-21-2006, 07:49 AM
Likely not, as top speed is going to be drag limited. Even w/o any rev limiter very few cars make enough power to pull redline in top gear.

ILoveMPower
09-21-2006, 07:51 AM
Keep the stock rev limit, its there for a reason, and it puts you right in powerband.

steve0suprem0
09-21-2006, 01:08 PM
i just got mine yesterday, and it has the 6800 rev limit. i don't plan on going that high, but i went with it anyway.

works really well, btw. definitely feel it pull harder once it's up there.