PDA

View Full Version : Why, I must be crazy to consider this paint job

BMWDriver
09-19-2006, 11:14 PM
It's been trodding around my brains that I whish to personalize my car some. Gold seems to be a way to go (I bought the silly can). I have to say I was somewhat inspired by BMW's special artwork cars (Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein...) although I don't plan on reaching such high skies.

Well, here are some studies. I like the one with the mix of empty and full squares, as well as the one with only full unaligned squares.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/quebecman/PatternStudy.jpg

She's 14 years old, a spot of rust here and there, quickly fixed however. Plus, you only live once. Will I go through with it? More drawings to come, that's for sure.

I'm just worried about losing the car's finesse. There may be nothing for it.

swenpro
09-19-2006, 11:30 PM
bling BLING!

wow

BMWDriver
09-19-2006, 11:34 PM
bling BLING!

LOL !
Yeah, that's what I worry about. It's bold, no doubt about it.

Jon K
09-19-2006, 11:59 PM
No offense, but wtf.

angrypancake
09-20-2006, 12:14 AM
LOL !
Yeah, that's what I worry about. It's bold, no doubt about it.

do it! who cares! I still want to paint my car Kawasaki green. people might look at you strange but you can smile and laugh at them for not having the balls to be different.

weazman187
09-20-2006, 12:23 AM
i agree with pancake!

you'll really stand out, and isnt that what we all wanna do in one way or another?

Alexlind123
09-20-2006, 01:08 AM
I like the squares too.

Milkboot
09-20-2006, 02:14 AM
Im down with the squares, just im not a fan of gold myself. but Pancake is right, nothing wrong with being differnt, just dont be stupid and get carried away :P

Where you planning to put them?

fkong777
09-20-2006, 02:36 AM
Do it with Vinyl or static cling film.. you can just pull it off if it isnt up to your expectation.

The Bigfella
09-20-2006, 03:09 AM
Go for it.

ricola
09-20-2006, 08:30 AM
I'm all about the cool factor. I envision that as a tag at the last 3/4 of the quarter panel. Like what Alpina did with there solid stripe on the E12 only not as wide.
Start with a double pinstripe in the stock position. as the gold stripes break onto the quarter panel add a small break, then a block over a slash then start increasing the size. The tag could easily move up to cover 1.5" without over powering the lines of the car. The open blocks will help keep it suttle.
Cool Deco patten. I like the crazy deco lamp shade patterns too. Ya, I'm out there...

takumidrift30
09-20-2006, 11:44 AM
Whatever makes you happy bro. you only live once. ;)

Hal
09-20-2006, 12:03 PM
I like the idea of the stick-on prototypes. You can try many variations and get something you are happy with. If you are up for the abuse, you can post pictures. . .

I wouldn't do it on my car, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Hal

94 530iT Nikasil powered 152,000 mi absolutely stock
99 528iT non-Nikasil powered 92,000 mi

nixter
09-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Where ar you planning to put the design on your car?

n

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-20-2006, 01:57 PM
front tooth to complete the look

steve0suprem0
09-20-2006, 03:28 PM
you got balls, man. do what you like. i wouldn't do it, but i'm not you.

nizmainiac
09-20-2006, 04:07 PM
dare to be different,not my cup of tea but what the hell, if you like it and thats all that matters then do it

Ross
09-20-2006, 04:19 PM
To each his own, if you like it go for it. Don't ever expect to recover the cost though, in fact the inverse will be true.

CharlesAFerg
09-21-2006, 01:17 AM
do it! who cares! I still want to paint my car Kawasaki green. people might look at you strange but you can smile and laugh at them for not having the balls to be different.

I would have to agree, but I think I would be lolling too hard.
:D
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/other/Misc/badE34.jpg

Alexlind123
09-21-2006, 01:23 AM
I would have to agree, but I think I would be lolling too hard.

That picture haunts my dreams.

ILoveMPower
09-21-2006, 07:55 AM
Maybe paint it, but don't paint those boxes on, try a vinyl first or something.

BMWDriver
09-22-2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback all of you. Your thoughts and ideas are encouraging. What a great community on this forum.

Of course I expect some who think it's not a good idea. I expected more of those actually. Not that it would deter me from my venture. And I do know the value of the car will go down. I'don't think to sell her any time soon anyway.

Yes, I've thought about vynil, or trying something not permanent. It's just not obvious where I might find vynil, but perhaps I'll just spray a few sheets of paper and tape them down on the car to see how it would do.

I'll continue with either drawing or actually some "Photoshop" for now. (I actually use the GIMP, a free community developped equivalent, and quite sophisticated image manipulation tool. There is a Windows XP version GIMP (http://www.gimp.org). I find it's actually easier to use than Photoshop and less system resource-hungry).

I'm thinking about covering the hood, the top and trunk, and also the sides. I may actually go with a different color too, something more subtle like a really dark red. And I'm not decided on the scale of the squares, but I probably won't cover an entire surface; more likely I'll do something like the drawings I've posted so far: stripes of squares, wavy or straight.

It's quite an artistic process as you can see, and I'm not done with my research.

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Duplicolor produces a wash off paint.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/carart.html

You could paint it up, and wash it off after a weekend.

Alexlind123
09-22-2006, 09:35 PM

Perfect!

BMWDriver
09-25-2006, 07:58 AM

Hey ! Cool !

Denton
09-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Go for it.

It's a 1992 525i. It's not appreciating in value, and as it sits it's not worth a fortune anyways.

As said before, you only live once.

I will tell you that if you're going to do it, then do it right. I worked at a Subaru dealership in Bozeman, MT, USA. I worked in the wash bay. One day a Subaru Forester came in for service. It was white, but the owner made it a zebra-themed car and painted black stripes. Very cool idea, but the paint quality wasn't there.

If you're going to do it, then do it right. Don't half-ass a project like this.

HDhandyman
09-25-2006, 11:29 AM
I think that you should persue an Alpina motif with the bottom right (open and closed square) pattern.--It will look great. If it's not already, you definately want to shadowline with the mauve--I've seen others, and it looks great. Use the pattern to replace the Alpina pinstriping as someone else already suggested. When you're finished it will be a work of art!

P.S. you could persue a more intensive version of the pattern on the front of the car similar to the Alpina logo.

Jose
09-25-2006, 04:59 PM
Seeing that you're a total nutter, paint her PINK instead.

The Bigfella
09-25-2006, 05:15 PM
Hey - what's wrong with pink. My son's got his end of school formal tomorrow night - and has bought a hot pink suit for the do.

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-25-2006, 05:39 PM
For halloween I am thinking of painting up my white sedan with blue checks, ya know like a big Bavarian flag.

Jose
09-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Hey Bigfella,

If your son bought a pink suit and is putting it on to school, than my friend, he's a real MAN !!!! It takes a real man to wear pink.

Macv
09-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Blitzkrieg, thats a lot of work to be washed off in a week ;)