PDA

View Full Version : tranny rebuild near new jersey?

bahnstormer
09-19-2006, 09:52 PM
3rd gear syncros are worna bit
i'd like to drop the tranny and take a look
how the rest of em are holding up, can anyone
share thier experiences of tranny rebuilds?

even if its not in nj any pricing information
would be helpful....

-martin

632 Regal
09-19-2006, 10:10 PM
are you taking at apart yourself or looking for a shop? Not clear, is there a rebuild manual you can use? Manual transmissions are not rocket science but not for the regular DIY oil change type person.

E34 530
09-19-2006, 11:47 PM
Mr. M car in Allaire airport in Wall, NJ

bahnstormer
09-20-2006, 11:03 AM
got a telephone number for him or anything?

E34 530
09-20-2006, 11:28 AM
got a telephone number for him or anything?

yeah, give me a day to find it though. Mr. M is by word of mouth, he does not advertise. He works in an airport hanger in a place where Tony Soprano takes you to kill you (you must drive across the runway and through the parked planes just to get to his building. ;) You must also be very nice and open to him, do not come off as an *******, or he will simply refuse you (I've seen it happen lol.) He is probably the most knowledgeable person I have ever met when it comes to BMW's and is very nice and understanding. I went back to him when I was at the end of the line with my overheating problem and he diagnosed the problem in 2 minutes, no charge. He knows his ****. His name is Don by the way.

E34 530
09-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Here you go: (732) 919-2299

DanDombrowski
09-20-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm very interested in hearing your results, as I'm in need of a manual transmission rebuild myself. The E34 has been sitting in the garage for quite some time now while I've been trying to find someone to take on the job.

Unfortunately, I've had very little luck. The few transmission places I've called have told me:

1 - Its impossible to rebuild a BMW manual transmission
2 - Its not impossible, but its not cost effective, I should just buy a reman, and
3 - the reman manual gearbox from Vines for $750 is a scam, there is no way it can be done for that much money, it will be $2k at least.

Before you say it, no, I don't trust anyone at their word, and I certainly don't believe much, if any, of what they're saying. Just letting you know the responses I've got.

yaofeng
09-20-2006, 12:14 PM
There must be someone cheap like me. No? I'd as soon get one from here.

http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi