PDA

View Full Version : What would cause...

nmwaldron
09-19-2006, 07:50 PM
...oil to smoke from the oil cap when removed when the car is running?

Thanks

Nate

Jehu
09-19-2006, 07:54 PM
How much smoke and what grade oil? I opened mine today when i got the Engine Oil level low warning. I had 5w30 put in a few weeks ago thinking it'd be getting colder sooner and we had temps up in the 80's the last few days. When i opened my oil fill sure a little smoke was visible , how else could the oil disappear without a leak if it didn't burn up from heat?

nmwaldron
09-19-2006, 07:59 PM
How much smoke and what grade oil? I opened mine today when i got the Engine Oil level low warning. I had 5w30 put in a few weeks ago thinking it'd be getting colder sooner and we had temps up in the 80's the last few days. When i opened my oil fill sure a little smoke was visible , how else could the oil disappear without a leak if it didn't burn up from heat?

Quite a bit of smoke, I know I have an oil leak and smoke is coming from the backside of the engine as oil drips onto the manifold, I think. I have changed the valve gasket (checked it AGAIN for the 3rd time today, reseated and retightened)

nmwaldron
09-19-2006, 08:07 PM

sorry..forgot about the grade of oil; don't know what crap the previous owner was putting in it for 10 years (I've only had it 1 month) but I just changed the oil and filter with mobile 1 oil.....still smoking.

nmwaldron
09-19-2006, 08:08 PM
sorry..forgot about the grade of oil; don't know what crap the previous owner was putting in it for 10 years (I've only had it 1 month) but I just changed the oil and filter with mobile 1 oil.....still smoking.

lol...i'll get there in the end, it's mobile 1 10w30..(little slow this evening)

Jehu
09-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Have you looked at your collant reseviour? How's that fluid look,have you measured at what rate you're losing oil?Didn't you post those pics of your valve train with the valve covers off all caked with burnt oil sludge? If that was you wouldn't you think its some of that burning up?If not i'm stumped . What grade and type of oil is in it ? Lightweight synth?

nmwaldron
09-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Have you looked at your collant reseviour? How's that fluid look,have you measured at what rate you're losing oil?Didn't you post those pics of your valve train with the valve covers off all caked with burnt oil sludge? If that was you wouldn't you think its some of that burning up?If not i'm stumped . What grade and type of oil is in it ? Lightweight synth?

yup..those were my pics(not something i enjoy owning up to :) )...the coolant res is good, at the cold min. Usually, after it has been run, there's a 6 inch or so wide spot on the drive over night...oil level is just below 2nd mark on dipstick since I changed it on saturday.