PDA

View Full Version : OT: Modern Day Scirocco Penned the 'IROC'......

Dave M
09-19-2006, 07:25 PM
For those like myself with a VW past. To accompany the rather speedy looking styling is a very advanced powertrain, which comes from the European-market Golf GT. Under the hood is a four-cylinder, small-displacement TSI twincharger motor which combines a turbocharger and a supercharger for improved power and instantaneous throttle response. However, unlike the Golf GT, the Iroc’s power has been bumped up significantly; in this particular guise it makes 210 horsepower. Mated to the DSG six-speed twin-clutch gearbox, upshifts are not only smooth but lightning quick.

msn article (http://news.en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/article.aspx?cp-documentid=845384)

I've owned a couple and can't imagine more than doubling the hp. I loved these cars and am curious about the concept of a new one. I wonder if vw will ever rid themselves of electrical gremlins?

Food for thought,

Dave M

gmannino
09-19-2006, 07:54 PM
I wonder why they call it the IROC, there is and always only be 1 IROC and that is the 3 gen Z28 Camaro.

Dave M
09-19-2006, 09:54 PM
I wonder why they call it the IROC, there is and always only be 1 IROC and that is the 3 gen Z28 Camaro.

ScIROCco

Not sure if they know about the Z28

Jon K
09-20-2006, 12:06 AM
roccos are sweet - i like rocco 2's. I didn't read the article but I remember hearing that the motor would be a 1.6L just like the old rado G60 but with a small turbo also.

Airborne001
09-20-2006, 04:54 AM
I love the front end, but they f**ked up the back with that hatch. Looks like the ran out of time to design the ass end, and just slapped a hatch there to fill the hole.

Dave M
09-20-2006, 10:00 AM
roccos are sweet - i like rocco 2's. I didn't read the article but I remember hearing that the motor would be a 1.6L just like the old rado G60 but with a small turbo also.

Yeah, I had two 2nd gen roccos, still miss my last one.

four-cylinder, small-displacement TSI twincharger motor which combines a turbocharger and a supercharger..... the Iroc’s power has been bumped up significantly; in this particular guise it makes 210 horsepower. Mated to the DSG six-speed twin-clutch gearbox......

Not sure what it weighs, but thats a lot of power.

Dave M

Dave M
09-20-2006, 10:01 AM
I love the front end, but they f**ked up the back with that hatch. Looks like the ran out of time to design the ass end, and just slapped a hatch there to fill the hole.

Agreed, front end looks like it could grow on you, back end looks like its still growing ;)

Dave M

ILoveMPower
09-20-2006, 11:14 AM
I love old sciroccos, cool!

steve0suprem0
09-20-2006, 01:01 PM
until last month when i bought the 525, the scirocco was the best car i'd ever owned. the sixteen valve is a blast. handles like nobody's business with the right tires and suspension

i still can't decide how i feel about this one, tho... pretty cool i suppose. like a squat meaty gti. there's quite a bit of info on it over at the vwvortex.com...

speaking of concept cars, anybody see that saab with the canopy that raises up and the glass cockpit?

sKilled
09-20-2006, 05:14 PM
The Iroc looks more like something that would be made by Smart MMC or Audi, and somehow just doesn't echo the styling of its predecessor.

Edit:

I myself am quite partial to the Corrado (http://cgi.ebay.de/VW-CORRADO-53i-RIEGER-TUNING-EXTREME-16V-Vr6-Turbo-G60_W0QQitemZ130027200669QQihZ003QQcategoryZ9801QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). I don't care for the headlights on this one, but I do like the body kit and colour.

Derek A.
09-21-2006, 02:01 AM
IROC - Italian Retard Out Cruising