PDA

View Full Version : m5 badge!

weazman187
09-19-2006, 01:59 AM
what do you guys think??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M-Power-M-Tec-M5-Grille-badge-BMW-E60-E39-E34-530-ll_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33645QQihZ005QQitemZ 150034627679QQrdZ1

Michael999
09-19-2006, 02:57 AM
Is your car an M5?...

Flamin'Cow
09-19-2006, 05:21 AM
2 problems with this badge,

i) - Its the same size as the rear badge (i.e. Too large)

ii) - Its being shipped from Hong-Kong abd trust me, you never, NEVER want to buy anything on eBay from anywhere that says 'China, Singapore, Hong Kong etc' as the country of origin.

Macv
09-19-2006, 05:56 AM
Not a fan of badged non-m5's.

Qube
09-19-2006, 06:24 AM
Is your car an M5?...

You'll make real M5's look bad when you get toasted.

ILoveMPower
09-19-2006, 07:56 AM
Don't do it.

Flamin'Cow
09-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Dear All,

Normally I would be in agreemtn with you RE the whole badge thing. I have seen cars badged up as M3's when they are blatantly 318's or even worse 316's....

However,

When I got my car it didn't have a badge on the back. It looks like an M5 (as it has the body kit fitted) and so I (ahem) 'attached' an M5 badge........(sorry).

Okay, well no-one is going to know (except all the thousands of people who use this site - bugger), but hey, It basically IS an M5 anyway.....

Its got the factory fitted 'Sport' body-kit, Leather upholstery, M-Tech steering wheel and gear-knob, M-Tech suspension, M5 3.91 LSD and it is a 3.5 straight 6, so allthough not a 'stop-light killer' it is defo a 'Motorway Monster'....

I have personally raced a REAL E30 M3 on the motorway. Pulled up along side him at about 60mph, he looked at my car, I looked at his.....He floored it, I dropped it to 3rd and floored it - He was well gone by the time (not long afterwards) that 140mph was registering on my clock......

So yeah, I know that perhaps I shouldn't have. Thankfully I have the power to back-up my claim - but living where I do, there are NO 'real' M5's anyway and I just love the looks I get from Jonny-French-man when he sees a PHAT looking E34 that he thinks is an M5....

Over here most cars are Diesel, you get quite alot of E34's, but they are all 'standard' and I am yet to see one that looks like mine.......

Heres a couple of pics - all I need now is an M-Tech badge to go on the front grill.....

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c392/flamincow/bmw2.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c392/flamincow/bmw1.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c392/flamincow/bmw3.jpg

632 Regal
09-19-2006, 11:58 AM
UKM5 got new windows in his house!

VentoGT
09-19-2006, 12:18 PM
You have the rear badge from an e39 car [the e28 and e34 badges were flat, not rounded, and slightly smaller than the e39-e60] and it is mounted too high--it should be in the middle of the turn signal lamp from a height perspective and centered above the inner red lamps by about 5mm.

I'm never a fan of badging any car something that it's not; to each his own, but oh well. Also, the link for your auction is down so I'm guessing that eBay removed the listing.

jrobbo
09-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Hey Flamin'Cow,

Just to be different to everyone else, I would suggest that it's your car, and if you want to put an M5 badge on it, then that's cool.

Nice looking car, and great photo location, thanks for sharing

Regards

John

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-19-2006, 02:35 PM
all this time....fixin' up the ol' estate

SC David
09-19-2006, 02:42 PM
All I can say is that anyone who will care that your car is an M5 will know it's not an M5.

Macv
09-19-2006, 02:45 PM
All I can say is that anyone who will care that your car is an M5 will know it's not an M5.

wise words

SharkmanBMW
09-19-2006, 02:55 PM
UKM5 got new windows in his house!

Jeff, that was your best in awhile!!

UKM5, forgot about him again,... it was perfect timing for your comment!

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-19-2006, 03:04 PM
box of termites

Macv
09-19-2006, 06:10 PM
haha, wooden box?

Sounds fun.

GJPinAU
09-19-2006, 06:23 PM
I think I can speak for all who have and who have previously owned a REAL ///M and say...
MATE YOUR A WANKER!!!
Badge it as it came from the factory.

jrobbo
09-19-2006, 07:10 PM
I own a real ///M, and you certainly don't speak for me, frankly, I think you're being a bit harsh.

BMW quite happily stick ///M badges on 50% of 318i's that leave the showroon floor, so if BMW doesn't mind, why should anyone else?

It's his car, and he has the right to stick 100 ///M badges on it if he wants, after, the only person that needs to be happy with it is him

John

weazman187
09-19-2006, 08:06 PM
haha thanks for all the respones, nice to see everyones opinions!

wanna show me a decent m5 badge?

thats not from china or whatever ?

maybe ill just get it after my bodykit...

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-19-2006, 08:08 PM
and fool em all

Digita1 Ecstasy
09-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Personally I think this a touchy subject, the people who have spent the money on an M most likely will flame you because their is a marginal difference between the M and 3 or 5 series, and they feel that difference in the wallet so of course they'll voice it. Then you have the people that dont have the wallet for M's and do as you, to badge it. I would feel too guilty and stupid being mis-badged. Especially if an M3 or M5 rolls on me and want to play and they totally smoke me. Honestly I think theres nothing shameful of having a 535i badge. The M30 is a legendary motor coming all the way from the M1, should be proud to have it. Or if you have a kitted E34 like yours, why not have it debadged entirely. I mean, sure you'll get props from un educated kids that dont know any better, and really think you have an M5 on your hands; but at the end of the day, is that really props? Don't get me wrong though, your car looks hot, the badge on the back is just a turn off. (for me)

KenB
09-19-2006, 11:06 PM
The PO had ///M badges on the front and back of my car when I bought it, along with the red license plate surround. The first thing I did when I got it home from the dealer was take them off and trashed them. This was before I found this board and had no idea it was taboo. I just didn't like the looks of the plate surround and the badges were beat and tacky looking.

To each his own.

Jon K
09-19-2006, 11:53 PM
I really like that building, where is it

CarloE34
09-20-2006, 02:26 AM
I think its bull.... because why not putting a M5 batch on it.I have it allso.

In that case i coult say that if you are Making a M5 from youre 520 or 535 it is the same.Most of them has no M5 brakedisc on it,are not lowered as an M5 and have no speedo as an M5.
It is just as fake as putting an M5 badge on the rear.
The only thing on my car is the engine.That is a 2.5.Even the people who know the M5 are asking me if it is a 3.6 or a 3.8
In that case you have a nice M5 replica:D

My opinion is that you must diside for youreself if you want to do it.Afterall,it is youre car not anyone else his;) If you like it,just do it.

The Bigfella
09-20-2006, 02:59 AM
the people who have spent the money on an M most likely will flame you because their is a marginal difference between the M and 3 or 5 series, and they feel that difference in the wallet so of course they'll voice it.

Not at all - I've got a 535 five-speed and an M5. I can assure you that the difference is NOT marginal. The 535 has the Sports Suspension - but it isn't a patch on the ///M when it comes to get up and go, handling and braking. They are totally different cars - one feels soft and easy to drive, the other catches you out if you try and drive it soft and smooth - it demands that you get into it.

I'm with Robbo on the issue of the badge - its your car mate - hell, I won't even tell you what I think of blacked out grills.

Mate, feel free to whack on (an M5 badge that is), stick 3" exhaust tips on a waterpipe exhaust, or tissues down your undies - if it makes you feel better, then do it.

Ian

Paul in NZ
09-20-2006, 03:21 AM
by all means put an //M badge on it,after all if its a IS they may have come like that from the dealer.
But dont put an M5 badge on it
Any one with the taste to have an M5 wouldnt have those wheels on it.

CarloE34
09-20-2006, 04:13 AM
by all means put an //M badge on it,after all if its a IS they may have come like that from the dealer.
But dont put an M5 badge on it
Any one with the taste to have an M5 wouldnt have those wheels on it.

You have a point here but my wheels need a paintjob:D

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/2721/345mmbromsaruh9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Regards;)

jrobbo
09-20-2006, 06:29 AM
I like my car because it is a wolf in sheeps clothing, it doesn't draw much attention, most people just think it's just another BMW with an ///M badge, and that's fine with me, I like to drive by stealth. The more BMW's that get around with ///M badges on them, the more mine just blends in with them. True ///M enthusiasts will always spot my car for what it really is, regardless of the badges, and nobody else pays it any special attention

John

Russell
09-20-2006, 07:04 AM
Bad dishonest idea. It really will not impress anyone execept the very stupid. Anyone who really knows what an M5 is will always be able to tell the difference. Badge performance "enhancements" are just wrong and IMO, rather childish. Rant off :)

Flamin'Cow
09-20-2006, 08:23 AM
Thats my home in France

And thanks for all your opinions on the badge.

angrypancake
09-20-2006, 09:23 AM
more pics of the house!

Flamin'Cow
09-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Dear Angry Pancake,

(a bit off-topic I know, but starting a new thread is a little....erm....boastful?)

Please find below a selection of pictures taken of my home in France. - Hope you enjoy.......

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/la_maillardiere/1.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/la_maillardiere/6.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/la_maillardiere/9.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/la_maillardiere/8.jpg

E34 530
09-20-2006, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=Flamin'Cow]Dear Angry Pancake,

(a bit off-topic I know, but starting a new thread is a little....erm....boastful?)

wow, really nice house and I have a Ford Ranger too lol...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a314/ripcurl530/FXCD0023-1.jpg

VentoGT
09-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Incredible house--what Province is that located in? You need to pony up and buy a real M5 now after seeing that place--jeez it's unreal. That floor is very nice--what year was the house built in?

Flamin'Cow
09-20-2006, 12:54 PM
The Mansion was built in 1665, although there has been a House on the site since around 1200 (the rear stone-flag stair-case is part of this original house - heres a piccy).....

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/la_maillardiere/7.jpg

LOL - I think that sea is a little rough dude - whats all that salt gonna do to your paintwork eh?

Mines the RWD 2.5 Ranger XLT - yours is probably the 3.0 V6 4X4 - I like those flared rear arches!!!

I would LOVE to have a 'Real' M5, But I have alot of other cars and needed something comfortable and with 2 seats for long journeys - This E34 came up at a good price - I couldn't say "NO".

CarloE34
09-20-2006, 01:15 PM
You must be a lucky man flamin'.cow

I like people with style:p

E34 530
09-20-2006, 01:25 PM
LOL - I think that sea is a little rough dude - whats all that salt gonna do to your paintwork eh?

Mines the RWD 2.5 Ranger XLT - yours is probably the 3.0 V6 4X4 - I like those flared rear arches!!!

That's incredible man. Gorgeous. Anyway, yeah the waves were so rough that day they were coming over the guardrail. Just to put things into perspective, the water level is usually 4-5 feet below the concrete wall where the base of the guard rail is. meh, the truck is just used to do errands around the house. The paint has more scratches than a 50 year old pool table used by blind people. It's actually the 4.0 V6 4x4. It's got pretty good power and does better offraoding than some of friends' modified/lifted trucks.

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-20-2006, 01:40 PM
can I come over?

Alexlind123
09-20-2006, 01:59 PM
Thats a really cool house, take more pictures of the exterior.

gtopaul
09-20-2006, 09:11 PM
I sort of did the M5 badge thing too. Since the M5 Touring wasn't available in the US and there isn't any chance I'll ever have one I decided to put something together to make me happy. I used the proper M5 badges front and back, have the proper M5 sill plates in the door openings, have a "M" steering wheel, M5 brake calipers, M5 sway bars, and a M5 3.8 instrument cluster is on the way from Germany. No it's not a real "M" but I'll keep adding to it as I find the parts. Maybe swap out the MK 18's for some factory M5 stars. Oh, forgot to mention, I did install a M3 S52 engine a couple of months ago so it's got a little more scoot now. ;-)

http://members.aol.com/paul3130/private/525015.jpg

CarloE34
09-21-2006, 01:03 AM
Nice indeed but what kind of bootlip spoiler you have.Is it from an E39?

gtopaul
09-21-2006, 07:03 AM
Nice indeed but what kind of bootlip spoiler you have.Is it from an E39?

$18 ebay special that I thought would look ok. :) Probably won't go back on after the car gets paint next spring.

Paul

Ross
09-21-2006, 08:16 AM
Just like a mini-skirt on a fat girl. Doesn't belong

gtopaul
09-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Just like a mini-skirt on a fat girl. Doesn't belong

Depends on if you like fat girls or not. A Touring is a phat girl. :p

Paul

Rory525
09-23-2006, 03:37 PM
I have an M5 badge on mine as well simply because I wanted to make an M5 replica... its a sport so has the M5 bodykit, similar seats, correct steering wheel and gearknob, I put M5 wheels on it, got the number plate surround etc etc.

If it looked like a plain E34 with high suspension and X spokes I wouldnt have done it.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
09-23-2006, 04:24 PM
I have an M5 badge on mine as well simply because I wanted to make an M5 replica... its a sport so has the M5 bodykit, similar seats, correct steering wheel and gearknob, I put M5 wheels on it, got the number plate surround etc etc.

If it looked like a plain E34 with high suspension and X spokes I wouldnt have done it.

Ahhh, a sheep in wolf's clothing...

Rory525
09-23-2006, 04:32 PM
Ahhh, a sheep in wolf's clothing...

I cant insure an M5 just now due to my age so why not have some fun with a replica?

People on this board are so snobby about it. Besides I wouldnt call my near 200bhp car a sheep.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
09-23-2006, 05:32 PM
so why not have some fun with a replica?

Up-badging a car is the automotive equivalent of stuffing a sock in your shorts. By all means have fun with it though.

Digita1 Ecstasy
09-24-2006, 01:19 AM
Having all the aesthetical pieces doesn't make you any closer to having an "M5 replica" Im surprised by how popular the mis-badge mod is here.

Flamin'Cow
09-24-2006, 03:07 AM
Infact, if yours is a 535 i SE (like mine) then they produce 218 BHP - and you have more torque than an M5......

Airborne001
09-24-2006, 07:45 AM
ii) - Its being shipped from Hong-Kong abd trust me, you never, NEVER want to buy anything on eBay from anywhere that says 'China, Singapore, Hong Kong etc' as the country of origin.

Good call, Ebay has dumped the item listing and suspended the seller as far as I can tell.

gtopaul
09-24-2006, 09:23 AM
Personally I think this a touchy subject, the people who have spent the money on an M most likely will flame you because their is a marginal difference between the M and 3 or 5 series, and they feel that difference in the wallet so of course they'll voice it. Then you have the people that dont have the wallet for M's and do as you, to badge it. I would feel too guilty and stupid being mis-badged. Especially if an M3 or M5 rolls on me and want to play and they totally smoke me. Honestly I think theres nothing shameful of having a 535i badge. The M30 is a legendary motor coming all the way from the M1, should be proud to have it. Or if you have a kitted E34 like yours, why not have it debadged entirely. I mean, sure you'll get props from un educated kids that dont know any better, and really think you have an M5 on your hands; but at the end of the day, is that really props? Don't get me wrong though, your car looks hot, the badge on the back is just a turn off. (for me)

life is too short to worry about what other people think.

Paul

Espen
09-24-2006, 10:47 AM
I think the ///M badge is Ok.
It looks really nice, and it adds some colors to the car. And it doesnt "claim" its a M5.

Rory525
09-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Having all the aesthetical pieces doesn't make you any closer to having an "M5 replica" Im surprised by how popular the mis-badge mod is here.

Erm , thats exactly what makes it a replica, or a fake in laymans terms. It looks 99% like an M5.

When ever anybody asks me if its a real one I say no. I get lots of comments from random people saying my car is very nice.

Nobody on the UK BMW boards is as arsey about badges as people seem to be here.

DaveVoorhis
09-24-2006, 01:51 PM
I've been on some of those UK BMW boards, and they're full of posers and wankers. Here in the UK, "poser culture" is taken to a degree I haven't seen elsewhere. Just yesterday I was listening to BBC Radio 1, and they had some phone-in thing going to find a date for the caller, or something -- usual radio call-in fluff -- and they ask this guy what he does, and he says he's a farmer but he tells girls he's a paramedic. I was amazed. Just how big a loser do you have to be to go around LYING about what you do in order to score dates? Or, likewise, how big a loser do you have to be to make up a pretend car?

To do that, I think you have to be a really, really, really big loser.

Relatively speaking, M5s are cheap in the UK. If you want one, save up and buy one. Why pretend?

Rory525
09-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Relatively speaking, M5s are cheap in the UK. If you want one, save up and buy one. Why pretend?

Because its a bit of harmless fun. Why are people taking it like such a big crime on here? I cannot believe the fuss over some badges. Youd think I was drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa ... its just a car people !

Why dont I buy a genuine one? Same reason you're in a 525i and not an M5.

Espen
09-24-2006, 03:00 PM

Maybe because most of them have rebadged their cars aswell.

CarloE34
09-24-2006, 03:42 PM
Guys guys,

Lets accept that there are two kind of people.Show some respect for everybody.Everybody must do what they want.
Some like it and some not.Don't call another a loser because of what he likes.
I don't like cars with Lexus rearlights and spoiler as big as the car but i let them.
Aslong the car looks nice i fine for me;)

Regards

gtopaul
09-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Guys guys,

Lets accept that there are two kind of people.Show some respect for everybody.Everybody must do what they want.
I don't like cars with Lexus rearlights and spoiler as big as the car but i let them.
Aslong the car looks nice i fine for me;)

Regards

Amen. I work at a BMW dealership and you have to see some of the stuff that rolls into the shop. I don't care for some of the mods I see but it's the owners choice about what goes on his car. My pet peeves are: any chrome wheels (pimpy, it's a BMW not a Mercury), cars slammed so low that the coil springs fall out when they're on the lifts, SS trash can exhaust pipe extensions, cone air filters on a 318i, but I keep my opinions to myself. Some people actually like interiors that are covered in dead sheep skins. ;) To each his own though.

Paul

DaveVoorhis
09-24-2006, 05:54 PM
You've got a point. I hereby apologise for calling anyone who tarts up his non-M5 to look like an M5, a "loser." I still can't imagine why anyone would do it, though. For those who have built a non-M-engined replica, is it because you like the looks? Are there moments during the day when you can almost convince yourself you've got a real M5? Does it make the girls flock around you now that you've got that M spoiler, where before they wouldn't give you the time of day? Help me out here, 'cause I'm baffled.

skr
09-24-2006, 07:20 PM
21 inch sony CRT, it's got ///m everything

jrobbo
09-24-2006, 10:28 PM
I bet that roll of toilet paper on the desk comes in handy........

Denton
09-24-2006, 11:42 PM
Stuffing a sock down your pants is the correct analogy.

Not to mention a debadge looks cleaner anyways.

Espen
09-25-2006, 12:42 AM
I bet that roll of toilet paper on the desk comes in handy........

Oh soo busted!!

weazman187
09-25-2006, 01:59 AM
haha touchy touchy!