PDA

View Full Version : 540 engine mount, Help Winfred or Bill R

yaofeng
09-18-2006, 09:37 PM
I dropped the 540 drive train back into the car yesterday after bolting on the 6 speed. See here.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/253198

After setting the engine on the mount, I realized there was no way to tighten the 17 mm nut on top of the engine mount on the driver side. Because there is no access with the PS hoses, the ABS unit and the brake booster. The passenger side is okay. Despite my loosening the alternator and the oil filter housing, I still can't get to the nut because the socket with an universal and extensions are creating an angle too steep. The ratchet just won't turn.

I have not bolted the exhaust yet. So I still can lift it up to tighten the nut first in mid-air. What I mean is to lift the engine with the rubber mount to tighten the nut first and then set it down to tighten the rubber mount to the cross member from under.

I hate to have to lift the engine half way up in the air again. Do I have a choice?

winfred
09-18-2006, 10:14 PM
i usually am able to sneak a wobble and socket in there and get with that, in some places a couple u-joints together work to lessen the angle

mattyb
09-18-2006, 10:18 PM
go from underneath. i keep saying this and it falls on deaf ears all the time. 17 mm open ended spanner, cut down to about 50mm, slightly round the head off a couple of ml if u can. it easy to reach this position from underneath and can be done in 3 minutes tops. no need to go from the top!!!!!

yaofeng
09-19-2006, 03:06 AM
go from underneath. i keep saying this and it falls on deaf ears all the time. 17 mm open ended spanner, cut down to about 50mm, slightly round the head off a couple of ml if u can. it easy to reach this position from underneath and can be done in 3 minutes tops. no need to go from the top!!!!!

My 17 mm wrench was damaged on the round end. I hit it with a hammer last winter trying to loosen a jammed nut so I am left with only the open end. I tried it last night. No good. I'll try again by cutting it short.

saluki540i
09-19-2006, 08:12 AM
I went the long multiple extension route, using a 6-pt. universal joint socket. It was a pain in the ass. Watch out for the alternator hot wire on back if you go this route.

stargazer_61
09-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Go at it from the underneath the car, like MattyB recommends. I did it that way as well and it was a snap. The difference for me was that I used a regular 17mm socket, a universal joint and a 3" extension and layed that setup on the nut. The extension will be poking through the PS hoses, where you can then attach more extensions.

yaofeng
09-19-2006, 08:36 AM
I have both 3/8" drive and 1/2" drive wobbles, universal joint, and regular extensions. No good on either one. I also noticed I need a long 17 mm socket. I'll give cutting the 17 mm wrench a try today. Since the wrench was broken on the round end anyway. I'll use the passenger side where I have access to gauge how long (or short) the wrench needs to be cut to fit in there to turn it.

The alternator hot wire is not a problem. The battery has been disconnected since May of this year. That's how long it has been.

yaofeng
09-19-2006, 09:21 PM
I still couldn't turn the nut on top of the driver side engine mount. But I could feel it with my fingers how much the stud sticks out. And driver side sticks out more, which means the nut goes in deeper.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_540/DSC_3409.jpg
The passenger side where I have access has the stud stick out this much.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_540/DSC_3410.jpg
The driver side nut where I have no access, let alone taking a good picture, the stud seems to stick out more.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_540/DSC_3412.jpg
This is a shot taken from between the ABS unit and the engine block.

May be the reason I couldn't turn the nut was because it is already tightened?

632 Regal
09-19-2006, 09:24 PM
were you able to turn it with the cut down box wrench? Looks close but it really should be kinds tight or it could back off.

winfred
09-19-2006, 09:29 PM
i've not really had much trouble getting a socket on them, a 3' 1/2 extension usually with a 3/8 drive u-joint/socket

yaofeng
09-19-2006, 10:06 PM
were you able to turn it with the cut down box wrench? Looks close but it really should be kinds tight or it could back off.

I cut my broken 17 mm wrench to size, leaving the open end. But no dice. No access.

yaofeng
09-19-2006, 10:08 PM
i've not really had much trouble getting a socket on them, a 3' 1/2 extension usually with a 3/8 drive u-joint/socket

I'll try that. I need a deeper 17 mm socket too. Have to go shop for more tools. I just don't feel comfortable not getting a good feel tightening the nut.

632 Regal
09-19-2006, 10:12 PM
try the winfred suggestion, if he can do it I believe it can be done.
I cut my broken 17 mm wrench to size, leaving the open end. But no dice. No access.

Jon K
09-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Try cutting a deep socket down.

mattyb
09-20-2006, 02:44 AM
did u shimmy the outside edges a bit? taking of 1.5-2mm helps it get in there and move a bit. youll only get small turns bits enough

yaofeng
09-20-2006, 07:35 AM
did u shimmy the outside edges a bit? taking of 1.5-2mm helps it get in there and move a bit. youll only get small turns bits enough

No. I didn't. For all I know the nut is probably too tight already. I'll get a deep enough socket and an appropriate length wobble plus the universal to just feel how tight it is.