PDA

View Full Version : window help

Incantation
09-17-2006, 08:43 PM
hey guys.. tried the search function but nothing came up for this ..

so my driver's side window stopped working properly a couple weeks ago. it would only go down about two inches before stopping and making a really abrupt kind of noise that would continue as long as the button was pressed.

when going back up.. when the window was fully closed the motor would keep pushing and it would make an even worse noise.

my dad came to visit for a week and i let him take whichever car was available. unfortunately he forgot about the window thing in the 535 and it stopped working altogether, except the window was/is now stuck in the 2 inches-down-from-top position.

so i tore the door open.. hoping that i could fix this myself. unfortunately the entire mechanism is riveted in.. and i can not see any possible way for me to fix this. the next step will be to take it to the dealer i guess.. but i am almost thinking it would be cheaper just to buy a whole door from a wrecker and have it painted (i know a guy that gives me insanely low prices).

but before i do that.. maybe someone can shed some light insofar as what the problem is (based on the above mentioned symptoms)

i should also include that the fuse is fine, the other windows function properly, and when i had the inner door off and pressed the up/down button i could hear a click.. as though the motor is trying to engage but can't..

any help would be much appreciated, thanks

GJPinAU
09-17-2006, 10:25 PM
You need to replace the window motor mechanism as it has most probably stripped the teeth on the contrate gear.
The motor comes complete with the operating arms.

You'll need to drill out the rivets and replace with nuts and bolts.

I did my rear passenger door 12 months ago, it took all of an hour I think (maybe 2).

cheers,
Greg

Incantation
09-17-2006, 11:40 PM
thanks.. i'll do that