PDA

View Full Version : Strange starting problem

mlrwy
09-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Hi guys,
My 1995 540i/6 starts fine most of the time. When I thrash it hard on the mountain roads (I live by Yellowstone), then shut it off, sometimes it won't restart. Turn the key, get dim dash lights and no starter action. It is almost as if the battery voltage is too low to spin the starter. It has a brand new battery in it that tests good. If I wait 10 to 20 minutes, it starts right up! If I DON'T thrash it, it starts fine!? What the!?!?!?!? Any and all input will be appreciated! Thanks!

DaveVoorhis
09-17-2006, 04:49 PM
The starter solenoid would be my first suspect. When you thrash it, the engine sheds more heat and bakes the solenoid.

mlrwy
09-17-2006, 07:27 PM
The starter solenoid would be my first suspect. When you thrash it, the engine sheds more heat and bakes the solenoid.

Thanks Dave...That was my idea too.

bagpuss
09-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Agreed, had same problem and replaced the starter as it looked to me as if the solenoid and motor are integral - they came as one piece anyway (for 95 540i/A). The 'technical' term seems to be 'heat-soak' and seems to happen when the starter is about 10 years old.

mlrwy
09-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Agreed, had same problem and replaced the starter as it looked to me as if the solenoid and motor are integral - they came as one piece anyway (for 95 540i/A). The 'technical' term seems to be 'heat-soak' and seems to happen when the starter is about 10 years old.

Thanks guys...Best place to get a new starter? BMA...Bav Auto?