PDA

View Full Version : M60 -> M62 swap, does it worth?

jgardia
09-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Hi everybody,
A guy is offering me a M62B44 engine to replace my M60B40. Is a non vanos, so it should be plug and play installation (at least in theory), but I was looking at the numbers and i not sure if it worths the effort. I'll be winning 30 Nm of torque (arround that), but I haven't seen anything else.
If someone has a different point of view, please tell me.

Thanks,

Jose

bagpuss
09-17-2006, 03:42 PM
You need to weigh up the cost/benefit. Benefit=30Nm Torque, whats the cost ? (Valueing time, as well as parts, even if you do it yourself). Chances are you can up the Torque the same amount with a chip and increase bhp too for about 200 bucks, so if the engine swap is more than that, which it will be, I wouldn't bother its not worth it (unless you have 'other' engine probs that warrant a replacement anyway).

Michael999
09-17-2006, 04:11 PM
Find out how much you can sell your M60 for, and how mucht he guy wants for the M62, if the gap is small(for you), then go do it, then chip it as well, should get more than just the 30nm of torque.

jgardia
09-17-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm not thinking in the cost of the engine, but in the work I have to do to install the new one. Also, I saw numbers of the e39 540s and they are much faster compared with my e34 (5.4 sec v/s 6.2 sec from 0 to 100 km/h).
Also, the idea is to have the M62 and the EAT chip, I think is possible.

bagpuss
09-17-2006, 07:40 PM
If money/time etc. is no object, go for it. To me, time is money, as is the 'hassle' factor - its all a 'cost'. Where did you get the comparative figures ? I didn't think the acceleration was that different comparing like with like (M=M and A=A). Certainly the power seems the same at 286 and I would have thought the E39 to be heavier than E34 - they normally add weight as model years progress. Cheers.

winfred
09-17-2006, 08:05 PM
if theres nothing wrong with your 4.0 id spend the money on it for performance, if i was going to do a swap id go bigger like a 4.6 or a m5 motor which would be more work and money

Brandon J
09-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Hi everybody,
A guy is offering me a M62B44 engine to replace my M60B40. Is a non vanos, so it should be plug and play installation (at least in theory), but I was looking at the numbers and i not sure if it worths the effort. I'll be winning 30 Nm of torque (arround that), but I haven't seen anything else.
If someone has a different point of view, please tell me.

Thanks,

Jose

Unless your current M60 is bad, then it might not be a prudent decision. The M62 is OBDII and the M60 OBDI. However, just like how people do M3 S52 engine OBDII swap/conversion to OBDI, the larger displacement M62 OBDII will need donar parts from the M60. You have to make sure the sensors and other ancilliaries are used from the old engine. Also, people have even further made sure the M62 engines have minimal compatibility problems by swapping the heads onto the M62 block. So only using the larger displacement short block. The camshafts are different between the 2 engines and so are the redlines from factory and performance chip applications.

Is the extra displacement worth it...YES. There is more torque and the torque curve is flatter and lower in the rpm band. That helps a lot with the weight of the e34 and accelerating. Also, with the OBDI modifications, I wouldn't be surprised if you get even more power out of the M62 engine than it would get in the e39.

If I were in your position, I would add modifications that I know would transfer to an M62 swap/build. Your M60 will then have more power and if you do decide to do an M62 swap, you already have the mods to extract more power from it.

Good luck with your decision and planning.