PDA

View Full Version : really need some help please guys

innes
09-17-2006, 03:10 PM
525i (1991) j reg UK

Bought a sub and amp today as my car does not have OEM amp. Bargain £20 car boot, 500w kenwood sub and amp!!

Started to do the wiring job and eventually got sorted (in theory)

So i put the car back together (rear seat, boot lining etc) and the bloody thing started 'cutting out' as in, the stereo comes on for 3 seconds then off for 3 seconds, on & off consitantly??? it seems related to the remote (blue) wire from the stereo to the amp, by disconnecting it the problem goes away.

anyway, when after disconnecting and hen reconnecting the sub & amp i had a few sparks when connecting the 12v. NOW THE STEREO WONT EVEN TURN ON AND THE CAR WONT START!!!! ARRRGH!! have i killed the battery? please help me guys!!

gmannino
09-17-2006, 03:17 PM
Connect your remote turn on lead to the white wire behind the radio. Turn on your ignition and test every fuse in your car. Use a probe or multimeter to test each side of every fuse, dont do a visual check, always check with a tester. You should find a blown fuse or two.

As far as your car not starting, does it try to start? or are you not get anything cranking at all? Perhaps a jump start will work or battery charger?

gmannino
09-17-2006, 03:18 PM
BTW i've never seen an e34 without a factory amp. If you have more than 4 speakers, you probably have an amp. ( drivers side rear trunk)

innes
09-17-2006, 03:23 PM
no it definately has NO amp! all fuses are good, and when i first connected it to the 'remote blue&white' it worked perfectly for half an hour!! so this must be correct.

no the car isnt even turning over interior lights seem to be a little dim too.

Michael999
09-17-2006, 04:14 PM
My car came stock with NO AMP, it also did not have the tweeters in the door pillars, front speakers are only 2way.

JerseySi
09-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Neither of mine came with an amp - white one had nothing at all from the factory, no speakers, no headunit, and next to no wiring either :s
Blue one has stock head unit & changer, and speakers in the front, but no rear speakers or amp

As for the cutting out issue, I dunno... Sure you've not flattened the battery testing it? :shrugs:

innes
09-18-2006, 01:32 AM
yep think you are right, battery must be worn out from tester the amp etc, would this cause it turn turn on and off intermittently? if so why would the 'remote' wire be draining it so quickly?

cheers guys

gmannino
09-18-2006, 03:34 AM
The remote wire feeds signal to turn on your aftermarket amp. You obviously have a dead battery. A drained battery can power a little radio and speakers but once the remote is connected to the subwoofer, the low battery cannot power the 500 watt amp and subwoofer, thus the cutting in and out. Happens all the time when we install equipment for long periods of time. It will start to cut in and out until you connect a battery charger.

Jump start your car.

Bill R.
09-18-2006, 10:11 AM
have the speaker setup that the US cars do. Many don't have amps.

BTW i've never seen an e34 without a factory amp. If you have more than 4 speakers, you probably have an amp. ( drivers side rear trunk)