PDA

View Full Version : What else should I do when fixing a cracked head?

landon
09-17-2006, 12:05 PM
My 1993 525iT has a cracked head that's getting fixed. But I figured I'd ask if there's anything else I should look at/replace/upgrade while I have it apart.

I'm still pretty new to bimmers, but I'm learning! Thanks everyone for all the info already here - this forum's great!

-Landon

Jay 535i
09-17-2006, 12:11 PM
First, get him to the dentist, cuz that stuff is a dental nightmare.

Then get him some counselling, cuz that stuff'll mess your brain.

Oh, wait, you said cracked head.

SnakeyesTx
09-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Lucky you! We don't have any machine shops here in town willing to CNC out the cracked area and weld in new material. Anyone wanting to start a shop down here, you'd probably corner the market :D

landon
09-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Lucky you! We don't have any machine shops here in town willing to CNC out the cracked area and weld in new material. Anyone wanting to start a shop down here, you'd probably corner the market :D

The heads not getting machined - no one will do that (or recommends it at least) up here in Seattle either. I'm getting a rebuilt one instead.

SnakeyesTx
09-18-2006, 09:04 PM
I'd REALLY like to know what shop the guys that wrote the how-to article on doing the headgasket replacement took their cracked head to for CNC and rewelding. The after pics of the fix looked immaculate.

genphreak
09-19-2006, 02:34 AM
I'd REALLY like to know what shop the guys that wrote the how-to article on doing the headgasket replacement took their cracked head to for CNC and rewelding. The after pics of the fix looked immaculate.Looks can be deceiving. Welding anything that is cast that has to flex, change temperature and keep a seal along the way is a big ask. I would replace a head in all cases unless the location of the crack is not going to be under stress. But in most cases with the i6 it is- as this is why it cracked in the first place... it is a long iron block with an alloy head- and it runs hot by design. It is no small-block Chev.