PDA

View Full Version : Second thoughts.. E34 ownership

fujioko
09-17-2006, 08:33 AM
Let me start by saying I do like my e34, however I have issues. Being a minimalist I naturally preferred an automobile with less gadgets. My e21 had power mirrors and nothing else. No air, no radio, nothing.

Anyway when this E34 came along I was in the mood for an upgrade, so I jumped on the deal. I sold the E21 to offset the cost of the 525.

After 8 months of the E34 I find I certainly try to enjoy the car, however I’m finding the car is just not my style. I have to admit there is a certain grin factor that is addicting and has kept me from doing something stupid… such as selling the car.

This particular five series forum is the worlds best! If it had not existed then perhaps I would have moved on long ago.

Ok, first of all the 525 is way too fast for me.. Yeah, go ahead and laugh. Seriously I purposely put myself in underpowered cars because I have been known to drive too fast. It seems the speed alarm is always beeping at me (nice feature).

Second, the car seems too big…. Of course I knew that when I bought the car.

Third there are way too many gadgets. (99% of them actually work:D ). My biggest issue is the power windows.. I cant stand them. I prefer the hand crank.

The dilemma is what to do. The E34 is a toy in my stable and not my main transportation. Freedom in choices is a luxury I DO have. Of course I have the option of doing nothing, perhaps I need to spend more time with the car?.

If somehow I decide to take the “next step” then I would most likely sample an E30 or E39. I wont go back to the E21.

The good news is no mater what, there will always be a black 5spd BMW in my garage.

brosher
09-17-2006, 08:56 AM
Sounds like an E30 might be more up your alley. If you want something slow look for a E30 318i with a stick. It'll be fun to cruise around in and get great MPG. Good luck finding an E39 with hand crank windows. :D

winfred
09-17-2006, 09:49 AM
if you don't like gadgets you will despise a e39, a e30 is a good ride, i don't suggest a 84-85 318 as they are A pretty crappy to start with, B seriously beat on and C old and worn out, twin cam 318s ain't too bad but watch out for timing chain guide wear, it starts off with a noise and ends with a head rebuild when it throws the chain and dribbles the valves off the pistons, 325i's are quite fast with little massaging, 325e's are quick enough but the under 5k redline is a fun killer but they getting old (newest one is about to be 20 years old) the 88 325 aka the super e is little of both, the S models have trip computers sport seats and posi track diff's

ILoveMPower
09-17-2006, 10:21 AM
Definitely scoop up an E30, try to get either the M20, or if you want less power, M44 (I believe this is the 318 you want).

I don't know how your 525 is too fast for you, I'm always yearning for more power myself :)

horseheadnebula
09-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Man, if a 15-year old medium-luxury car is too much for you, then...

Thayne
09-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Man, if a 15-year old medium-luxury car is too much for you, then...

Agreed! I would suggest a E30. I have had two of them and they should be great for you.

BillionPa
09-17-2006, 01:55 PM
convert to LPG (lose some power, save lots of money on gas!)

convert power windows to hand crank (can this be done?)

325tds anyone?

Qube
09-17-2006, 03:13 PM
A 318is e30 will be right up your alley :) If not, go ahead and grab a 518 (blasphemy!)

bagpuss
09-17-2006, 03:55 PM
How about an E28 or E12 ? The crappier specs came with cranky windows and there's certainly not too many gadgets on an E12 ! (Might only come in a reddy/brown colour thesedays though !). E30's are nice, solid old tools generally, I just sold a 325i and it went very well, but you mightn't have liked it, it had power windows, but no 'gadgets' really so you might have half-liked it if you stayed in 2nd gear. I recon a nice 518 (old carb version) E12 or E28 will do you perfectly ! Cheers.

fujioko
09-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Wow, I thought I would get seriously flamed… not so. Thanks!

Most of all, I would hate to lose this group if I decide to trade in the 5’er for a 3’er.

Anyway I haven’t given up on the five yet…. Although I’ll keep an eye out for a black E30 318 with a five speed. Ya never know.

The road is filled with ignorant dumb asses, I find it hard to keep my cool if I’m driving something with a bit of power. Many years ago I decided not to be the solution but just become part of the problem. I bought a 3 cyl Geo Metro. With the metro I really had to work to keep pace with traffic. I found the drive more relaxing. Yeah, it sounds crazy.

Anyway the family forbid be from getting another Metro (not that I would).

RobPatt
09-17-2006, 08:52 PM
...it's like a go-kart... you're doing 40mph and it feels like 80 !

I had one for several years, 3cyl, 5 speed... in Portugal and Guam... ton of fun and really basic like you said. It was a 1995. Had it from 1995-1999.

Re: your 525, the thing is there's more or less the "right" BMW for everyone. Try another one on for size.... but maybe theE30 318 version like already said... the 325, esp the "is" model will really scoot.

Now, having a M50TU 525i "A", I'm wondering how I could get a hold of the "M"... 5 speed type... oh well.

Good luck.

ThoreauHD
09-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Sounds like he would enjoy the mini cooper. But a toyota prius or honda hybrid would also fit the bill of no power.. but has too many gadgets. No, maybe the cooper or a old VW bug would do it. No power but fun to drive.

3rdE34
09-17-2006, 11:24 PM
i thought VW bugs were fun to drive too, that was until i took a corner a bit fast in one and it did a side flip (not roll) onto its roof like a turtle..... lucky im still here to even tell about it.....

im with the general comment, look for a 3 series....

good luck

fujioko
09-18-2006, 07:16 AM
Well, If I do get rid of the E34, I’ll only get another BMW.

I have a late model Saturn SW1 for general purpose use. I also have my Triumph Spitfire for fun driving.

The Spitfire is only 55hp stock (usa). I put a Weber DGV and headers with a free flowing exhaust. I’ll tell ‘ya I didn’t like the car after that. It was too noisy. So I ebayed all the performance stuff and put the car back to stock.

Practically nobody even remembers that Spitfires were pathetic as far as performance. The styling suggests that is a fast car… and that is what most people think. As with the Metro, the Spitfire can be driven fast and it will turn on a dime. It’s just not as fast as it looks.

Yesterday I had the 5er out and about. The girl friends kid was sitting in the front and was fooling with all the buttons… Argggg. Perhaps this is what drives me crazy about gadgets.

winfred
09-18-2006, 08:11 AM
one of the guys here had a pretty nasty spitfire, he allready had a built bottom end with a cam and high compression pistons, a dgv and header, we then took a page from the factory racing manual and had just short of a 1/4 inch milled off the head to get some real compression out of it, it's been a while i think it was still happy on pump gas on the street but he gave it some race gas for autocrosing

The Spitfire is only 55hp stock (usa). I put a Weber DGV and headers with a free flowing exhaust. I’ll tell ‘ya I didn’t like the car after that. It was too noisy. So I ebayed all the performance stuff and put the car back to stock.

Practically nobody even remembers that Spitfires were pathetic as far as performance. The styling suggests that is a fast car… and that is what most people think. As with the Metro, the Spitfire can be driven fast and it will turn on a dime. It’s just not as fast as it looks..

Ross
09-18-2006, 11:29 AM
318i sounds like the only Bimmer for you then, get an auto to ensure slowness. Good luck finding anything from the last twenty years w/o pwer windows.
A Saturn and a Shitfire?? a GEO!! You're a masochist;right?

Bill R.
09-18-2006, 11:32 AM
quicker than you seem to think.

Sounds like he would enjoy the mini cooper. But a toyota prius or honda hybrid would also fit the bill of no power.. but has too many gadgets. No, maybe the cooper or a old VW bug would do it. No power but fun to drive.

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-18-2006, 01:31 PM
now that's pure minimalist

Lennyz525i
09-18-2006, 04:26 PM
He needs this:

http://jjd.com/mot/isetta.jpg

Still a bmw...

ricola
09-18-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm waiting for the punch line. really....

fujioko
09-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Lets see… a BMW Isetta or a mechanically challenged VW Thing. Yep, both fit the profile. The 318 with an autobox ohhh that’s real torture…. I would rather walk.

Ok, I say I’m unhappy with the E34, however every morning I have a choice… the Saturn or the BMW. I have chose the Bimmer seven out of seven days.

Hmmmm..

I’m going to give this a thought.

Digita1 Ecstasy
09-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Try an E28? Less "Gadgets" but still power windows. :p I love my 528e for a daily driver. Its slow, but it gets good mpg, I'd venture to say it even gets great mpg. One lovely thing about a slow Daily driver is that it makes your weekend car feel that much faster! hah. I think any BMW Enthusiast can appreciate the drive quality of an E28, love that boxy style too. The interior is more old fashion but still has power seets and moonroof. No LSD no TCS, lots of fun when the snow hits the ground. Old school bmw's always seem to carry so much character, test drive one. you'll like it.

calmloki
09-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Try an E28? Less "Gadgets" but still power windows. :p I love my 528e for a daily driver. Its slow, but it gets good mpg, I'd venture to say it even gets great mpg. One lovely thing about a slow Daily driver is that it makes your weekend car feel that much faster! hah. I think any BMW Enthusiast can appreciate the drive quality of an E28, love that boxy style too. The interior is more old fashion but still has power seets and moonroof. No LSD no TCS, lots of fun when the snow hits the ground. Old school bmw's always seem to carry so much character, test drive one. you'll like it.

No need to go slower with an E28: my 23 year old 260,000mile 533i kicked the ass of my 13 year old 160,000mile 525iT in all but room and fuel economy: 19+ overall versus 23.5 overall. I feel your feelings Fujioko: see my Adios thread:
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=26034
An '89 E30 will deliver about the same economy as an E34 525 - and be sprightlier and simpler. Not the cruiser though....

Digita1 Ecstasy
09-19-2006, 10:16 PM
No need to go slower with an E28: my 23 year old 260,000mile 533i kicked the ass of my 13 year old 160,000mile 525iT

? Well no ****, lol. Was talking about my 528e, which is very slow, and was pertaining to the fact that he should try an e, because of the added fuel economy.

Traian
09-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Get a VW Beetle...or better yet a Trabant if you can find one. All the slowness of your Geo, but with style baby!

http://www.bilrim.no/trabant-dyr.jpg

Traian
09-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Oh, I didn't read the BMW clause. Maybe a NA 1602/2002 then, I think you'd like a classic more than a modern (E34) type car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_New_Class

BMWDriver
09-19-2006, 11:02 PM
I like your wheels.
Try a 520 instead ? Switch the on-board computer for a clock ?
Hey, everybody's different.

I had personnaly hoped for an e30 or e39 myself, but this baby's a notch up for me! e30 is pretty rugged compared.

You might miss the comfort and sound proofing... I don't quite hear my engine at 5000 rpms sometimes... oh wait, the sound system is on and rockin' hard ! Love those speakers.

fujioko
09-20-2006, 05:47 AM
I think I understand why I’m not comfortable in the E34. Basically the five series are more of a cruiser than the three series.

Hmm…

Anyway I’m in the process of conditioning the leather and searching for a Ipod compliant radio (yet more gadgets).

I really think I’ll kept the car…

genphreak
09-20-2006, 06:22 AM
I think I understand why I’m not comfortable in the E34. Basically the five series are more of a cruiser than the three series. Hmm… Anyway I’m in the process of conditioning the leather and searching for a Ipod compliant radio (yet more gadgets). I really think I’ll kept the car…??? I just don't get this thread. I was gonna say "too many gadgets? Just don't use them" but then you posted saying you are adding more... hmm

Anyway. An e30 is less comfortable by design so your approach is confusing on that too.

However, if anyone sells their e34 cos it has power windows they should not be buying cars in the first place, communicating to others let alone a member of this board... 4FS! What is bad about an e34's power winders anyway- are they too fast?

Cos you say the 525 is too fast. If you really think you lose it too easily driving, would it not be better to do it in a car you won't die in?

My advice: Get an auto! Problem solved.

Since there are so many other things you can appreciate about the e34, perhaps it'd be more productive for you to turn your attention to other things than the car... how's the house? Is it comfortable or do you have too many remotes like the rest of us... :D Just kidding.

skr
09-20-2006, 05:34 PM
i can give you 2 rear manual widow lifters,a clock and a manual sunroof opener . :) for free if u pay shipping from europe. or if you go with e30 get a 324d. guaranteed to be slow

Gayle
09-20-2006, 07:24 PM
I can appreciate the desire for less gadgets. I just think of them as one more thing that will break and be a PITA to fix.

But I really don't get the suggestions that you get an e30 if the 5 series is too fast for you. I had a stock 90 e30 convertible and it was faster than my chipped 90 535.

KenB
09-20-2006, 08:11 PM
My e30 had almost all the same gadgets as my e34 except for it had unheated sport seats. It was an autotragic tranny so it was slower, though I wouldn't consider it REALLY slow.

https://home.comcast.net/~kbingert/onlinestorage/325e.jpg