PDA

View Full Version : Lift carpet by glovebox ?

bagpuss
09-17-2006, 06:51 AM
In tying to locate my alarm brain, and after some replies to a different thread, suggesting that for UK cars it could be under (or more correctly, in front of) the carpet thats in front of the glove box, I would like to be able to lift the carpet there to check. (For completeness, I've already checked and the brain is definately not under the rear seat and there seem to be a ton of wires running in this 'under-carpet' area).

However, it appears to me that the footwell carpet is part of a larger piece that goes behind the front of the centre console. Therefore how the hell do you get the carpet up without cutting it or dismantling the whole of the dash/centre console area ?

Incidentally, its a RHD car if that makes any difference, so I'm trying to get 'under' the carpet on the LHS of the car and I can see that I probably need to remove the 'speaker grill' trim to get at it from the left (as it tucks under there), but its the bit in the centre thats giving me the headache so would be grateful for the 'method'.

Cheers.

E34-520iSE
09-17-2006, 08:40 AM
Is it not above the glovebox? If you open your glovebox and remove the screws in the top panel (the one that holds the light) you can pull it down and have a look inside. It's pretty standard for aftermarket alarms to be hidden up there.

HTH,

Shaun

bagpuss
09-17-2006, 09:58 AM
No, its not an aftermarket, its standard bmw anti-theft system III, the one with the led on the dash that you press in for full-closure.

Anyway, I appreciate your comments but I've been round all this before many times in separate 'alarm' threads, all I need to know is how to get the carpet up in this thread.

Cheers.

DaveVoorhis
09-17-2006, 10:38 AM
Maybe I'm not understanding here, but as I recall, if you remove the carpet in the middle (I think it's clipped, screwed, or tucked up behind the glovebox) you expose the floor. I don't recall there being pockets for anything under it. On your right, you can remove the panel on the left side of the console, but that will just expose the heater pipes and an air duct. The kick panel / speaker grill on the left, however, has plenty of room for gadgets. Have you looked in there?

If you need to lift the passenger's carpet, I believe you have to remove the kick panel, then the carpet on the left side of the console (two screws, as I recall), and then some fastener which I've now forgotten behind the glove box, and then it should roll down.

bagpuss
09-17-2006, 10:49 AM
If you need to lift the passenger's carpet, I believe you have to remove the kick panel, then the carpet on the left side of the console (two screws, as I recall), and then some fastener which I've now forgotten behind the glove box, and then it should roll down.

Thanks, yes, in the LH footwell, there is a small piece of carpet on my right (LHS of the console) which has 2 screws, so remove that, thats fine (exposes pipes as you say). Then remove glove box and speaker panel so I can then get to the carpet edges on the left and at the top, thats fine too. However, the bit I am stuck on is that the carpet goes behind the console in a single piece, and I cant see how to release the RHS of the carpet (behind, or rather 'in front of' the LHS of the centre console) as its tucked behind there somewhere, seemingly all in one section. Do I just pull that part or what ? Thats the problem. It could be attached behind something I cant see (centre console). Hard to explain but done my best.

Cheers.

Bill R.
09-17-2006, 12:10 PM
III or as bmw calls it DWA III then your module should be under the rear seat. The dwa module isn't a big module like other alarm controls. Here's a bmw factory european wiring diagram which clearly states Antitheft system III dwa so you'll realize that they are one and the same. On the
US cars the amplifier for the stereo is in the trunk behind the cover on the left side fender, Possibly yours may be located there. In the ETK for the British model Its shows the layout like this, which looks like under the seat or in the trunk. Do you have the horn for the alarm in the place shown by the front headlight?

In tying to locate my alarm brain, and after some replies to a different thread, suggesting that for UK cars it could be under (or more correctly, in front of) the carpet thats in front of the glove box, I would like to be able to lift the carpet there to check. (For completeness, I've already checked and the brain is definately not under the rear seat and there seem to be a ton of wires running in this 'under-carpet' area).

However, it appears to me that the footwell carpet is part of a larger piece that goes behind the front of the centre console. Therefore how the hell do you get the carpet up without cutting it or dismantling the whole of the dash/centre console area ?

Incidentally, its a RHD car if that makes any difference, so I'm trying to get 'under' the carpet on the LHS of the car and I can see that I probably need to remove the 'speaker grill' trim to get at it from the left (as it tucks under there), but its the bit in the centre thats giving me the headache so would be grateful for the 'method'.

Cheers.

bagpuss
09-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Bill, Many thanks for persevering. I can accept BMW III=DWA III, thats fine, but the alarm is definately not under the seat - I posted my pics of under my rear seat in another thread. I have just now checked in the trunk behind the LHS carpet and no its not there either (the RHS houses the jack).

So I was going along the road of assuming it *could* be under the front left footwell carpet, as another UK guy with similar year car had his unit in that spot.

What I can confirm, is that the siren is on the LHS (passenger side on a RHD drive) behind the headlight - so its the opposite side to that shown in the diagram. It is part number 82 11 9 401 509. So perhaps if you could kindly show the rest of the 2nd diagram, I might be able to confirm that its the right diagram (from the Siren's part number) and further to then identify what items 15,9,2 and 13 in your diagram represent, as these look like 'boxes' and thus could be the brain perhaps and it might point me further to the location ?

Cheers.

Bill R.
09-17-2006, 12:42 PM
that horn part number was only used on the German version and with antitheft system I and II not III. The horn number here is highlighted, thats the only one that used that part number , all the others had different horns.

Bill, Many thanks for persevering. I can accept BMW III=DWA III, thats fine, but the alarm is definately not under the seat - I posted my pics of under my rear seat in another thread. I have just now checked in the trunk behind the LHS carpet and no its not there either (the RHS houses the jack).

So I was going along the road of assuming it *could* be under the front left footwell carpet, as another UK guy with similar year car had his unit in that spot.

What I can confirm, is that the siren is on the LHS (passenger side on a RHD drive) behind the headlight - so its the opposite side to that shown in the diagram. It is part number 82 11 9 401 509. So perhaps if you could kindly show the rest of the 2nd diagram, I might be able to confirm that its the right diagram (from the Siren's part number) and further to then identify what items 15,9,2 and 13 in your diagram represent, as these look like 'boxes' and thus could be the brain perhaps and it might point me further to the location ?

Cheers.

bagpuss
09-17-2006, 12:51 PM
Bill, thanks again, have sent PM of vin number. I am totally confused, as this is a System-III and here in the UK I believe its the dealers that fit the alarms (as there is a dealer label on the windows indicating the presence of the security system). Perhaps the dealers just use whats there. On reading the leaflet, it is clear that the functionality is that for for System-III, and in addition, I doubt they would insert a System-III leaflet if it were a System-I, plus as far as I can see, System-I did not have a radio remote, it was operated by a 'special jack plug inserted into the socket below the ignition key barrel' (according to another leaflet I have here). Hmmmm, the plot thickens.......

bagpuss
09-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Ooops cant PM you the vin # your box is full. OK here it is: GE48308.

Cheers.

Bill R.
09-17-2006, 01:02 PM
wiring harness in the etk it looks like the control unit is either in the Ebox up under the hood or its under the dash up front

Ooops cant PM you the vin # your box is full. OK here it is: GE48308.

Cheers.

bagpuss
09-17-2006, 01:12 PM
hehe, thanks Bill, so I'm probably back to trying to get this damn carpet up then ? I think the diagrams all assume LHD, as my siren was opposite to that shown, so I must assume then that if the pic shows the box on the RHS, that I must look on the LHS - would that be a fair assumption ?

So what I need to know now is how to get this carpet up and then what the part number for the remote for my system is and lastly, whether this is a system that comes with the removeable chip that you insert into the brain to program it - else if not, its all a bit of a moot point finding the damn thing ! Are you able to help with any of these items Bill ?

Info so far is much appreciated - at least I'm not going mad ! Cheers.

Bill R.
09-17-2006, 01:24 PM
4 is the led on the dash, is that about the location or yours or is yours where it would be if the wiring harness were reversed. And do you have the inclination sensor that is shown in the trunk on that side or on the other. Number 8 is the tilt/inclination sensor. It was optional on DWAIII so yours may or may not have it. I don't think your control unit will be under the carpet. I think it will be in the ebox or inside the kick panel on the sides or tucked way up under the dash up high.

hehe, thanks Bill, so I'm probably back to trying to get this damn carpet up then ? I think the diagrams all assume LHD, as my siren was opposite to that shown, so I must assume then that if the pic shows the box on the RHS, that I must look on the LHS - would that be a fair assumption ?

So what I need to know now is how to get this carpet up and then what the part number for the remote for my system is and lastly, whether this is a system that comes with the removeable chip that you insert into the brain to program it - else if not, its all a bit of a moot point finding the damn thing ! Are you able to help with any of these items Bill ?

Info so far is much appreciated - at least I'm not going mad ! Cheers.

bagpuss
09-17-2006, 01:33 PM
LED on dash is on RHS (drivers side for me) so thats not swapped. Inclination sensor, no idea what that looks like but on the LHS under trunk panel there is a 'box' about half way as far as the boot length is concerned and the numbers that I can read on that are 4061952 (but no idea if thats it). On RHS in trunk there is also a 'little black box' more or less right at the back - this looks more of a likely suspect for the sensor. Cheers.

bagpuss
09-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Perhaps the brain, item 2 could be behind the clocks of the dash ?

Do you have a part number for the remote - presumably item 6 in this diagram ?

What are items 9 and 10 ?

Cheers.

Bill R.
09-17-2006, 01:53 PM
apply to your vin number, so whatever they are they aren't used on your car.

Perhaps the brain, item 2 could be behind the clocks of the dash ?

Do you have a part number for the remote - presumably item 6 in this diagram ?

What are items 9 and 10 ?

Cheers.

bagpuss
09-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Thanks Bill. Now all I need to find out is whether that remote is the 'remove chip and plug into brain' type and then if so, to find the brain. Unfortunately, the 2 part numbers mentioned at: http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/prog_remote.htm

are not the part numbers for the remote that I need. Damn, this really is hard work for something so small !

Can someone confirm if they have remote 82 92 9 404 882 whether it has the removeable chip please ?

Cheers.

Bill R.
09-17-2006, 02:15 PM
all of these 5 and 6 come up as possiblities on a euro car with your vin. You may have to match it up to the control unit to find out which one you have.

Thanks Bill. Now all I need to find out is whether that remote is the 'remove chip and plug into brain' type and then if so, to find the brain. Unfortunately, the 2 part numbers mentioned at: http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/prog_remote.htm

are not the part numbers for the remote that I need. Damn, this really is hard work for something so small !

Can someone confirm if they have remote 82 92 9 404 882 whether it has the removeable chip please ?

Cheers.

bagpuss
09-17-2006, 03:17 PM
So I still need to find the brain then. Thanks Bill, a nice piece of detective work but dont know whether to be pleased or more pi$$ed off ! :-) :-(

Right, back to HTF do I lift this carpet ?

Cheers.

pgrindstaff
09-17-2006, 05:11 PM
Not to hijack the thread or anything but, I have located the plug for my keyless module and plan on buying a replacement but have one quiestion. My key has the fob built in, therefore, no chip, so, will the keyless modules that program a chip work with my key or is there a different module? If so, any ideas on what part number it is? If it matters, here is the info off the back of my key:
DOC/MDC: 267k1268
FCC ID: LX8 FZV

Again, sorry if it seems like I am hijacking the thread, but this somewhat relates.

Thanks,
-patrick