PDA

View Full Version : 535i vs Lexus ES400

Michael999
09-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Not a race.
My friend just got his 4.0 V8 Lexus (1990) so he brought it around to show us.
We all piled in and went for a drive, with 3 people in the car, i knew that it would lose power, but seeing as the car was big i didnt think it would make a huge difference. (3 ppl in the car)
After 5minutes of feeling like i was riding on a cloud, i told him to find some straight road and stomp on it, we came to some, i said nail it.
Nothing happens, ask again, he says he is.
I was shocked, after several spots where he was apparently giving the car all it had, was was pretty disappointed, the car was smoother than my 535, and quite a bit quieter, but it had zero feeling.
So we went home, and i took us for a drive in the 535, despite being an auto, and living in a hilly area, with 3 in the car, whenever i got to 4,000rpm the car came alive and launched, with a beautiful engine note and good feel.

After my friend left in his shiny new import, we talked about the ride, It was really umimpressive for what it was, it certainly felt slower than my e34.
However, the interior was alot nicer, much more modern and clean, and the back seat was far more impressive, it may have been because his leather had not turned into cast iron like mine, but oh well.

Just thought id share how special our cars really are :)

Qube
09-17-2006, 12:29 AM
IS ES... bah. All pillowy suspension non-drivers cars :)
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=24653

SC David
09-17-2006, 02:49 AM
If it was a 4.0 V8, it was probably a GS then. I've driven a few GS430's, and they seem pretty quick, but definitely floaty. And wood steering wheel ftl.

rob101
09-17-2006, 03:32 AM
Not a race.
My friend just got his 4.0 V8 Lexus (1990) so he brought it around to show us.
We all piled in and went for a drive, with 3 people in the car, i knew that it would lose power, but seeing as the car was big i didnt think it would make a huge difference. (3 ppl in the car)
After 5minutes of feeling like i was riding on a cloud, i told him to find some straight road and stomp on it, we came to some, i said nail it.
Nothing happens, ask again, he says he is.
I was shocked, after several spots where he was apparently giving the car all it had, was was pretty disappointed, the car was smoother than my 535, and quite a bit quieter, but it had zero feeling.
So we went home, and i took us for a drive in the 535, despite being an auto, and living in a hilly area, with 3 in the car, whenever i got to 4,000rpm the car came alive and launched, with a beautiful engine note and good feel.

After my friend left in his shiny new import, we talked about the ride, It was really umimpressive for what it was, it certainly felt slower than my e34.
However, the interior was alot nicer, much more modern and clean, and the back seat was far more impressive, it may have been because his leather had not turned into cast iron like mine, but oh well.

Just thought id share how special our cars really are :)
2 door or 4 door,
sounds like a grey import soarer GT v8 aka SC400

Michael999
09-17-2006, 04:01 AM
It was 4 door, and all leather inside, including steering wheel.
If it was faster than my E34, it did it without pushing me back in the seat at all.

Paul in NZ
09-17-2006, 04:37 AM
The early lexus was an LS wasnt it.Only one model then too

Airborne001
09-17-2006, 07:20 AM
because his leather had not turned into cast iron like mine

I just got my car a few months ago, and was amazed at how hardened the leather was. It ain't that way any more. You need about a quart of neatsfoot oil, and about 3 days that you are not going to drive the car, nut you will be amazed at how soft this can make the seats again.

Neatfoot oil is what we use on saddles to keep them looking new, trust me, if this stuff can keep a saddle soft in the conditions it has to endure , it will do wonders for your seats. Unlike other products, this stuff soaks right into the pores of the leather, but on coated seats like in the car, you have to give it time. Depending on what color interior you have, it will darken the seats a bit (perfect if you have black) but this will mellow in about a week.

You basically put it on with an applicator, (I use one of those dishwashing things that you put soap in the handle) and let it sit for 2-3 days in a cool place. Buff off any left on the surface ( I doubt there will be any) and you are good to go.

This works much better than any of the other "conditioners" I have seen out there thart just treat the outer surface of the seats, and don't do anything to keep the interior structure of the leather supple.

rob101
09-17-2006, 07:28 AM
It was 4 door, and all leather inside, including steering wheel.
If it was faster than my E34, it did it without pushing me back in the seat at all.
time to get a 540i mate. boy they are awesome cars even in auto, i can't imagine a 6 speed 540i!