PDA

View Full Version : M50TU Front Crank Seal

Aaron Bakos
09-16-2006, 06:04 PM
Well after a fair bit of inspection and deliberation I've determined that my front crank seal has fallen asleep on the job. She started leaking a couple drops of oil maybe a week ago, now she's leaking quite a bit more. I first thought it was just a pan gasket, but the hub is spinning oil all over as well.

Anyways...I have the fan and shroud off (95 525i 5spd) as well as the belts.

Is there a way to lock the hub to the block for the purposes of loosening the nut off the hub/into the crank? Bentley says that's a 300 ft-lb torque requirement, and even if I do manage to weasel it off of there I need to be able to get it back on. They also note a pin location in the bell housing that I can line up with the flywheel to lock eveything down, but I can't find it.

Any help or advice is appreciated!

yaofeng
09-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Set the engine to No. 1 piston TDC by lining up the mark on the flex damper to one on the timing cover. Then use a punch with a 1/4" end diameter to insert it in a hole below the starter on the block to lock the flex plate (or the flywheel).

Then you can remove the flex damper to do your thing.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_525i/DSC_1733a.jpg

Aaron Bakos
09-17-2006, 06:31 AM
Set the engine to No. 1 piston TDC by lining up the mark on the flex damper to one on the timing cover. Then use a punch with a 1/4" end diameter to insert it in a hole below the starter on the block to lock the flex plate (or the flywheel).

Then you can remove the flex damper to do your thing.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_525i/DSC_1733a.jpg

Groovy- I'll take another shot at it in a few minutes-

Thanks again!

Aaron

Aaron Bakos
09-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Figured out my problem...wife didn't have it all the way in gear yesterday. Put it in 4th and had her put her foot on the brake, broke it loose no problem.

I didn't think I had enough torque on it to slip an M5 clutch...

After that it was easy ;)

yaofeng
09-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Yes. I forgot, with the drive train connected to the wheels you don't need to lock the engine. But the hole is there if you need it.