PDA

View Full Version : OT: It's about time . . .

gale
09-16-2006, 03:32 PM
California bans cell phones (partially)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060916/pl_nm/life_california_cellphones_dc

I just wish they were totally banned everywhere. I've had too many near-misses, especially on my bike.

Please ignore me -- just my daily rant :(

nizmainiac
09-16-2006, 03:37 PM
they've been banned here in the u.k. for a while but no one takes any notice of it, i've even seen people reading newspapers whilst driving

Jehu
09-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Please ignore me will do, I think its perfectly silly to ban hand held. Studies have shown hands free are equally distracting so what's the use?They could never ban communication devices outright from being used while driving so this is political grandstanding.

M20Turbo
09-16-2006, 04:17 PM
I've had too many near-misses, especially on my bike.

near-misses = a hit!
near-hit = a miss

Alexlind123
09-16-2006, 04:30 PM
I dont get how driving with one hand is so much safer than driving with two. If you need to swerve quickly, just drop the phone.

Jehu
09-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Some weak minded people simply fail to remain mindful that they are driving and drift into their thoughts while talking on the phone then drive into someone. They do distract people but for me my occupation requires fairly regular communication while driving. If i had to pull over to talk every time i needed to I'd get nowhere fast.

Alexlind123
09-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Some weak minded people simply fail to remain mindful that they are driving and drift into their thoughts while talking on the phone then drive into someone. They do distract people but for me my occupation requires fairly regular communication while driving. If i had to pull over to talk every time i needed to I'd get nowhere fast.

I agree, if people remain alert and aware, cell phones dont really pose a huge risk. Then again, eveyrone is different and im sure some people cant handle it.

BTW, i want to see more pictures of your car.

Jehu
09-16-2006, 04:50 PM
have you looked at my personal website linked in my public profile?

Alexlind123
09-16-2006, 04:53 PM
have you looked at my personal website linked in my public profile?

It doesnt work properly for me, only three pictures of a house loaded.

Jehu
09-16-2006, 05:01 PM
well all i can suggest is to try refreshing the page. I was uploading some more pics maybe while you were trying toaccess it. it may be a load on your connection if you're using a dial up 56 k modem too as there is an embedded play list with some MP3.That's a house i was considering buying near by. Its on 4.3 acres next to 180 acres of conservation land.

http://users.adelphia.net/~cpkver8/images/Picture a037.jpg http://users.adelphia.net/~cpkver8/images/nose.JPG

http://users.adelphia.net/~cpkver8/images/Picture%20a056.jpg

Paul in NZ
09-16-2006, 05:25 PM
you guys are the problem.If you think you can hold a conversation about anything more involved than picking up something from the supermarket you are kidding yourself.You cannot devote your full attention to your driving if your mind is occupied with other matters.And driving requires your full attention,because if anything happens by the time you notice it it will be too late.The same goes for hands free because the distraction we are talkng about ,not driving with one hand

Jehu
09-16-2006, 05:29 PM
That is part of my point. I agree being in a lengthy conversation will more likely lead to greater distraction but I ,for instance only need to hold it for a few moments while getting some brief information. I never get into long chats while driving but why should i then be put in jeopardy because of foolish , selfish and thoughtless people. I know,I know , its the price we pay for having a civil society. I don't always have to like how that works out though, do i?

we_call_him_doher
09-16-2006, 07:48 PM
It isn't mentioned in that article, but Texas also forbids anyone under 18 from talking on their cell phones while driving. I have never seen if enforced though.

Bill R.
09-16-2006, 07:53 PM
time here. I too wish they were banned completely here while driving.

California bans cell phones (partially)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060916/pl_nm/life_california_cellphones_dc

I just wish they were totally banned everywhere. I've had too many near-misses, especially on my bike.

Please ignore me -- just my daily rant :(

Jr ///M5
09-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Banning the phones is one thing, teaching your spouse how to "throw" the cell, is quite the other. Lori is now well versed on "How to Throw a Cell". It is acceptable to talk on the phone while driving but the user must follow 2 basic rules...

1. Never talk in traffic, meaning, stoplights are a block apart, cars surround you. If you receive a call while in traffic, let the messaging function of the phone do it's job. If you're expecting a call and you're in traffic...see 2nd part of rule #1.

2. When exiting or approaching an on ramp, "THROW THE CELL!", you need BOTH hands on the wheel and your neck completely turned in order to see oncoming traffic sometimes. Your party on the other end of the line better understand that there is something more important at the present time than their conversation. They might get the hint when the phone goes...Ka-thump, bla-bump...preceeded by the quick words..."Hang on"..

While I agree it would be best if the phone calls during driving took place in a safer place, that isn't always possible, it's up to the user/driver to know when to "throw" the call, and when it's safe to talk. Most of the time it's the 4 wheel drive variety that runs you off the road whilest chit chatting on the mobil. Those groups do not take driving seriously and are totally engulfed in the conversation, and it's up to us to remember that when you're around them in traffic.

Traian
09-17-2006, 12:42 AM
I don't think I am a 'weak minded person' (then again I like to flatter myself :)), but I've noticed that almost every time I talk on my cell phone while driving I end up doing something stupid like cutting someone off or not paying enough attention, and thinking 'man, I really gotta stop doing that!' So I think the ban is a good idea.

Jehu
09-17-2006, 01:04 AM
You are then by both your own admission and at least my definition weak minded because you both want someone else to tell you you can't do something and you can't discipline yourself in safe conduct.Now I know at face value this reads like a rude and arrogant personal slam but I'd prefer it be viewed as tough love.It is possible to remain mindful enough of whatever it is you are doing at any given moment so as to adapt your behavior to maintain safety. That you're either unable to believe this for yourself or too lazy to practice should not be remedied by legislation which would penalize others who are able to conduct themselves in a conscious,safe manner.

Bright
09-17-2006, 03:17 AM
Sad state of affairs when folk become addicted, nay enslaved by technology. Give yerself some peace, switch it off for an hour, afterall if it's important they'll leave a message or call back.
Mobiles are great, but aren't they supposed to liberate us....not enslave!

Jehu
09-17-2006, 03:28 AM
Good advice but if i need to get a phone number or an address or convey an invoice number say seven digits none of which takes more than twenty seconds at an instance should i be subject to a fine and maybe a moving violation held against me simply because a high number of selfish people cause accidents by blathering away while driving ? Educate don't legislate.

Bright
09-17-2006, 03:41 AM
Good advice but if i need to get a phone number or an address or convey an invoice number say seven digits none of which takes more than twenty seconds at an instance should i be subject to a fine and maybe a moving violation held against me simply because a high number of selfish people cause accidents by blathering away while driving ? Educate don't legislate.
Educate, for sure..... travelling at 30 to 40 mph for maybe 15-20 secs max.... how far might your car travel without your full attention on the road? Then you multiply that up by the number of people travelling on the same road as you and if they were all doing the same thing.... sounds like a recipe for disaster, and of course that's an extreme example, not allowing for the chance that someone might suffer a heart attack at the wheel and lose control thru no fault of their own. You couldn't forsee that when reading the road, and if it occurred in the middle of your call, how soon could you react.
You might not necessarily cause an accident, but without your full attention on the road, neither might you be able to avoid one.

Bright
09-17-2006, 03:43 AM
Educate, for sure..... travelling at 30 to 40 mph for maybe 15-20 secs max.... how far might your car travel without your full attention on the road? Then you multiply that up by the number of people travelling on the same road as you and if they were all doing the same thing.... sounds like a recipe for disaster, and of course that's an extreme example, not allowing for the chance that someone might suffer a heart attack at the wheel and lose control thru no fault of their own. You couldn't forsee that when reading the road, and if it occurred in the middle of your call, how soon could you react.
You might not necessarily cause an accident, but without your full attention on the road, neither might you be able to avoid one.

Btw, Nice car

Jehu
09-17-2006, 03:53 AM
So if my office needed to relay some small bit of information to me how would you propose that be done without my being allowed to pick up the phone/radio(i use a two way radio) and confirm i got the info?You would require i wait till i approach an exit then find a place to pull over and say 10-4?! If i pick up my radio for five seconds even ten I'm not forced to lose sight of the conditions around me while I'm driving.That i be required to do this dozens of times a day?Sorry, no thanks. Don't ask me to dumb down to accommodate others, let them smarten up.Its no accident i live in New Hampshire where the State Motto is "Live Free or Die" we abhor the nanny State ideology here.All making it illegal to grab my phone for a few seconds will do is add one more thing i need to watch out for while I'm doing it, the cops!

Bright
09-17-2006, 04:45 AM
You misunderstand me, I am for education not legislation if possible. Taxi drivers etc couldn't run an efficient service without good communication, but that's very different to the sort of folk who run around with a mobile clamped to their ear permanently with blatant disregard for all around them, just because they can. Similarly with those who smoke, drink, eat and try to read a map and driving instructions at the wheel, I don't recall being given any lessons on how to cope with that when I was taught to drive. In fact I'm sure you're actively discouraged from performing those taskswhile at the wheel.
So how do we educate people to use their phones safely, whilst also protecting the rest of the motoring public from phone users whose concentration may lapse?

Paul in NZ
09-17-2006, 05:39 AM
its always the other guy who cant do it

mattyb
09-17-2006, 06:41 AM
damn right Paul, theres been enough folk here killed by idoits txting or talking while they are driving. unfortunaltley it needs to be all or nothing. the fact that most folk are even unable to drive properly let alone while on a damn phone is proof enough. if its to be educate not legislate, as others want, then lets raise the bar for driver education and the testing standards and qualifications that go with it. Its the same poor logic that goes with drink driving. every one thinks they are differant from everybody else and is able to drive ok with a few beers under the belt. its ******** logic and if the attitude of "the state"( whatever that state was) is live free or die well dont be complaining when some one they know dies as a result of driver distraction, and if they are that convinced that its still ok dont even charge the offending driver with manslaughter, just educate him not legislate him!

Bright
09-17-2006, 07:16 AM
Using a mobile phone while driving is illegal here in UK, but folk don't let a little thing like the law get in the way of doing exactly what they want and getting away with it too, until an accident occurs. So legislation doesn't work and as of yet neither does education, and it would seem that common sense isn't so common.

gale
09-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Education isn't going to do a damn bit of good. The US Surgeon General mandated in 1964 that cigarette companies print warnings on tobacco products and ever since then countless public service messages have broadcast the dangers of smoking, yet people still smoke and even have the balls to sue tobacco companies when they contract emphasima or lung cancer.

Legislation is all well and good but has no effect if there isn't enforcement to go along with it. We have a helmet law in New Mexico which was put on the books not long ago but lasted only for about a year. The law is still on the books but no cop will ever pull you over for riding without a helmet.

Now we all can probably agree that the police have more urgent matters to tend to than pulling someone over for talking on a cell phone. On the other hand, studies have shown that driving while on a cell phone has a similar detrimental effect as driving after having consumed 1.5-3 drinks. Most states have a .08 blood alcohol limit and vigorously set up check points on holidays and weekends. It takes what -- 2 beers in succession to reach a .08 yet we want to turn a blind eye to someone texting while driving? When you were a kid, did you ever try to get your mom's attention while she was on the phone -- not gonna happen.

Common sense is the answer. To quote my hero, Harry (Clint Eastwood) Callahan: "a man's gots ta know his limitations"

Felixdacat
09-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Dc has been this way for awhile now. Fines vary

Traian
09-18-2006, 12:31 AM
You are then by both your own admission and at least my definition weak minded because you both want someone else to tell you you can't do something and you can't discipline yourself in safe conduct.Now I know at face value this reads like a rude and arrogant personal slam but I'd prefer it be viewed as tough love.It is possible to remain mindful enough of whatever it is you are doing at any given moment so as to adapt your behavior to maintain safety. That you're either unable to believe this for yourself or too lazy to practice should not be remedied by legislation which would penalize others who are able to conduct themselves in a conscious,safe manner.

Point taken, but my post wasn't so innocent as you interpreted it. It does not matter to me one whit what the legislation is when I decide to pick up my phone while driving, I will or will not motivate myself to not answer the call. My point was that driving and phoning are, for someone with, let's say, average faculties, blatanly dangerous. Just as you call me weak minded for admitting my weakness, I could call you delusional about being in denial of something that I consider fairly obvious.

Jehu
09-18-2006, 12:42 AM
I drive and have for the last eleven years between 50 and 70 thousand miles a year and use the cell phone /radio as needed for brief communication, not anything usually even approaching a minute.I would really like to be able to continue to do so without risking legal entanglements because human nature defaults to the lazy and incompetent.Its only after having driven so much that i say with confidence i am not delusionally denying an other wise obvious fault. I can manage to use a cell phone while driving and not become involved in a car wreck.I would that it were so for everyone and i honestly see no reason why it shouldn't so be.

mattyb
09-18-2006, 02:18 AM
because most folk are not as good as you doing it. can you tell me honestly that you have never seen some 17/18 and the rest, year old air head driving about on the phone totally oblivious to every thing else around them them?

Jehu
09-18-2006, 07:51 AM
I see them of all ages and it annoys me but i see it as a behavior that can be changed without resorting to legal penalties which could impact me. Its just the Nanny State mentality gone wild.Eventually they'll make sex illegal because it could lead to conception which could lead to a birth who could eventually harm someone else someday.Ban Humanity, a danger to itself!

Robin-535im
09-18-2006, 11:45 AM
will do, I think its perfectly silly to ban hand held. Studies have shown hands free are equally distracting so what's the use?They could never ban communication devices outright from being used while driving so this is political grandstanding.

Personally... I don't agree with most "studies" :)

My wife's car has the on-star phone, which comes on through the speakers and such. It's just like talking to a passenger in the car... well, a passenger with bad hearing so you have to talk louder and slower.

It's MUCH easier to drive with that setup than with a hand-held phone. Amazing how much difference it is when all you have to do is talk, and not worry about manipulating the phone. Just my experience though... and I always decline when the "studies" people call...

SharkmanBMW
09-18-2006, 12:05 PM
You misunderstand me, I am for education not legislation if possible. Taxi drivers etc couldn't run an efficient service without good communication, but that's very different to the sort of folk who run around with a mobile clamped to their ear permanently with blatant disregard for all around them, just because they can. Similarly with those who smoke, drink, eat and try to read a map and driving instructions at the wheel, I don't recall being given any lessons on how to cope with that when I was taught to drive. In fact I'm sure you're actively discouraged from performing those taskswhile at the wheel.
So how do we educate people to use their phones safely, whilst also protecting the rest of the motoring public from phone users whose concentration may lapse?

I agree ... phones are just one of the issues... food and smokes are another.

BTW, I only answer and take a message then call back when I am no longer driving.
Even with my Bluetooth headset, I am not comfortable talking for more than a minute. I like to pay attention when I drive!

Incantation
09-18-2006, 03:14 PM
those fines are a joke