PDA

View Full Version : Replace exhaust system with OE,OEM or other?

Russell
04-09-2004, 12:43 PM
My 95 525i exhaust is getting is louder. I want to replace it this summer(from the cat back) with an oe or oem type of exhaust. I am considering the dealer, independent shop or midas. I do not want to do it myself. Nor do I want a performace exhaust system Any of you guys have any suggestions on which approach and costs?

Also, what is the vibration dampner that appears to be part of the exhaust system??? Does this need to be replaced or will it bolt back on to oe, oem or midas exhaust parts?

Thanks in advance

callen
04-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Russell:

I bought complete system from Beckers and it worked great. Factory mountings, good price and after two years still doing good....course I live in south. I installed myself going to BMW for new hangers and hardware. Sure you could have someone install inexpesively if you didn't want to tackle yourself. Really wasn't hard thought.

Callen 91 535i 5spd

Tiger
04-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Get Ansa from BMA and have your garage put it in. Cheap overall... stay away from Midas (American crap that will rust out in 3 years)... Dealer is way too high. Ansa sounds just like OEM... maybe a tad quieter.

George M
04-09-2004, 02:59 PM
will disagree with Tiger on this one. Ansa is the last exhaust system I would buy. Go Eberspaecher for the best OEM replacement exhaust for these cars...beats Ansa and Bosal hands down and rivals Boysen for quality.
Read Don Gale's review of his Eberspaecher installation for some perspective.
HTH,
George

Asharus
04-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Around how much does this cost? I'm thinking about silencing my car as well..

gale
04-09-2004, 03:50 PM
My Eberspaecher front & rear mufflers have held up extremely well in the last 3 years. Looks like Eurasian has the best prices on them & I see they offer the OE Boysen's that came with mine new:

http://www.eap4parts.com/

Zygmunt's used to have Eberspaecher's at good prices but looks like they don't carry them at the moment and have raised their prices significantly.

I'm sure an independent muffler shop could do an excellent install for a decent price if you were to supply your own mufflers. Have them weld the joint between the fronts & rears (vs. clamping them). It might be better to have them weld them in place vs. on the ground. I spent a lot of time getting them to mate properly on the ground. It worked fine, but most shops will have a lift & very easy for them to weld them in place.

Tiger
04-09-2004, 06:46 PM
I agree Eberspaecher is better made than Ansa. I have Ansa on two of my cars in NNJ... first one lasted 7 years and just the tailpipe fell off... center muffler fine. The other Ansa just went in 1 year ago. The Eberspaecher that I had lasted 10 years until the rear muffler had rust and center muffler is fine like new.

The rule I make is this... if Ansa is significantly cheaper by 40% or more, I'd go for that... If the price is similar, I'd pick Eberspaecher anytime.

In all cases, if you only drive your car short distances every day, then any muffler you buy will rust out in 3 years... doesn't matter what brand you buy... your exhaust never get hot enough to boil off the water in exhaust system.

George M
04-10-2004, 10:30 AM
Don,
You say Eurasian now carries the OE Boysen exhaust for our cars? Do you know if they are comparably priced to Eberspaecher? Is the Boysen sold/shipped one piece from CAT back as they are originally installed on our cars?
George

gale
04-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Hi George,

Eurasian's muffler page for 735i/iL's comes up blank so guess you'd have to call their 1-800 number. Yes, they do list both Eberspaecher & Boysen fronts & rears for e34 m50's, the Boysen front is $20 more then the Eb. but the Eb. rear is $10 more than the Boysen so as a set it would be about a wash. Can't say if they can still get the combined set as an integral unit, my local dealer quit getting them that way many years ago, said they took up too much room to shelve & were awkward for shipping/receiving but didn't mention if BMW still offered them as such.

Interestingly tho, another vendor I have dealt with is Impex which deals mostly in VW parts but carries BMW, Audi, Jaguar, & Mercedes as well. They list a couple complete exhaust systems for our 735's $440 & 500, but don't distinguish by brand or front/rear but from that price, I would assume it's for both. Again, can't say if they're and integral unit.:

http://www.impexfap.com

Regards,

Don "ET" gale

George M
04-11-2004, 09:24 AM
Thank you my evil twin. :-) for your in depth analysis as usual. Next to Bill, I don't know anybody who understands the details of these cars better than yourself. Interesting that Boysen is coming up separate front and back sections for the E-34. As heavy as the Boysen is, if available, would have to give it careful consideration....a very robust exhaust from a durability standpoint. I still have the original Boysen one-piece exhaust, though degrading, on my 735iL...fourteen years old and 149k miles...impressive.
Hope you are enjoying that 5 speed as we are getting into the good weather.
George