PDA

View Full Version : Driver seat swap

jnmip
09-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Hi All

I tried to do a thorough search but couldn't find a relevant answer.

My passenger seat has a small tear in it and the driver's seat is cracked, dry and faded. I tried the leatherique products but it did help much.

Here's the question. Can a passenger seat be used to replace the driver seat? I realize the hole for the arm rest is an issue.

I seem to be able to come accross plenty of light gray passenger seats but no driver's seats. I also don't have a wrecker nearby but Bobby Thrash on ebay has several passenger seats in the right color.

BTW my seats are also heated.......as my wife will be when I spend more money on the old E34. :D

Thanks for the assist

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-15-2006, 06:05 PM
they only differance that i have found is the base and the back.

The frame for the seat back has lugs in it for both positions for the arm rest.

Take the back panel off the seat and you'll see what I am talking about.

jnmip
09-16-2006, 06:57 AM
they only differance that i have found is the base and the back.

The frame for the seat back has lugs in it for both positions for the arm rest.

Take the back panel off the seat and you'll see what I am talking about.

Thanks Bob.....I'll take a look

Kalevera
09-19-2006, 03:32 AM
Everything can be swapped over with the exception of the arm rest. You may need to graft your original driver's seat harness on to the replacement (passenger) seat, and obviously -- the outside edge trim panels and arm rest won't work from the passenger seat. Never done this one myself, but I've taken apart a few seats and am certain that it can be done.

best, whit

tvurt
09-19-2006, 07:45 AM
Don't swap seats, just swap the leather cushions for the back and seat. They are held on with bendable tabs, and circlips. About an hour job, per seat. I ordered some cheap passenger seat cushions off of ebay, and fitted them to my drivers seat.

You can even get a passenger arm rest, drive out the retaining plug (drill press), and reverse the throw (flip it over) and have a brand new looking armrest.

Tom

jnmip
09-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Everything can be swapped over with the exception of the arm rest. You may need to graft your original driver's seat harness on to the replacement (passenger) seat, and obviously -- the outside edge trim panels and arm rest won't work from the passenger seat. Never done this one myself, but I've taken apart a few seats and am certain that it can be done.

best, whit

Thanks for the insight.......I figured I could use the existing trim panels, switches and seat backs as long as the wiring will reach to the opposite side.

jnmip
09-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Don't swap seats, just swap the leather cushions for the back and seat. They are held on with bendable tabs, and circlips. About an hour job, per seat. I ordered some cheap passenger seat cushions off of ebay, and fitted them to my drivers seat.

You can even get a passenger arm rest, drive out the retaining plug (drill press), and reverse the throw (flip it over) and have a brand new looking armrest.

Tom

Now that you suggest it swapping skins may be the quicker way to go......everything else, including armrests and cushions, works just fine.

Good idea!