PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish Window and Central Lock Issue

Happy_Go_Lucky
09-15-2006, 02:15 AM
It's me again, the new boy on the block. I've done a lengthy search, but cannot find much on this. Can anybody out there tell me if these two are related, and what the fix could be. 1 - The drivers side window (this is a RHD vehicle) is very sluggish in both the down and up direction. The other windows all work fine. Even the auto open/close works fine on the drivers side, but still very sluggish. I'd estimate this window takes twice as long to either open or close, as compared to the other 3 non-drivers glass. 2 - The second issue is the central locking. When I lock the car, the lock pops back up again, and I have to re-lock it. Then when I unlock it, it locks itself again, requiring me to re-unlock it. This even works from the boot-lock (you guy's call it the "trunk", right?). I have checked the fusable link, etc., but cannot find anything thus far. Are these items somehow related? If so, what and where? Thanks.

joshua43214
09-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Window is most likely either a sticky regulator or a tired lift motor. Remove the door panel and lube all the moving parts, it may help to remove the regulator from the door so you can work the lube in better. Lube the window glass guides with baby powder or spray silicone, make sure they are not crimping the glass. Carefuly observe the window lifting with the door panel off to ensure the regulator is not out of adjustment. If it is still slow, it is most likely a tired lift motor. You can verify its currnet draw at the fuse with an ampmeter and compare it to the opposite window, or just replace the motor and hope you made a good geusse.

The door lock problem is common and well covered, it will most likely be the wiring harness in the trunk lid hinge or either a weak actuator or a sticky door latch. Pop the cover off the trunk lid hinge and look at the wires for cracks and the like, If the harness seem to be in good shape, careful watch the door locks when you lock the drivers door for one that seems to lag behind a bit, then repeat at the passenger door, unplug the slow one and see if it works properly.

Basicaly what happens is that if you lock a door, and an actuator does not travel far enough, the central locking will interpret its partial position as an unlock comand and unlock every thing.

Good luck

Bill R.
09-15-2006, 10:09 AM
way that the central locking let you know there is a fault in the system, any fault, and it would cause the doors to unlock when the locked and then lock the second time, also the same when unlocking. In either 94 or 95 they did away with this, I think its on 95 when they made the normal locking position the double lock also.

"Basicaly what happens is that if you lock a door, and an actuator does not travel far enough, the central locking will interpret its partial position as an unlock comand and unlock every thing."

Good luck[/quote]

joshua43214
09-15-2006, 02:43 PM
ahhh, very cool. learn something new every day