PDA

View Full Version : Clear lens installation

Nick.H
04-09-2004, 07:49 AM
Hey guys,

With my non-genuine :( clear lens kit arriving soon. I was wondering if anybody know how difficult these are to install.

Should I get my BMW mechanic to fit them??

Has anybody had the non-genuine clear tailights allow water into the boot?? Last thing I want is for the bastards to leak!!

How difficult are the front turn indicator lenses to fit??
The side repeaters and rear tailights seem easy enough.

Does anyone have a step-by-step guide??

Thanks in advance,
Nick in Tasmania AUST

ronn227
04-09-2004, 07:59 AM
I just bought the clear corners on ebay. how much did you pay for the clear taillights?
It's just screwing them on & off, looks easy. are you using a different bulb for the front clear corners?

Ron
94 530i

Loke
04-09-2004, 09:28 AM
Real lights are *very* easy to change, and if the gasket on the replacement part is like it should be, theres no reason you will get waterleaks.

The front sidemarkers are also pretty easy to replace. It helps alot to look at the replacement part, and get an idea where the bolts are located _before_ you try removing the original ones.

The sidemarkers are different for US and EU models, so cant help you here. I think the US has bumper-fitted sidemarkers? I havent received my clear lens sidemarkers yet, but I have removed the original ones for a look-see. Its 1 bolt and a clip, pretty easy fit. But Im not entirely sure how Im going to fit the wire on the sidemarkers. AFAICS the only way to reach is through the sidemarker hole, and its damn small...

Raz
04-09-2004, 06:10 PM
The front lenses are a doddle to fit - just two self tappers into the lense bodies and a bolt into the wing. Whole job should take abot 15 minutes

Nick H
04-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Paid $67.50 AU for the front lenses and side markers, and
paid $177 AU for the rear lenses. The freight was a not included.

I haven't sorted out globes yet, but apparently you can get globes finished in silver that flash orange... Might have to get some of those!!

I also scored a set of Kevlar & Carbon Fibre roundels... They are the same as original, except where the original ones are blue, these are multi-layered carbon fibre look!! Should be a little different!! :D

Check out www.ebay.com.au and search for BMW. It brings up some pretty cool stuff!!

Ciao for now,
Nick H in Tasmania, AUST