PDA

View Full Version : A case for better manners ?

Zeuk in Oz
09-14-2006, 02:57 AM
Call me an old fart if you wish, but has anyone noticed a lack of courtesy creeping into threads ?

If you start a thread and someone replies, it is just good manners to answer that reply, either individually or en masse.

Just a simple little thing that gentlemen like Shogun and many others do as a matter of course.

It would be nice if those who started threads showed some ownership of that thread and so responded to any assitance given.

Only a little thing, and I will get down from my soapbox now !

Where's my valium & warm milk ? :D

rob101
09-14-2006, 04:07 AM
manners? on an internet forum..................................... wait a sec i have to pinch myself.
no okay i wasn't dreaming.

BigKriss
09-14-2006, 04:16 AM
I don't see the point in replying to every thread thanking the people for their assistance. Maybe the board will become too clutered and instead you can PM the posting the thread thanking them that way.

Nick.Hay
09-14-2006, 04:19 AM
Old Fart!!

hehehee... :D

I agree with you tho, however, I am not about to stress over it. If I ask advice, and someone offers good, useful advice, then I will reply, usually with thanks. If its, "oh, you're a dreamer", or general flames/no useful replies. Then I'm not gonna offer thanks for ********/abuse.

Common sense needs to be the rationale used for this one ;)

BigKriss
09-14-2006, 05:23 AM
I usually reply back with "thanks guys" and post the solution to my problem also.

Zeuk in Oz
09-14-2006, 06:04 AM
I usually reply back with "thanks guys" and post the solution to my problem also.
All of you who have replied so far already do it.

I'm not stressing, just raising awareness.

Thanks for the input. ;)

pundit
09-14-2006, 06:25 AM
Okay thanks.... now I've got a bunch of mobile phones for sale....

NOKIA
SONY
MOTOROLA
SAMSUNG
LG
PANASONIC... etc, etc.

...all cheap, cheap, cheap!!

Just gimme your credit card details... oh and yeah... THANKS!! :D :D :D

KenB
09-14-2006, 08:34 AM
You probably won't see much more "manners" than what is existing in the population in general.

Although you'd think there would be a higher incidence within a shared community, it is becoming more obvious that common sense is becoming very UNcommon.

Ross
09-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Agreed

mattyb
09-14-2006, 10:28 AM
you are damn right. Its the same kind of punk bad ass attitude these little pricks are living with all their respect me crap, and walking about with their hats on bakwards and hoods over their heads and all the rest of the ******** they seem to carry on with. i put a motion forward to bring back flogging, stoning and all the things that made discpline something to remember. I truly beleive this is the root of the problem. Lack of communicating manners and good behaviour stems from a lack of good old behavior patterns and blah blah balh you all dont give a **** really do you

jnmip
09-14-2006, 11:27 AM
you are damn right. Its the same kind of punk bad ass attitude these little pricks are living with all their respect me crap, and walking about with their hats on bakwards and hoods over their heads and all the rest of the ******** they seem to carry on with. i put a motion forward to bring back flogging, stoning and all the things that made discpline something to remember. I truly beleive this is the root of the problem. Lack of communicating manners and good behaviour stems from a lack of good old behavior patterns and blah blah balh you all dont give a **** really do you

Thank You

Jimbo
09-14-2006, 11:57 AM

So would we say that the last sentence of your paragraph exhibited good manners? (I know you were probably joking, but still). I do agree though that society/celebrity behavior... is creating much of the problem.

Anyway, one of the things that annoys me is when someone asks a question, gets alot of good answers/ideas from other members, and then never follows up with how the problem ended up being solved, let alone a thank you. Then when i search the forum for answers i get a bunch of unfinished threads and I have no clue whether any of the ideas worked or not.

So please, don't just thank people for their help, also follow up with your results so we can create a more comprehensive database of knowledge.

mattyb
09-14-2006, 05:23 PM
it was kind of a joke but thank you for mentioning celebrity behaviour.its very much responsible. I was at the rsl the other day and bought a beer when givng me the change the young bar attendant in leui of saying thankyou said yo! being somewhat taken aback and not sure how to respond i asked sorry what was that? he said yo! thinking he knew not better all I could reply with was keep it real. my mate next to me just laughed.

GJPinAU
09-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Who is this guy?

Seriously, I wonder how the youth of today would behave if we treated them the same as they treat the rest of society?

And I'd like a better manor - this ones getting too small.

Zeuk in Oz
09-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks for humouring me guys !

I will crawl back into my little hole where I belong now. ;)

Zeuk in Oz
09-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Anyway, one of the things that annoys me is when someone asks a question, gets alot of good answers/ideas from other members, and then never follows up with how the problem ended up being solved, let alone a thank you. Then when i search the forum for answers i get a bunch of unfinished threads and I have no clue whether any of the ideas worked or not.

This paragraph says what I was trying to say, but far more eloquently.

KenB
09-14-2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks for allowing me to stand on your soapbox.:D

ThoreauHD
09-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Hmm.. somebody's got a lil sand in their vagina.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/SandyVag.gif

But it's ok. I agree. A little kindness goes a long way.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/kick.jpg

pundit
09-15-2006, 02:58 AM
Thanks for humouring me guys !

I will crawl back into my little hole where I belong now. ;)
GET BACK I SAY!!... BACK IN YOUR HOLE!!... AND DON'T COME OUT UNTIL I TELL YOU TO!!

BLOODY WHIPPERSNAPPERS!!... I DON'T KNOW?... WHAT'S THE WORLD COMING TO?!! :D :D :D

Jimbo
09-15-2006, 03:16 AM
This paragraph says what I was trying to say, but far more eloquently.

Thank you Zeuk, I appreciate the compliment :) . It was about time someone started a thread on this subject.

Unfortunately, I think the main offenders regarding bad manners are the members who might join, start one thread, and then never return until they have another problem, not the more active members who care something about the forum.

chris_e34
09-15-2006, 03:31 AM
one of the things that attracted me to this forum was the generosity and accuracy people directed twoards my problem. Someone usually is always willing to lend their time. This forum has something others dont, Dedication. If your not willing to respect someones input, eventually people lose interest. No team or group ever accomplished anything by puting each other down or not respecting each other.

Paul in NZ
09-15-2006, 03:58 AM

So please, don't just thank people for their help, also follow up with your results so we can create a more comprehensive database of knowledge.

100 per cent agree,and Zeuk i agree that one SHOULD at least acknowledge a poster

mamilapon
09-15-2006, 04:23 AM
Totally agree withyou mate, a degree of courtesy would make this forum much more enjoyable.Sorry, I'm a 45 year old fart, Been raised on thank you's and not at all's.

Paul in NZ
09-15-2006, 04:38 AM
youre welcome :)

E34-520iSE
09-15-2006, 04:40 AM
one of the things that attracted me to this forum was the generosity and accuracy people directed twoards my problem. Someone usually is always willing to lend their time. This forum has something others dont, Dedication. If your not willing to respect someones input, eventually people lose interest. No team or group ever accomplished anything by puting each other down or not respecting each other.

Without the internet's wealth of information and user groups it would be much harder (and expensive) to repair and research common problems, be it be a blown bulb or a good timber merchant. If someone is willing to take time out to write some helpful info they should be shown some gratitude and respect. There's guys on this forum who deserve a beer or two from me, that's for sure!

Cheers,

Shaun

RobE34
09-15-2006, 06:57 AM
Zeuk... well said.
I won't put my 2 cents worth in to all your brilliant technical threads because I really can't contribute like the "big timers" or "grand masters". I sure do like reading their replies to the multitude of questions though.
I too have noticed a certain lack of gratitude and what appear to be unfinished threads. Pity. I still enjoy opening the door for my bride of 27 years. So do our kids.
Mattyb you're on the right track but I believe the parents are to blame for their lack of discipline. Boy oh boy are we going to pay for it in twenty years time. Bring on compulsory national service again. Just don't send 'em to war.
Now...a nice cup of Horlicks and fill up the hot water bottle :D :D :D

ricola
09-15-2006, 07:22 AM
There's a fine line between mannors and ass kissing. People are busy these days. Some of us have jobs, kids, a house, a wife, a lake home, and too many other daily demands to check the BBS every few minutes to see if someone added a comment to our thread. On the other hand I think if you have some time you could thank people for responding to my posts for me...if you want....

Joking! :p

RobPatt
09-15-2006, 05:52 PM
...but heck, it's hard to find good reliable information, from experienced sources and when you receive, a simple "thanks guys" is fine. Even better add a little feedback about the smaller nuances of the problem or solution. ( Give a little something back to the board... so the next guy has more "hits" if/when he/she searches the archives...).

If you're going to read the thread you started to get some advice... only takes a second to say thanks regardless of HOW busy you are....

Hasn't the board saved you more than enough TIME and MONEY to give back a simple, courteous, "thank you". ?

My turn:
THANKS Ed for running this thing!
THANKS Bill R and Bruno and Regal623 and Lowell and JonK and Gale and... the list goes on...

Thanks to this board I have:
fixed seat twists
fixed gas flap hinge
fixed shimmey from rotors
replaced all control/thrust arms
installed sachs kit
installed EAT chip
installed style 5s WITH hubcentric rings the first time... :-)
mastered the infamous cabin microfilter change
learned what spark plugs to stick with....
beat the infamous trans program message....
..and what else have I forgot?

Thank you.

Zeuk in Oz
09-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Zeuk... well said.
I won't put my 2 cents worth in to all your brilliant technical threads because I really can't contribute like the "big timers" or "grand masters". I sure do like reading their replies to the multitude of questions though.
I too have noticed a certain lack of gratitude and what appear to be unfinished threads. Pity. I still enjoy opening the door for my bride of 27 years. So do our kids.
Mattyb you're on the right track but I believe the parents are to blame for their lack of discipline. Boy oh boy are we going to pay for it in twenty years time. Bring on compulsory national service again. Just don't send 'em to war.
Now...a nice cup of Horlicks and fill up the hot water bottle :D :D :D

Interesting to note, Rob, that most of those agreeing with me are our generation. Perhaps it really is a generational thing.

Also interesting that my almost grown children, (18 & 19), still address our friends, and so the parents of their peers, as Mr & Mrs XYZ, rather than using their first names, as is becoming the norm.

Probably just old fashioned values !

ThoreauHD
09-15-2006, 11:14 PM
I tend to come here because the kids(17-23) tend to be more mature. And the rest are mature.

They do have folks that happen by to post a question without any kind of follow-up or conclusion- but it's just as well they don't come back. If they don't make time to help others- then **** them and their job, wife, 2 kids, lake house, and shaved pet gerbil. Having responsibility isn't exclusive to you. Everyone here has responsibilities. It's just that the people that take the time to help another person think there's more to life than eating, sleeping, and shitting on your fellow man.

I realize that the above post was made in jest, but a joke is a joke because it's true. And it is. Some people are selfish. And they will burn in hell. The end.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e390/madfire932002/oz33.jpg

rob101
09-15-2006, 11:22 PM
Everyone here has responsibilities. It's just that the people that take the time to help another person think there's more to life than eating, sleeping, and shitting on your fellow man.

I realize that the above post was made in jest, but a joke is a joke because it's true. And it is. Some people are selfish. And they will burn in hell. The end.

thats for sure, and about maturity: i go to other boards the usual BS that happens there annoys me, and every second moron saying, "check out my fully sick body kit" "should i get 20" rims on my e30" "will a T88-34D fit on my 1.8L engine" or whatever. its just so annoying SHUT UP, no real technical content on those boards at all.