PDA

View Full Version : The Gong Strikes Three Times....

GoldenEagleFan
09-13-2006, 12:35 PM
I searched and found an answer that the gong strikes three times before the hour to let you know the news is on????

Is this really the reason? I had it turned on the other day driving my wife around and she just smiled and asked if there was a really good reason to have that on or was it just because it could do it.

I had to answer that I turn it on in the morning to remind myself I'm one-half hour from starting work. Couldn't think of a real good reason to have it on.

Why is it there and what do you really use it for?

granit_silber
09-13-2006, 12:51 PM
I searched and found an answer that the gong strikes three times before the hour to let you know the news is on????

Is this really the reason? I had it turned on the other day driving my wife around and she just smiled and asked if there was a really good reason to have that on or was it just because it could do it.

I had to answer that I turn it on in the morning to remind myself I'm one-half hour from starting work. Couldn't think of a real good reason to have it on.

Why is it there and what do you really use it for?
I dont' know why it rings on the 59th minute instead of on the hour. I keep it on just because it's quirky.

-ashley

Bimmerman
09-13-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm pretty sure thats the reason the owners manual gives (so you can tune in the news...)
I'd have a look but my manuals about eleventy billion kilometres away at home under a pile of books, clothes, computer cables etc.

steve0suprem0
09-13-2006, 03:37 PM
of which gong do you speak? i don't know about any gong.

GoldenEagleFan
09-13-2006, 04:03 PM
If you hit the S/R button while the clock is displayed, a little symbol shows up in the upper right corner (a dot with three curved lines behind it). When this is displayed you'll hear 3 gongs every XX:59 on the clock.....

rob101
09-13-2006, 04:08 PM
If you hit the S/R button while the clock is displayed, a little symbol shows up in the upper right corner (a dot with three curved lines behind it). When this is displayed you'll hear 3 gongs every XX:59 on the clock.....
no its the mortal kombat gong he's talking about.
Don't you know anything?

GoldenEagleFan
09-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Now this I know nothing about...

Bimmerman
09-13-2006, 05:18 PM
no its the mortal kombat gong he's talking about.
Don't you know anything?
Its the warning chime to let you know your high-beam fluid is running low, geez rob i'm disappointed you didn't know THAT!;)

rob101
09-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Its the warning chime to let you know your high-beam fluid is running low, geez rob i'm disappointed you didn't know THAT!;)
our antics will be the death of this board

SCORPION WINS FATALITY

Airborne001
09-14-2006, 08:36 PM
This is hilarious, my battery ran dead last night, and I had to jump it this morning. (my fault). Anyway, on my way to work today I hear 3 gongs, and I KNEW WHAT THEY WERE FOR !!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!. If not for this thread I would have freaked out, I guess when I was setting the clock back up I must have hit this feature.

I love you guys <snif>

ILoveMPower
09-14-2006, 10:48 PM
Now, how do I turn this **** off?

GoldenEagleFan
09-14-2006, 11:08 PM
turns the gong on and off...

Out of politeness and for information.... :)

I did look in my owners manual (94) and it doesn't site any particluar reason for the "gong" to go off at the top of every hour.

And.. in BMW language it is not a gong but a "pip"

"Hourly signal: select HR (HOUR) function, then press S/R button; a sound symbol is diplayed. Three pips are heard just before each full hour. The time is diplayed briefly on the instrument panel. To switch off reminder signal: in the HOUR function, press S/R again"

Patrick
09-16-2006, 02:28 AM
Let me preface this with "I don't know if this is true" but I was told by a friend, who's reeeally into BMW's, the reason for the 59 minute gong is that it's a reminder for the top of the hour (obviously) but in particularly, if you've previously promised to call someone at say, 4:00 pm, it gives you one minute to do so.

Paul in NZ
09-16-2006, 04:42 AM
its not one minute its actually about 15 seconds before the hour

Qsilver7
09-16-2006, 04:23 PM
..."I don't know if this is true" but I was told by a friend...it's a reminder for the top of the hour...to call someone at say, 4:00 pm, it gives you one minute to do so.
Errr, it is an hourly reminder, but not necessarily to call a friend (you have to remember that cell phones weren't prevalent back when the e32/e34/e36 were first introduced). Although, it is not set in stone as to what you can use the HOUR MEMO for...you can adapt its use for multiple things. I have my OBC set to "pip" hourly...but I use it as a reminder when I'm running around doing errands etc...or traveling. I don't have to "clock watch"...but when the "pip" goes off...I can consciously note that one hour has passed. Much like having a grandfather, coo-coo clock, or the church bells ring upon the hour.

Paul in NZ is correct, the 3 pips sound off at XX:59:45 before each hour...so that would only give you 15 seconds, not 1 minute, to call your friend. :p

As it was stated ( I believe in the first few sentences of the first post)...the HOUR MEMO is a reminder to turn to the hourly traffic report. If you look into European Traffic Radio...you will find that at the top of every hour, there is a traffic report. The MEMO option is there to remind you to turn the radio on...which most people can do in 15 seconds. :D

My e38 owner's manual does state that the HOUR MEMEO can be set to remind the driver of the next news broadcast...

brosher
09-16-2006, 08:04 PM
I do like that its quirky but I prefer then off. They always startle me and I lift of the gas as a reflex.