PDA

View Full Version : I know, I know...but

nmwaldron
09-13-2006, 07:45 AM
Hi
I know everyone is probably sick of answering questions about the remote keyless enty system but I need to ask..
I've done searching in this forum and on google and still cant find all the info I need.
My keyless entry remote is on my key, it's a one button, the bmw logo in the middle of the key. It hasnt worked since I got it, I replaced the battery but still nothing.
I read you have to take the keyless entry box out from under the backseat and plug a chip from the key into the back of the system and hit the reset button...I have the box, I have the reset button, I have the space for the chip...but I have no chip...all my key has inside is a battery, a spring, a small light bulb and a metal connector...so am I missing the chip or missing the picture entirely? If I'm missing the chip, any idea where to pick one up (other than from our $90/hour friends at the stealership)?

Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

Nathan

ricola
09-13-2006, 08:22 AM
Same question... with kind of an answer. I think there is a different key cover. The one you discribe is a light only unit. It's for finding the manual door lock at night. I just bought my 95 525I T with only one key. The one with the light. The owners manual shows the three button cover on the key, so I'm thinking there must have been another set of keys for the car.

Antrieb
09-13-2006, 08:29 AM
The keyless unit on my 525iT is a seperate key chain, and I think its from the factory. You may need to buy another one at the dealer and have them re-program it.

ricola
09-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Anyone parting out a Bimmer and have a fob or key cover? Or I'll check evil bay..

nmwaldron
09-13-2006, 08:33 AM
Okay, that makes a lot of sense,I can probably reprogram it, i'll just have to pick up one of those fobs from ebay or something.

thanks.

Nathan

Ross
09-13-2006, 09:50 AM
It's a LIGHT not a remote

nmwaldron
09-13-2006, 10:08 AM
It's a LIGHT not a remote

yup..I get that now

brosher
09-13-2006, 10:51 AM
My keyless is 3 buttons on the key so make sure you get the right one.