PDA

View Full Version : Idle Problem and Blinker light

ber55ber55
09-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Well lets begin with my blinker light issue....

3 days ago or so, the left turn signal light in the car started blinking very fast. I realized the front left light has stopped blinking, but the light remains on at night for example, just doesnt blink. Relay or bulb? Im asking bulb because i dont know if the blinker light uses the same light for both functions or seperate bulbs....

thats actually the least of my worries....

a while back i was asking for help with a idle issue i had back then. It turned out to be the idle switch which was misadjusted. This fixed the idle issue and resolved the CEL as well. Well now....its similar...but different....

It all began about 2 weeks ago when I cold started the car and drove to work. The car started fine....but the idle was extremly low (about 400rpms) and I had to ive a lot of throttle when trying to get out of first gear otherwise the car almost died. Also whent he car got moving, it felt like somehting was restricitng it from accelerating normally. It went away when the car got to its normal operating temp. It didnt come back until about 4 days ago. Exact same deal. Well, today as I drive home from CSUN, i start experiencing a serious issue. The car started fine, idled okay, but when I got to main streets the idle went crazy. The normal idle for my car since ive fixed it is about 900-1000 ( i know its kinda high). Well it started dropping by about 200 rpms periodiclly at red lights and went above also. But not all crazy and fast light it did before. It felt liek the car was trying to keep the idle speed but couldnt for one reason or another. I also had almost NO POWER. I had to totally floor it to get onto the freeway at a safe speed. When i rolled down hill the CEL came back on. OMG!!!! The major problem was just the NO POWER factor. Also the car felt like it was going to choke any second. I had to use a lot of throttle

Important Notes:

Car has been using a lot of oil - i have had to add about 1 quart every month or month and a 1/2

The car gets 24mpg - sometime more, sometimes less

The cat has not been replaced and im pretty sure it is bad

I think its either the cat has melted nearly shut, or the fuel filter is bad, because I have not replaced it and i dont know when the previous owner did (car just gets good gas milage do i assumed this couldnt be the case). When i did have the exhaust system out the cat looked totally clear and fine though...soooo...i need some advice...

Thanks, and sorry that I wrote so much.

Denasti
09-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Sounds like the bulb is out. It should be a dual filament so that would explain it working at night but not the turn signal.

The other problem sounds like a nasty Vacuum leak has opened up. That could explain the oil loss. I bet you will find the inside of the vaccum lines filled with oil.

Just my guess.