PDA

View Full Version : Glove Box Removal - Need access to alarm brain

bagpuss
09-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Can someone point me to a tut on removing the glove box in an E34 ('94) ? I think my alarm/keyless entry brain may be behind there somewhere (as its not under the rear seat as hoped) and I need to access it to re-program a new remote. Unless someone tells me its not there, its somewhere else ?

Cheers.

DABIMR
09-12-2006, 10:24 AM
If you have a Bentley look up the procedures for remving the Glove Box. If not, look online for procedures for replacing the Cabin/Microfilter, it involves removing the glove box.

Alright, alright, you twisted my arm, try here (http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_4.htm).. :)

bagpuss
09-12-2006, 10:28 AM
OK, I'll have a look but that link is for a different car and doesn't seem to describe removing the glove box (says to leave it in place) but thanks anyway. No Bentley manual though - is it online anywhere ?

DABIMR
09-12-2006, 10:49 AM
OK, I'll have a look but that link is for a different car and doesn't seem to describe removing the glove box (says to leave it in place) but thanks anyway. No Bentley manual though - is it online anywhere ?
Well, removal is not that hard.. When you open it'll be obvious.. There's a shock on the left and a material/rope thingy holding the box on the right. Just remove the clip thingy on the right and remove the rope thing.

On the left similar situation, remove a clip thingy, undo the screw that's holding the shock and the glove should detach. Remember it's also hooked on at the rear.. Just undo the clasps/locks on the rear (2) and the glove should come out.

Sorry for the vague description but you'll see once you look at it..

EDIT:
One other thing.. On this site I believe somone posted a PDF of the Bentley Manual, just do a search.. :)

bagpuss
09-12-2006, 10:52 AM
OK, I'll have a look. The glove box doesn't seem to sit right anyway so I probably need to have a look at it. Perhaps someone's been there B4 thats why it dont sit right. Presumably the rear/lower mount points can get easily bent ? Cheers.

bagpuss
09-12-2006, 11:18 AM
OK, had a look and here's how to do it on a RHD for posterity:

1) Open box and pull off the 2 brass coloured retaining clips for the 'ropes'.
2) Pull off the 2 ropes.
3) Get a torch and look underneath for 2 black plastic clips. These hold the rear/base of the box onto a round bar/hanger. Pull the locking tabs on the clips back (to unlock) and pull the box rearwards to pull the (now unlocked) clips off the round bar/hanger.
4) Job done - re-assembly is reverse of removal.

But it got me nowhere - there was no alarm brain behind it and the box still doesn't mate well, I think the rear bar/hanger is bent but I'll leave it alone now as still searching for the alarm brain ! Any more possible location ?

Cheers.

ILoveMPower
09-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Check under the steering wheel, and good luck, thats where mine was. Wasn't too pretty.

BillionPa
09-12-2006, 03:03 PM
most aftermarket installations are attatched directly to the wiring under the steering wheel, using vampire clips, electrical tape, and a some 3-way splicers.

.... so good luck!

bagpuss
09-12-2006, 03:10 PM
most aftermarket installations are attatched directly to the wiring under the steering wheel, using vampire clips, electrical tape, and a some 3-way splicers.

.... so good luck!

Its NOT an aftermarket installation - perhaps my initial post was unclear - the only aftermarket item is the remote (from a UK supplier who copies the BMW remotes). Standard BMW Anti-Theft System 3 with led on dash (not in the grill near the windscreen) and with RADIO controlled remote (not the infra-red controlled one). Cheers.

pgrindstaff
09-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Its NOT an aftermarket installation - perhaps my initial post was unclear - the only aftermarket item is the remote (from a UK supplier who copies the BMW remotes). Standard BMW Anti-Theft System 3 with led on dash (not in the grill near the windscreen) and with RADIO controlled remote (not the infra-red controlled one). Cheers.

The led you are talking wouldnt happen to be the one next to the instrument cluster light dimmer would it? If so, its about time I know what that light is for.

bagpuss
09-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Yep, thats the one. Press it in for full closure or out for 'normal' alarm mode.

If you find the 'brain' for the thing, let me know ! :-)

pgrindstaff
09-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Yep, thats the one. Press it in for full closure or out for 'normal' alarm mode.

If you find the 'brain' for the thing, let me know ! :-)
Unfortunately I think we are talking about two different things. As you will be able to see, what I am talking about is just a light, maybe someone here can tell me what its for, if it is in fact not related to the security system.

http://grindstaffp.googlepages.com/DSC01050.jpg

(http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3692&stc=1&d=1158174613)

Bill R.
09-13-2006, 02:41 PM
have to include keyless entry, IE the remote your mentioning. Its very likely that your keyless entry system is not factory, it could be an aftermarket as others have suggested, in which case you'll most likely find the control module up under the dash by the ignition switch plastic tie wrapped in place. Most of them that i see are done in this manner
Here's some of the factory info regarding antitheft 3

mzarifkar
09-13-2006, 03:44 PM
The "brain" on my 95 525 is under the rear seat...

pingu
09-13-2006, 04:09 PM
The alarm brain on my '93 540 was "under" the floor carpet/foam that's underneath the glovebox. Not sure if my alarm is OEM or not - it's got a radio keyfob, as opposed to IR.

Put another way, the brain was "behind" (strictly speaking, it was nearer the front of the car) the very front portion of the pasenger side carpet (on the left hand side of the car, I'm UK too) just where it goes nearly vertical to meet the glovebox.

Hope this helps - happy hunting!

bagpuss
09-13-2006, 08:29 PM
The alarm brain on my '93 540 was "under" the floor carpet/foam that's underneath the glovebox. Not sure if my alarm is OEM or not - it's got a radio keyfob, as opposed to IR.

Hope this helps - happy hunting!

Hmmm, good bet - mine's radio too. How do you get in there, do you have to take anything out to get the floor/carpet up ?

bagpuss
09-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Here's some of the factory info regarding antitheft 3

Looking at that info, we're not talking about the same thing here. 'Anti-Theft system 3' does not equal 'DWA-III' as that one seems to be IR whereas mine is Radio. When I say 'Anti-theft System 3', I am referring to what the bmw leaflet states that was supplied with the car in the BMW wallet. I dont think BMW nomenclature/versioning is in line with different manufacturers nomenclature/versioning - it cant be as there are Alpine as well and I'm sure Alpine had different versions too. For all I know BMW System 3 could equal Alpine version x AND DWA version y in the UK, yet equal say, Alpine version w and DWA version z in the USA and something different again in Oz. (where x,y,w and z are all different numbers and different to the 'BMW version number').

This was the reason I said in another thread that perhaps we need a table that lists which is which, by make/model/year etc and how its identified and remotes programmed etc.

Incidentally, I am sure I dont have an aftermarket alarm for 2 reasons: 1) I have the functionality of the factory LED which conforms to the capabilities of the BMW System 3 as documented in the leaflet - eg in for full closure and out for not full closure and (2) I have spoken to the manufacturers of the aftermarket remote and they do not make aftermarket alarms, they only make 'cloned' remotes of OEM/factory systems.

Cheers.

bagpuss
09-14-2006, 12:53 PM
I pulled the glovebox out and there's a ton of wires going behind (to the front of the car) the carpet, so it *could* be there, but how the hell do you get the carpet up !? It seems all in one piece going up behind (to the front of) the centre console and there seems no way of getting it up without cutting the carpet out or dismantling the whole dash/centre console.

Its just too much effort for too little gain, so I think I'll settle for a 'learnable' remote and forget trying to locate the alarm brain, unless there's an easy way to get the carpet up ?

Cheers.

horseheadnebula
09-14-2006, 02:12 PM
I pulled the glovebox out and there's a ton of wires going behind (to the front of the car) the carpet, so it *could* be there, but how the hell do you get the carpet up !? It seems all in one piece going up behind (to the front of) the centre console and there seems no way of getting it up without cutting the carpet out or dismantling the whole dash/centre console.

Its just too much effort for too little gain, so I think I'll settle for a 'learnable' remote and forget trying to locate the alarm brain, unless there's an easy way to get the carpet up ?

Cheers.

It's under your rear seat bottom. Pull up on it hard, and lift out of the way. The alarm brain should be right on top of the battery on your right hand side.

bagpuss
09-14-2006, 03:08 PM
No its not, already checked ! See here for pics of under my rear seat.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?p=200017#post200017

Cheers.