PDA

View Full Version : 00 540i 6-spd

Kobe Diesel
09-12-2006, 08:50 AM
A friend of mine who likes to lurk in the auctions scored a 00 540i 6-spd black on black with 80k miles for $4500. It has a salvage title for whatever reason, he doesnt know, but looks mint on the outside, some wear on the interior, runs fine. I, personally, doubt the authenticity of the mileage given the condition of the interior.

Lately, Ive been juggling ideas, ie, motor swap, turbo, buying an E34 M5 or E36 M3, but still juggling. In any case is it worth buying this? What are your opinions?

VentoGT
09-12-2006, 12:16 PM
e34 M5 :)

31Hertz
09-12-2006, 12:32 PM
The blue book says 16K for one in "good" condition. Of course who knows what kind of incident caused the salvage title (flood? wreck? hail? theft?). I would suggest having the car looked at by someone with frame straightening experience. If it tracks true and does not wander or shudder and handles well, I would say it is probably worth it. Just be cautious. If you have the VIN I can do a quick Carfax.

DigitalRelay
09-12-2006, 12:58 PM
If it is a flood victim, I would run far, far away. Electronics and water do not mix.

angrypancake
09-12-2006, 01:00 PM
hell you could part it out and make more than 4500.

Thayne
09-12-2006, 01:18 PM
e34 M5 :)

Kobe Diesel
09-13-2006, 12:25 AM
let me get my hands on the VIN and make a close inspection. will get back with more info

bimmerme
09-13-2006, 12:53 AM
I learned a few tricks last month when looking at a 95 525i and 94 prelude.
1. Tapping all around the car and listen for solid sounds. Usually the body and side panels make a hollow sound but if bondo work or repair is done it probably will be solid.
2. Look at how the door fits onto the car, how the bumper (front/rear, and all other seams. If the don't line up then they've been repair in those areas.
3. Look beneath the carpets (bumper, inside car) and look for any strange things like new silicon lines at the seams, new glues, or paints, etc...
4. Look underneath the hood, look for silicon/glue seams, new bolts, paint, or anything that looks like its new.
5. Look at suspension parts new paint and such.

With these things in mind you can kind of get an idea where the car has been repaired. I'm gonna see a prelude sometime soon and is planning to try what I've learned thus far.

bimmerme
09-13-2006, 01:34 AM
oh yeah, would mind doing a quick check on the prelude for me? PM me if you can help. thanks. :-)

swenpro
09-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Carfax says that my car has a flood title, a junk title, and a salvage title. I also paid $4500, but it's 6 years older than yours. Why it has these titles, I have no idea, because after more than a year of driving, I've never found anything on the car that would hint at a flood incidence. I think someone just made off well with an insurance company? Strange thing, too, is that my actual hard-copy car title does not display any of those problems either, but maybe that's normal after a few years or from transferring state-to-state.

Ross
09-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Even if it's a flood car it may not be so bad. Unless water got in the electronics it will probably be OK.Make sure you change all the fluids though as water can get in the diff. and trans.
If you get scared by it and want to bail out PM me, I'll buy it.