PDA

View Full Version : ICV or AFM?

GJPinAU
09-11-2006, 12:39 AM
Damn this little car!
An intermittent fault is really getting up my nose.
Every now and then the car will practically stall when doing hill start or similar.
Drop the clutch and the revs die then sputter, sputter. Pump throttle and will eventually rev again.
Went to the indy and didn't find any fault codes and I'm sure he thinks I'm imagining it (or just a crap driver).

If it keeps doing this I'll have to put "P" plates on it. AAUGH!!

billb
09-11-2006, 06:27 AM
Damn this little car!
An intermittent fault is really getting up my nose.
Every now and then the car will practically stall when doing hill start or similar.
Drop the clutch and the revs die then sputter, sputter. Pump throttle and will eventually rev again.
Went to the indy and didn't find any fault codes and I'm sure he thinks I'm imagining it (or just a crap driver).

If it keeps doing this I'll have to put "P" plates on it. AAUGH!!

Lately, I've just had a lumpy idle that I can't solve, and I'm thinking ICV as well, but don't wish to shell out the cash for it! Mine doesn't give a fault code either when it's playing up.

Of course, could be AFM too. Pop the cover off it and see if there are worn spots in the carbon track. Careful not to disturb the wiper arm or any contacts.

GJPinAU
09-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Lately, I've just had a lumpy idle that I can't solve, and I'm thinking ICV as well, but don't wish to shell out the cash for it! Mine doesn't give a fault code either when it's playing up.

Of course, could be AFM too. Pop the cover off it and see if there are worn spots in the carbon track. Careful not to disturb the wiper arm or any contacts.

Cheers Bill,
so you want me to be the guinea pig for this one. :p

Do you know if it is possible to clean out the ICV the same as on the E34?

Greg

Jr ///M5
09-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Yup, clean 'er out with carb cleaner and then give it a little shot of WD-40 to make sure she works back and forth with ease.

I cleaned mine with brake cleaner the first time, used a whole can, then somebody said only to use carb cleaner. Mine still works fine.

I probably just jinxed myself....

Jr
'91 318iS
'91 ///M5
'01 525i (in the body shop getting the ass fixed)

GJPinAU
10-30-2006, 10:35 PM
I had the ICV sprayed last week. So far so good.
Not stalling any more but the revs are staying around 1000 and still fluctuate a bit.