PDA

View Full Version : The difference between OEM M-parallels and replicas?

horseheadnebula
09-10-2006, 03:15 PM
From what I've noticed, the replica M-parallels have a machined face and lip and look too shiny [which makes them look cheap], compared to the OEM M-parallels. I haven't paid too much attention to either when I've had a chance to see them upclose, so I'd like to get the board's opinion on these aesthetic differences between the real thing and the replicas.

bigmuthatrucker
09-10-2006, 03:18 PM
the main difference that I have gotten from comments etc.. was that the replicas weigh quite a bit more than the OEM Bmw ones...

Michael999
09-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Ive seen a few replicas on ebay, and it seemed to me that only some of them employed the machined face.
To be honest i dont think it looks all that bad, and i beleive that photos dont do them justice, it'd be nice to see them up close.

Gayle
09-10-2006, 04:50 PM
I thought it was a forged vs. cast issue that makes the oem stronger.

Thayne
09-10-2006, 04:58 PM
I thought it was a forged vs. cast issue that makes the oem stronger.

Thats what I thought as well.

BillionPa
09-10-2006, 06:11 PM
forged aluminum is 3 times stronger than cast aluminum, so you can have a forged wheel that weighs 30% less than cast and is still much stronger.

angrypancake
09-10-2006, 06:32 PM
as explained above it's the process that they're made that is the real dif between reps and OEM. it makes a huge difference when you hit a crater at 45mph and bend the **** out of a replica. there's a decent chance hitting that same spot with OEM it wouldnt bend. you pay for what you get.

Thayne
09-10-2006, 08:25 PM
as explained above it's the process that they're made that is the real dif between reps and OEM. it makes a huge difference when you hit a crater at 45mph and bend the **** out of a replica. there's a decent chance hitting that same spot with OEM it wouldnt bend. you pay for what you get.

All the more reason for me not to buy reps when I buy mine.

horseheadnebula
09-10-2006, 08:42 PM

Oh, I agree.

I'm just curious what the differences are in visual aspects...

It seems to me that the OEM M-parallels don't have a machined face, just painted silver? There are like a few types of OEM M parallels. Some that are forged, some that are not. Then between those, some have painted silver lips, some are machined etc, then add 3 different setups for 3 different platforms, Euro E34 M5, E39 M540i and E38 740i Sport.

I'm hoping someone can chime in with the differences between all of these in terms of looks, as I'm already aware that some are forged, some are not, and that they have different hub centers, offsets, widths, etc...... :D

But basically, what confuses me is I haven't seen any OEM M Parallels with a machined face.

angrypancake
09-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Oh, I agree.

I'm just curious what the differences are in visual aspects...

It seems to me that the OEM M-parallels don't have a machined face, just painted silver? There are like a few types of OEM M parallels. Some that are forged, some that are not. Then between those, some have painted silver lips, some are machined etc, then add 3 different setups for 3 different platforms, Euro E34 M5, E39 M540i and E38 740i Sport.

I'm hoping someone can chime in with the differences between all of these in terms of looks, as I'm already aware that some are forged, some are not, and that they have different hub centers, offsets, widths, etc...... :D

But basically, what confuses me is I haven't seen any OEM M Parallels with a machined face.

the e34 m5 parallels have a slightly more "flat" look to them. they're the dullest of them all.

the e38 wheel has a rough sandblasted finish type deal to it. (came from google search)

that leaves the e39 (with it's retarded 74.1mm hub bore)and i dont know anything about em. crap.

ILoveMPower
09-11-2006, 07:40 AM
OEM iz betta

horseheadnebula
09-11-2006, 08:55 AM
OEM iz betta

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/BPMdotEXE/Random/O_RLY.jpg

And let's see some pics of your car. What's in your sig sounds luscious! ;)