PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest Sound Damping Material

saj3n
09-10-2006, 09:34 AM
I've decided that this week I'll go ahead and install my subs, I want to "dynamat" the trunk to prevent as many rattles and such as possible. Anyone have connections or know of the best place to pick some up? I'm looking on ebay now...

vuyodaddy
09-10-2006, 11:53 AM
If you know any friends that work at Bestbuy, I'm told its cheap as hell there. From my own experience, car audio equipment is dirt cheap from Bestbuy (I got a ~50% discount on my whole system).

BTW, my trunk rattles like hell, but I found the only thing I wanted dynamatted was the cardboard fabric piece between the rear seats and the rear windshield. Be sure to dynamat that thing like hell, as my one layer is sometimes not sufficient. And stick it on there good, in cold weather it tends to lose effectiveness, I'm thinking because of less adhesive properties in the cold. Good luck.

BTW... what are you running?

winfred
09-10-2006, 12:20 PM
cement :D

Cheapest Sound Damping Material

saj3n
09-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Thanks, I'll have to see who I can find that works there... :) I'm sure I have a few friends.

I am running 2 Alpine SWR-1242D's (1500watt max - 500 rms) pushed by a Hifonics Brutus BXI1206D 1200x1 @ 1ohm watt monoblock class D amp.

I am scared of how loud it will be! I ran 2 pioneer's back in the day, maybe getting 150-200 watts each, and my 89 525i rattled horribly! Although, it was mostly the trunk lid which rattled. So I can only imagine what this will do...

vuyodaddy
09-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks, I'll have to see who I can find that works there... :) I'm sure I have a few friends.

I am running 2 Alpine SWR-1242D's (1500watt max - 500 rms) pushed by a Hifonics Brutus BXI1206D 1200x1 @ 1ohm watt monoblock class D amp.

I am scared of how loud it will be! I ran 2 pioneer's back in the day, maybe getting 150-200 watts each, and my 89 525i rattled horribly! Although, it was mostly the trunk lid which rattled. So I can only imagine what this will do...

Holy crap dude, I'm only running one Type R, and it bumps pretty damn good. Two should be some good fun for ya... but I'm a bit concerned about rattling. And despite the amount of material separating the trunk from the cabin, the type r's sound really clean. Hope you have some capacitors though, cuz my lights flicker already.

BTW... did you know you could have purchased the Alpine SWR-1242D's from Bestbuy for ~$85 a piece? Supposedly, Bestbuy and Alpine are associatted somehow, and employees get even more discount on all Alpine equipment in general.

Anyhow, enough of me talking about how cool it is to have a friend work at Bestbuy, good luck with the system install.

gmannino
09-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Sajen, Where do you live? I work on Concord, Ca and see a e34 around that looks just like your's around. If you live around I can hook you up with a good price on Dynamat.

saj3n
09-10-2006, 08:10 PM
:( I'm in Philadelphia, PA.... Anyway that good price would still be available over here? :)

saj3n
09-10-2006, 08:15 PM
$85!!! Not bad! I figured I got mine for a steal, $200 for the pair, but wouldn't have minded saving that extra $30. Yea, I'm thinking that I'll most likely need a Cap for the system or a High Output altenator (heard much more effective than capacitors). The battery is new, so that shouldn't be a problem. But we'll see just how much it rattles when I get them in there. My amp should be here by Wednesday. I figured that I'll install everything by Thursday, and then do the dynamat and put a cap in, if needed, later that week or early next. I'm sure i'll be spending a few hours tuning the system perfectly. It's been so long since I've waited to finish this system off. I started a year and a half ago, and only have cabin speakers & deck installed (they sound AMAZING mind you) but now my SUBS!!! YAY!!! :-D

So, about this friend at Best Buy... :-P

SnakeyesTx
09-10-2006, 11:25 PM
You'd be amazed what spray-on bedliner can do :D

I dunno if I'll use it in certain places on the bimmer, but in my Wagoneer, I used it almost everywhere and I could barely hear my 413 big block!

Ross
09-11-2006, 02:28 PM
I can tell you what it will do.
Go pick up your phone, hear the dial tone?
Wanna hear it for the rest of your life? I have for the last twenty years and am ****in' well sick of it!
It's your hearing bud.

Ross
09-11-2006, 02:30 PM
.060 over 401?

632 Regal
09-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Elephant dung is cheaper.
cement :D

SnakeyesTx
09-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Yessir... right on the money. AMC 401 block punched .060 over. They said it couldn't be done for heat issues. I live in Texas where its 90 degrees plus about 9 months out of the year and never once had a problem, and that rig got used.. a lot (hills, mud, trails, beaches, and daily driving). Nothing a Be-cool radiator and a couple of electric fans couldn't fix. :D

Bill R.
09-11-2006, 09:01 PM
the sound that cicada's make continously, much higher pitched than a dial tone. Thats one thing the hearing aid is good for, it amplifies everything else so that the cicada's aren't the loudest thing i hear.

I can tell you what it will do.
Go pick up your phone, hear the dial tone?
Wanna hear it for the rest of your life? I have for the last twenty years and am ****in' well sick of it!
It's your hearing bud.

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Is to drowned out all those voices in their heads.

Alexlind123
09-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Is to drowned out all those voices in their heads.

Its true.

Ross
09-12-2006, 07:31 AM
Actually your description is more apt than my dial tone analogy, can I use it.

ILoveMPower
09-12-2006, 07:35 AM
Yeah, I have a nice little system going down, but I'm about to take it out for my even weight distribution back again, and also because the M30 at WOT sounds much better ;)

Dr. evil
09-12-2006, 11:08 AM
what i did was remove the trunk lid, take the tools and cover off got some tape around all the trunk ribs and filled them with foam. i think that it's called GREAT STUFF, anyway that holds up to the RF T2's.

20$