PDA

View Full Version : Keyless Remote Programming System 3 ?

bagpuss
09-10-2006, 06:07 AM
I'd like to find out what part I need to order as a replacement remote (either new if cheap enough ? or a used one off ebay for example) and whether I can re-program it using the chip (or other) method.

I've searched the board and found a lot of info but the info seems to depend on fully defining the system you've got in the 1st place as the methods differ with the 3 (at least) different systems. Therefore, I'll start by defining my system.

The documents for the car ('94 E34 530i UK) say that I have 'BMW Anti-Theft System 3' and inside the car, the alarm led is on the dash and its the one that if you push the led/button in, it gives full closure of open windows but if you leave it out it doesn't. The alarm fob that I have is no help whatsoever as its an aftermarket one, and I only have one, which is why I wanted to gain a 'duplicate', or rather, the right OEM fob for the job.

So, given the above info, can someone please confirm the system type and please tell me which fob part #I need to obtain and whether this is the chip variety where you remove the chip, place it into the box under the seat to re-program it, or whether its something else.

Secondly, am I able to use the integrated key/transmitter/buttons version - the one with the buttons actually on the key itself, and whether these are re-programmed in the same way.

I would also like to know whether re-programming a fob or a 'key' will give all functions of the original, as I have also read mixed views where some say that re-programming enable the keyless entry but not the alarm functions and yet others say it enables all functions.........

The worrying part of all this is that I've looked under the back seat and cannot see the unit (or any unit other than airbag ECU) that I would need to insert the chip into, were it the 'chip solution' that I was in need of. Is there an alternate location I should be looking at for this unit ?

Many thanks.

DigitalRelay
09-10-2006, 09:01 AM
The only information I could find for my 1995 540i showed a seperate three button remote that has a chip inside. I have the remote integrated with the key also, so none of the procedures for reporgramming made any sense. I tried the procedure for an E39 to reprogram and it worked. Maybe this will help you:

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/ProgrammingKeys/ProgKeys.htm

BTW - I looked under the seat for the alarm unit too, and it was nowhere to be found. I believe for my car it is located above or behind the glove box, but I have not looked to confirm, since the reprogramming procedure worked.

bagpuss
09-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Right, could not find the alarm brain under the seat, not behind the glove-box. The process that worked for you, would yours be a "BMW security system 3" by any chance ? As thats the procedure I need.

Someone must know where the brain is and what programming process to use, as I have defined the system I have (with the led on the DASH and its the press-button-led for full closure), even given 3 different systems for these, there must be some ppl here with this same system ? Cheers.

bagpuss
09-12-2006, 02:19 PM
BTW I have confirmed that this is a RADIO remote and not Infra-Red, so perhaps that narrows it down a bit ?

bagpuss
09-13-2006, 06:54 AM
Come on guys, someone must know where the alarm ECU is (its not under rear seat or behind glove box) and whether the 'BMW Anti-Theft System 3' is the one that you need to remove the chip from the fob and place it into the alarm ECU (assuming you can find the damn thing) ?

Cheers.

ricola
09-13-2006, 08:28 AM
This is a popular topic. And this is a bump. Inquiring minds want to know. We'll just have to wait to be blessed by the pope I guess.

632 Regal
09-13-2006, 09:10 AM
mines not under the seat or glovebox either, I'm assuming that I simply dont have an alarm or remote system.

DigitalRelay
09-13-2006, 09:17 AM
I checked the order sheet for my car and all it says is "302 ALARM SYSTEM". Again, since the procedure in the link above worked for me, I had no reason to look for the unit, but if somone can point me in the right direction of where to look beside the glove box or under the seat, I'll try to identify the unit.

jofusfarr
09-13-2006, 02:04 PM
I believe it's under the rear seat, driver's side.

It's well hidden; infront of the modules and relays. You'll see a small fuse access hole, it's directly below this. My reprogramming didn't work, so I assume I need the dealer to unlock mine - something I'm not willing to pay for just yet.

Bill R.
09-13-2006, 02:30 PM
rear seat, if you have the alpine system its under the right hand side of the rear seat.

bagpuss
09-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the replies ! I didn't see it under the rear seat, or behind glove box as already indicated, but since a few ppl are still saying under rear seat I will have another look. If its there it must be well buried and not like the photos I've seen where its easily spotted. Will look again tomorrow, I'm assuming tho that its not readily seen without removing other units then ? (else I would have seen it ??).

One thing that might help me and others is a listing of the different types - I've seen Alpine, DWA, EWSI, EWSII etc mentioned, and it would be good to put a table together eg...

Make Model (if applic) Type (radio or infra-red) Years where used Programming Method (eg reset within 1 min or chip out and into brain) Brain location.

If anyone thinks this is a good idea and can start such a table off and others can add to it, I think it would be a valuable resource for those that come now and later looking for this info. Its just too confusing at the moment without defining which system is which and which system a car is 'likely' to have (by knowing the year of cars that certain models were used).

bagpuss
09-13-2006, 07:21 PM
Thinking about trying to locate the alarm brain - perhaps there's a way to attenuate the remote (partially wrapping in foil or something) such that it only had say a 6 inch range, that way one could sit in the car and move the remote to different locations until it 'bites' and at the 'bite spot' the brain must be near by !? - any thoughts ?

bagpuss
09-13-2006, 09:16 PM
In case anyone's interested, this company in the UK supplies 'cloned' remotes for BMW (amongst others) and also a 'learning remote'. I currently have a query with them now as to whether I could use this with my E34 - ideal as a spare and easily reprogrammed without having to locate the alarm brain and also when you change cars ! Seems an ideal solution if it works and costs about 36 quid (ukp) - about 65 bucks is it ? Anyway, just thought I'd pass it on, you need to specify the freq range for the radio transmitter, and I have no connection to the supplier apart from an interest in buying one if it works.

The link is:

http://www.tech-tronics.net/mainsite/cart/RC02.htm

I'll let you know what they say if anyone's interested.

Just one thought on it though - if it can learn a radio transmitter's codes and as radio is not particularly localised, it could be a car theif's dream device surely !? A bit worrying !

PS: Heard back from them and they tell me yes it would work and its the RC02 version (250 ~ 455 MHz) thats needed.

bagpuss
09-14-2006, 07:58 AM
I believe it's under the rear seat, driver's side.

It's well hidden; infront of the modules and relays. You'll see a small fuse access hole, it's directly below this. My reprogramming didn't work, so I assume I need the dealer to unlock mine - something I'm not willing to pay for just yet.

Well I didn't see it - all I saw was the modules/relays box which I tried to get into but only saw 2 screws and it wouldn't come off but I managed to move it enough to see 2 units inside the black box/cover and neither of these looked like the alarm brain. Anyway, here are the photos of both sides under the rear seat, so if I have missed a trick, please can you point me in the right direction. If its under there then I must be blind as I just cant see it. Incidentally what are the 2 modules under the cover (vertically mounted by the looks) and how do you get that cover off, is there a 3rd screw somewhere ?

Cheers

ILoveMPower
09-14-2006, 08:31 AM
My alarm system is under my steering column... I guess it must be aftermarket.

bagpuss
09-14-2006, 08:51 AM
My alarm system is under my steering column... I guess it must be aftermarket.

Possibly. Note sure what year BMW factory keyless-entry/alarms became the norm. I had an '89 530 (6-cyl) and that didn't have an alarm.