PDA

View Full Version : Got my second e34...

takumidrift30
09-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Got my second e34, 1989 535i. Got it for a decent price, mechancally is in good condition, tranny shifts smoothly, body and paint is in good shape just needs some buffing & waxing due to some waterspots, interior is good no rip. I'll post pics soon, drop her off at my friend's house he wanted to do all the oil changes.
Bear with me, I need some help though on some minor electrical and door issues, checked threads for similar issues had some info but just want to make sure of my diagnosis and possibly get more advise from more knowledgeable people here goes..
1. The fuel gauge and speedometer erratically work-should I change the capacitors and w/c specific one or better change all of them?
2. Low beams comes on & off when I hit a bump or on a rough road, found out some of the relay on the fuse box are loose and shaking the whole relay thing(not sure what you call it pls bear with me). Tried to our them properly but basically the whole connection thing is broke.Put a tape on it to hold it firmly then the lights when ok. Wanted to fix the problem properly..any advise?
3. The driver side door, I don't know what you call it but I have to push the part inside (with the yellow part on the pic) then lift up the door handle as the part clicks out then the door would close. Was planning of just servicing the part or lubricate it or any better suggestion to fix it?
4. Only one wiper works the driver side, passenger side doesn't. I'm assuming just need to connect it with the other one w/c is under the windshield.

Thanks in advance for your input guys!

Michael999
09-09-2006, 03:41 AM
1. The fuel gauge and speedometer erratically work-should I change the capacitors and w/c specific one or better change all of them?

Change the caps, i did it in mine and it solved all my dash issues, When buying the capacitors, get the exact "uF" rating, and as long as the voltage and temp rating is equal or greater than original then they will be fine.
I went with 100v over the stock 16v for one of them because thats all the store had in stock.
Remember with caps that the voltage rating is what they can TAKE, not what they will put out.

CharlesAFerg
09-09-2006, 03:45 AM
pre-clean exterior shot? Than you can compare and show off your talent. :D

takumidrift30
09-10-2006, 05:34 AM
Michael999 thanks for the advice, I'll take a note of that. Called BMA this morning hoping to do a will call for the caps but they don't have it in stock called some other stores I know who carries unfortunately they're out of stock too. Not my day I guess. Just curious as I started the engine after changing the plugs my readings on the cluster all of sudden are flashed in German, I know plugs doesn't have anything to do it but what could possibly went wrong. I intended to do a Shogun reset when I did it flashed again in English.Just curious any idea?

CharlesAFerg, it was late when actually thought of the idea before and after pics I was at my friend's house already were the car is at the moment and his camera is not also available guess I'll post the after pics. :)