PDA

View Full Version : Dropped off my baby for painting

zman-95-540i
09-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Well, I finally decided to get my paint job taken care of. I went with a local mid-level shop that was recommended by my local indy. I took some pics this morning on my way out so I can post a before / after sequence when complete. They said it will be around two weeks before I can pick her up. I may go by sometime next week and take pics of the work in progress.

Tough to leave her behind but she was in good company (two lambos, a ferrari and a ford GT).

Eric540i
09-08-2006, 01:59 PM
2 weeks?! Is this a consequence of the shop's backlog or the extent and detail of the preparation required?
Are you having the original colour reapplied?
Mechanically my car's flawless, but a previous owner appears to have lived near an unfenced golf-course and insisted on parking in a supermarket carpark where Braille parking was the norm. I'm tempted to get the body fixed up... yet I can't help thinking that its present unkempt condition is a theft deterrent of sorts.:D

zman-95-540i
09-08-2006, 02:20 PM
I am having the original color applied. I think the timing is due to the prep and some backlog. I had to wait 3 weeks from the date of estimate to drop it off. The paint on the roof was seriously faded back through the c pillars. Tons of dings in the hood and some in the fenders. I bought a new grill to have installed since the old one was basically one big rock chip with some paint around it.

I think you should expect at least a week to have it done. The three shops I had look at it all said 10-14 days.

Rus
09-08-2006, 03:20 PM
It is a very good idea to check on the progress. When my car was being painted I checked in as much as I could and found several flaws in the prep-work that the shop overlooked. In my case prepwork was my biggest complaint with the repaint.

jkromelow
09-10-2006, 12:51 AM
How much is a decent paint job these days?

632 Regal
09-10-2006, 01:05 AM
complete paint job $99.95 Earl Sheib

How much is a decent paint job these days?

ThoreauHD
09-10-2006, 02:34 AM
Doing a full paint job soon as well, all dents and dings removed, original color. Costs about 3-4K. And it takes 2 weeks.

If I'm going to do it, I'd rather not respray. Alot of wear and tear happens after 12 years. And when they take the parts off, it's a good time to replace some plastic pieces that were about to break off anyway. Big investment, but the car is solid and now tha they found a new oil deposit in the gulf of mexico, I won't have to be concerned about it becoming a paperweight in 10 years.

Incantation
09-10-2006, 11:46 AM
if you want the car to look less dated have them paint the door handles and all the black mouldings the same as the car colour

SC David
09-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Black mouldings add a nice contrast IMO, but I could agree with the door handles. I can't wait to see it finished!

saj3n
09-10-2006, 08:20 PM
...one big rock chip with some paint around it.

LOL

Thayne
09-10-2006, 08:23 PM
if you want the car to look less dated have them paint the door handles and all the black mouldings the same as the car colour

That would look great and I don't think they would charge extra for it.