PDA

View Full Version : help - My Idlings getting worse

allan
04-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Car = 94 530 V8 Auto - Engine =M60
This engine which I have now had for 2 years has always been the smoothest I have ever known. When idling you can normally barely sense that it's running.
Recently idling is becoming rather "lumpy" - I sense a sort of mis-fire and occasionally it will falter and stop. At all higher speeds the engine feels fine.
So far I have cleaned the spark plugs which look as good as new.
Should I be looking for an ignition or a fuel problem ?

amsmk
04-08-2004, 12:02 PM
Does it have an Idle Control Valve? I do not know much about cars but my 89/535i once had the same problem. Someone on this forum saved me a lot of money and told me to clean the Idle Contro Valve, and sure enough that solved the problem.
Good Luck

jbw535i
04-08-2004, 12:22 PM
amsmk

What is the procedure for cleaning the idle control valve? That might be the cause of some of my idle problems.

thanks,

Brian

Mr Project
04-08-2004, 12:31 PM
The M60s are famous for vaccum leaks too, especially around the intake manifold gaskets. That could easily cause what you are describing. Do a search for 'idle' or 'vacuum' relating to the M60 and you'll find a lot of good info.

amsmk
04-08-2004, 12:53 PM
I took mine out and it was obvious that the rotating metal part inside is partly clogged and not rotating. I used normal carburetor cleaner and took my time to clean it . You can not reach the parts that are jammed due to grease and dirt, so I sprayed it and tried to rotate the ICV as fast as I can so the metal part rotates and gets rid off the dirt and grease by movement (be very careful with the liquid since it is very flammable).

Unregistered
04-08-2004, 01:37 PM
of V8 intake manifold is a consistant source of problems like yours.

allan
04-08-2004, 03:25 PM
It does sound like the idle control valve is the first suspect - I have cleaned one before on a 525 but does anyone know where it is on the m60 ?

Super90
04-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Just above the throttle body, IIRC. Take the plastic cover off the top of the motor, you can take the rubber strap off from around the ICV, unplug it, remove it and clean it with carb cleaner, brake cleaner, etc. When you are finished it should be really clean and as you roll it, you will hear that cylinder with the funny slot cut in it rolling around inside. You can see that in the opening.

Mine was filthy at 90k mi. Also make sure your fresh air hose doesn't have any cracks in it and the seals where it meets the throttle body are tight.

If that doesn't fix it, it's probably the PCV plate or intake seals, etc. I redid all mine at 100k, and cleaned the intake, did the galley cover, water pipes, etc. etc. etc.

She purrs like a kitten and has good compression and leak down!! 110k on the Nik Block!!!!!

Unregistered
04-08-2004, 04:45 PM
Just above the throttle body, IIRC. Take the plastic cover off the top of the motor, you can take the rubber strap off from around the ICV, unplug it, remove it and clean it with carb cleaner, brake cleaner, etc. When you are finished it should be really clean and as you roll it, you will hear that cylinder with the funny slot cut in it rolling around inside. You can see that in the opening.

Mine was filthy at 90k mi. Also make sure your fresh air hose doesn't have any cracks in it and the seals where it meets the throttle body are tight.

If that doesn't fix it, it's probably the PCV plate or intake seals, etc. I redid all mine at 100k, and cleaned the intake, did the galley cover, water pipes, etc. etc. etc.

She purrs like a kitten and has good compression and leak down!! 110k on the Nik Block!!!!!

Thanks Robert - Not quite sure what /where the PCV plate is though