PDA

View Full Version : Weird smells

Milkboot
09-08-2006, 01:44 AM
When I first got my car, I noticed a weird "exaughst" type smell in the cabin, it wasnt constant,but very noticable when it did come in, I did notice that what i later found out was the crank case vent tube was in very poor condition where it connects to a plastic barb behind the oil filter, i can place it back on the barb. but im sure it does not stay in place with the way i drive. might this explain the smell?

That and withen the last week I have noticed a somtimes VERY strong gasoline smell comming from the back, When Snakeyes and I were transfering my sub and radio from my Duster. we opend up the panel that gives you access to the tank from inside the trunk and there was a rubber line about 1" or so i diameter that had its clamp loose, but the hose was still on kind of tight and unfortunatly in a bad enough place i could not see where the end of it was :(

That and i also have a lil over half tank of gas in there now too :( should i run thru the tank and then see what i can do with the tank, or is there anything else i should look at to see what could cause the gas smell to leak out?

Thanks guys!

shogun
09-08-2006, 01:54 AM
Have a look at the pics of fuel lines, ventialtion etc.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=HD63&mospid=47404&hg=16

Omega
09-08-2006, 02:43 AM
When I first got my car, I noticed a weird "exaughst" type smell in the cabin, it wasnt constant,but very noticable when it did come in, I did notice that what i later found out was the crank case vent tube was in very poor condition where it connects to a plastic barb behind the oil filter, i can place it back on the barb. but im sure it does not stay in place with the way i drive. might this explain the smell?

I get exactly the same smell when the engine starts on choke when it's cold. It's like the engine overfuels and pumps the exhaust gas directly into the cabin, avoiding the exhaust pipe all together!

Once the engine gets warm the smell stops. I will check the vent tube later on, but for the moment any other ideas guys?

Cheers