PDA

View Full Version : Vanishing Water

SnakeyesTx
09-07-2006, 01:32 PM
The other day to my horror I saw a puddle forming under the front end of the car. I pop the hood and see water dripping down the driver's side tank of the radiator. Initally I fear the tank is separating from the core, but then I notice a bit of green around the cap. It appeared that the cap may not have been on tight enough, so after refilling the radiator (maybe a quart of water at the most) I put the cap back on almost tight enough to the point to where my hand would slip off (not so hard that I'd twist the whole radiator).

That was three days ago. No puddles at all since then, but I can see the tank is about 3 inches lower than I filled it since then and the Coolant Level warning is coming on again. No water around the cap, no water coming down the tank... no puddles, and no water in the oil or vice versa. Everything runs fine, and the temperature gauge still doesn't go past halfway.

Any idea where the water is going? (Water/antifreeze mixture before evaporation is suggested) Seems like quite a bit for only 3 days and no puddle.

Ross
09-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Probably just displaced air in the system. Watch the coolant level!! Could be trouble brewing.

mamilapon
09-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Bleed it and top it up, you should be right. Watch the temp regularly.