PDA

View Full Version : Valve Cover Gasket a bit bent.. problem?

rreimund
09-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Ok, so I'm getting geared up to do my first valve adjustment ever.. and the first time I'm taking apart my car (any car for that matter) to the point where you can see their inards. That said, I ordered a gasket kit online and it came shipped direct from Beck/Arnley. Problem is when I took it out of the box, the gasket, still shrinkwrapped to a piece of stiff cardboard had a bend on one end. It's about 40 degrees from horizontal. I straightened it out, and put a phone book on it. It seems to be ok and there is no visible damage, but I wonder how sensitive this gasket is to damage. Anyone have any experience with that?

Dr. evil
09-07-2006, 01:12 PM
is it plastic or paper

Ross
09-07-2006, 01:18 PM
If it's not cracked or broken it's fine. Search here for the banjo bolts topic regarding the retaining bolts for the oil lines that feed the top end on that engine. If in doubt use some silicone in that area.
Follow the procedure for the adjustment carefully as having the cam in the wrong position will negate any adjustment you do. Too loose is better than too tight.

rreimund
09-07-2006, 01:20 PM
To be honest it's hard to tell.. since I haven't taken it out of the shrinkwrap. It appears to be a metal spine attached to some paper laminate.
Looks like this:
http://www.mvreader.com/multiview/beckArnley/graphics/67/f00k2b.jpg

I know that picture is pretty much useless. :D

EDIT:
Just noticed that towards the right hand side of the gasket in the picture it looks just like mine does.. it's got a bit of a bend in it on the horizontal plane I guess they bent that one too..

rreimund
09-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I saw the banjo bolt issue.. How many was it I needed? Anywhere I can get them online, I hate dealing with the local dealer.. not to mention I work in NYC, so by the time I get home it's way late to deal with them.

Where do you mean to use silicone? On the gasket?

Rus
09-07-2006, 03:18 PM
I ordered a VC gasket for my 535i as well and it was bent during shipping causing a crack to appear in one side of the material. If yours doesn't have any tears or cracks, its probably safe to use. I ended up having another one sent to me (my compliments to AutoHausAZ.com). HTH

rreimund
09-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Cool, I guess I'll inspect it closely to be sure.. and if it's not cracked I'll use it.

Dr. evil
09-07-2006, 03:29 PM
it's going to leAK

Dr. evil
09-07-2006, 04:09 PM
maybe put some of that oil glue stuff

what it call RTV or something

Ross
09-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Most of the folks here use BMA. There is also europarts direct. Or the dealer, the parts guys are usually happy to help and if you appreciate their efforts will often give you the trade price.
Or try Hunterdon BMW in Lebanon, NJ they will ship to you if you like. Ask for Rob, tell him Ross with the "wrong" tps sent you.

mamilapon
09-07-2006, 05:12 PM
You'll need two.And please make sure you use a torque wrench to tighten them because you risk squashing the oil spray tube.Have you got your Bentley manual yet? All torque values are in there.

rreimund
09-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Nope, no Bentley yet.. But I ordered a cheapo torque wrench from harbor freight until I can get a nice one down the road.

That said, I think the torque values for those I beleive are on BMWE34.net.
Besides, it's going to be a few weeks before I do it.. as it happens, when I read through it all I realized it would be a real great time to replace the spark plugs, and I figure also check the distributor and wires... so I'm saving up to get that stuff on hand before I open her up. No sense in doing the work twice.