PDA

View Full Version : Well, the results are in...(newbie here..please bear with)

nmwaldron
09-06-2006, 10:51 PM
I just heard back from the bmw dealership on my 95 525i. It was leaking oil and they said the valve cover was leaking ($200 to fix), the oxygen sensor needs replaced, causing my check engine light to be on ($210 to fix). Also...some possible leaks along the oil pan gasket and front crank shaft seals....(no cost given yet..at $90/hour for labor, it's not gonna be cheap.)The engine was making knocking sounds and to diagnose that, it's gonna take 4 hours of diagnostics including pressure testing...(labor cost =$380). Also...the car wouldnt turn over yesterday when I left the key in the ignition trying to diagnose the check engine prob myself....I had to jump it and they said the battery was possibley cranking low....but they would need a full recharge and test to be sure ($100+ to do)
I have a headache....this is after I paid over $1000 just to get it through inspection..

anyone want to make me an offer???

:)

Jeff in MN
09-06-2006, 11:05 PM
This sounds like a great opportunity to start a small tool chest. Most of these items are DIY. Valve cover gasket you can get on line for less than $30. A screw driver and 10mm socket should be all it takes. 02 Sensor will require you get under the car (Safely) with a 17 or 19mm wrench. Don't worry about the other "possible" leaks until you get the rest sorted. Oil drips are still cheap. As for the battery, Sounds like a good time to head to Sears and pick up a batter charger for around $50. They are good to have around. With a few posts to the forum, you should be able to get through most of this for a lot less than the stealer wants.

Good luck,
Jeff in MN
87-535is, 88-528e, 90-535i w/ 105k.

632 Regal
09-06-2006, 11:10 PM
this is why we are here...
This sounds like a great opportunity to start a small tool chest. Most of these items are DIY. Valve cover gasket you can get on line for less than $30. A screw driver and 10mm socket should be all it takes. 02 Sensor will require you get under the car (Safely) with a 17 or 19mm wrench. Don't worry about the other "possible" leaks until you get the rest sorted. Oil drips are still cheap. As for the battery, Sounds like a good time to head to Sears and pick up a batter charger for around $50. They are good to have around. With a few posts to the forum, you should be able to get through most of this for a lot less than the stealer wants.

Good luck,
Jeff in MN
87-535is, 88-528e, 90-535i w/ 105k.

winfred
09-06-2006, 11:11 PM
yea find a good indy shop to work on it or get a bentley book and learn how to diy, the dealer is no place for a 11 year old car without much trouble they could run up a bill that exceeds the value of the car, another good reason unless you luck out and get a old fart that was there in the day they don't know **** about the old cars

angrypancake
09-06-2006, 11:13 PM
First thing that you need to do is buy a Bentley manual. It will be the best 40 bucks (give or take a couple dollars) that you will spend. After that, take a few deep breaths and appreciate your new Bimmer as your problem child. Sure, it needs some love. You've already learned why we "affectionately" refer to the dealer as the $tealer. Those rotten pirate bastards.

As Jeff in MN said, most of the problems you're incurring right now are DIY. I did my valve cover gasket myself with no real experience, just looking at the picture in my Bentley. It was very straight forward. Cost $15 for teh gasket shipped to my door, and $6.99 for a 6 pack of Magic Hat #9. As for the O2 sensor, again as already stated, no big deal. The leaks? your best bet is to get under the car and spend a lot of time cleaning. Spit shine that bad boy, and then it will be extremely easy to spot where the leaks are coming from. No need to pay ridiculous prices for idiots to "search" for where leaks are coming from.

Good luck, and welcome to the board. Here's to a long stay and a fun time with your new love (raises beer in your honor)

winfred
09-06-2006, 11:14 PM
22mm aka 7/8s on the 02 sensor and 10mm for the piece that shields the wire up to the motor where it plugs in

02 Sensor will require you get under the car (Safely) with a 17 or 19mm wrench.

Airborne001
09-07-2006, 06:14 AM
the battery was possibley cranking low....but they would need a full recharge and test to be sure ($100+ to do)

GEZUS- 100$ to test and charge a battery that costs 65$ to replace?

nmwaldron
09-07-2006, 07:50 AM
well first, thanks for all your responses and suport. I just called the dealer....sorry, the stealer :) first thing and told them not to bother fixing it...(they're still gonna charge me $90 for their time but we live and learn I guess). I'm gonna pick it up after work.
Any suggestions on where to get the valve cover gasket from? I've seen kits for around $40 online plus shipping which include the actual cover gasket and gaskets for the valves(or cylinders..not sure which as there's six of them)is this all I need?
That's the first prob I'm gonna work on fixing...after I pick up a bentley manual and then we'll go from there.
Thanks again

Nathan

632 Regal
09-07-2006, 09:02 AM
Use www.bmaparts.com Patrick and Yives know BMWs and you will get the correct quality OEM parts 99% of the time. Call them and you will get everything you need, their web site is far from complete.

Bookmark the following pages for refrence:

www.realoem.com <- heres your part numbers

www.bimmernut.com/wwwboard/e34/si.html <- search engine

saluki540i
09-07-2006, 09:16 AM
This is coming from the guy that as a kid didn't want to learn how to maintain his car. I see things a little differently today as I don't want anyone else to maintain my car. This is my paragraph of wisdom accumulated over a few years. Tighter is not necessarily better, and if it doesn't seem right or doesn't make sense - check or ASK - Especially when you're talking aluminum heads, and other expensive stuff. I know - been there and done that. I'm a mechanic by trade, but still use a torque wrench whenever possible, because the posted specifications came from somewhere. BTW, doing all the work myself is the only reason I choose to afford my 540i - so I can relate cause it really drives like no other.

GoldenEagleFan
09-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Agree with the torque wrench...Better to be careful

Go slow...Think and rethink every move.Measure twice and cut once I guess.
Seems like every goof bone thing I've done has been when I was in a hurry.

Also if a bolt doesn't start by hand into a threaded hole don't force it. Don't put a wrench on it and hope it starts. Take it out, clean the threads, clean the bolt and start over.

Ross
09-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Definately do these things yourself. The O2 sensor just unscrews and plugs in. The rocker cover is easy as pie. Wash things off underneath with brake cleaner and watch for the other leaks. A new battery costs less than that diagnostic fee. So far your under $200. The knocking sound could be a concern, what did the $90/hr guys speculate it was?? A bearing knock is the worst case, so if that's it save your dough on the other stuff and look into that before you run it any more. Chances are if they figured four hours to diagnose they didn't have a clue. Good news for you as they would have spotted a rod knock right off(I hope).
Can anyone here tell me what sort of "pressure test" they are thinking of to diagnose a knock? How much pressure they can put on this guys wallet perhaps.
And yes if you get disgusted I'll make you an offer.