PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard lights out

gmonroy
09-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Hello Gents
I have a '95 525i and seem to have an electrical issue with it. it still had the original stereo in it up until a couple of weeks ago, it (the stereo) would turn on for about a minute then completely loose power (it just wouldn't power up) and so my battery was drained (I'm assuming the stereo was the problem). I got a new battery and a new stereo but now (a couple of weeks after replacing the battery) my dashboard lights are doing the same thing; they are on for about a minute then go off and I cannot get them to turn on again until the car sits overnight then the same thing happens.
It seems like too much power is being drawn and some power distribution mechanism is cutting power to the dashboard lights because of their low importance (compared to other systems in the car) of course this is only a theory of mine.
Does anybody have any idea what could be happening here?
any imput will be appreciated.

BillionPa
09-06-2006, 02:16 PM
the exact same thing is starting to happen to my dash, although its only happened once.

in the case of my dash, it happens to be a relay or a capacitor that controls a relay.... and its either in the dash or the LKM or RM, and since it only happened once i havent looked at the wiring yet.

i fixed it by yanking all the modules out and pushing them back in.... but i know its only temporary. luckily the gauges are still working and i dont need to yank out the dash again and replace capacitors, but its only a matter of time.