PDA

View Full Version : E34 M50 Flywheel Swap

Cressidom
09-06-2006, 10:40 AM
HI all was going thru some of the older threads on the subject..just trying to determine that the swap for a M50 2.0 flywheel with an E28 one is not possible ?

Thanks much
Dom

Cressidom
09-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Bump.. anyone M50 guru's ??

tks

Brandon J
09-13-2006, 08:37 PM
I am assuming that you were trying to see if there were any mods like the 535i M30 engines. There is, but not as easy and perhaps not as good. You can use an e30 325i M20 single mass flywheel and bolt on an e30 M3 sport clutch. You will need to change the fork to an e21 320i unit, and maybe the slave cylinder as well. Last time I checked on this was years ago so this is only as a guide for further research not actual.

Is it all worth it. I don't think so. If you are going to go light and want a stronger clutch, look into what the e36 M3 uses. That market is much bigger and the clutch feel will be better than using a tough e30 M3 clutch.

What ever you choose, remember if you go single mass, use a clutch that is made for the single mass. They have springs to counter the rattle. So, if you use a lightweight flywheel with any stock based M50 clutch, you will get rattle. The UUC flywheel used with the e34 M5 clutch doesn't rattle as much because the clutch is made for the single mass flywheel from a stock M5 compensates for the rattle.

Good luck with your research.