PDA

View Full Version : Back on the road with a turbo :)...[pics]

luke01
09-06-2006, 08:35 AM
So after a long wait my car is finally back on-road. Still not running properly, need bigger injectors and i think megasquirt is the way to go. Runnng a Garrett GT32, front mount intercooler, 2:1 RRFPR, custom made 2.5" straight through exhaust + custom manifold. Got a manual boost controller on the way which should help control boost. Need to get some heat shielding in as the coil + spark leads are getting way too hot. Was thinking of the Megasquirt version1 to run bigger injectors. How easy is it to rig up and tune in? and how effective do you think it'd be?

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/3506/20060906bmwnightshoot0038ya8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/5805/20060906bmwnightshoot0049wd9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/4573/20060906bmwnightshoot0122qc5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/2056/20060906bmwnightshoot0125li5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Qube
09-06-2006, 08:57 AM
C'mon Jon K... jump on this one ;) Let's get some sound bytes eh?

GoldenOne
09-06-2006, 09:37 AM
ahhh so what numbers are you putting down with this setup???

Ross
09-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Look at Jon K posts

ILoveMPower
09-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Sweet :)

Dr. Bimmer
09-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Sweet setup! Looking at your car I saw that you have side marker lights. How difficult are they to install and hook up to the turn sigs? Mine is a 90 535i and didn't come with the side marker lights.

Macv
09-06-2006, 03:10 PM
I'd imagine it would be pretty simple Dr. Bimmer. Buy the fender with the hole, buy the light, and wire it with the sidemarkers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Without the light looks cleaner imo

luke01
09-06-2006, 05:26 PM
mine came standard with those lights (i just upgraded to clears). I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to install some though

nizmainiac
09-06-2006, 05:30 PM
what sort of power are you making from that set up luke?

luke01
09-06-2006, 05:48 PM
no idea yet, its running way too lean though, need bigger injectors and some sort of fuel-only computer perhaps to get it up and running properly, then i'll chuck it on a dyno.

Nick.Hay
09-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Hey look, that looks excellent!!

Can't wait to see it in the flesh!!

Top work soldier... :D

SC David
09-06-2006, 10:45 PM
THIS is what my M20 needs! Very nice setup you have there, can't wait to see it completed.

BigKriss
09-06-2006, 11:22 PM
I didn't realise you where in Tassie, Luke. How much did the parts cost you and are you going to get it engineered? What dimensions are the intercooler?

Jon K
09-07-2006, 12:44 AM
MS-1 would be easy on an M20 go to www.e30tech.com look in their forum, they all run MS.

Thing is, that's not a GT30 or 32 or what not. GT series turbos are water cooled and oil cooled... if your turbo has ports for water you better hook that up before it COOKS.

Also, a 2:1 FMU won't do ANYTHING at all really. If you want, I have a couple rising rate adjustable fuel pressure regulators laying around. $30 and they're yours. Or do megasquirt with big injectors. I am running 42#/hr injectors (stock on your car is 15# i think) but a MUCH larger compressor. However, mustangs with vortech blowers run 12:1 FMUs... 2:1 is honestly not doing anything for you - do not get on boost, that car WILL blow up.

luke01
09-07-2006, 01:24 AM
I didn't realise you where in Tassie, Luke. How much did the parts cost you and are you going to get it engineered? What dimensions are the intercooler?

Yeah, I'm up in North-West Tassie, Devonport. Whole exhaust system was $2000, turbo was $1100, rrfpr (which i now know is way too small) was $300, intercooler + plumbing $1800. +$1000 of labour (moving battery, moving radiator, making intercooler mounts, etc). Not sure what the exact dimensions of IC are, biggest that would fit basically, its medium. Have got it engineered yet, haven't decided.

luke01
09-07-2006, 01:26 AM
MS-1 would be easy on an M20 go to www.e30tech.com look in their forum, they all run MS.

Thing is, that's not a GT30 or 32 or what not. GT series turbos are water cooled and oil cooled... if your turbo has ports for water you better hook that up before it COOKS.

Also, a 2:1 FMU won't do ANYTHING at all really. If you want, I have a couple rising rate adjustable fuel pressure regulators laying around. $30 and they're yours. Or do megasquirt with big injectors. I am running 42#/hr injectors (stock on your car is 15# i think) but a MUCH larger compressor. However, mustangs with vortech blowers run 12:1 FMUs... 2:1 is honestly not doing anything for you - do not get on boost, that car WILL blow up.

I was lead to believe it was a GT32, either way, its not watercooled. Turbo is rated at around 500hp i believe. I reckon i'll go MS with big injectors, what will fit, and where can i find them? would i be better going second hand and cleaning them...or brand new?

Thayne
09-07-2006, 01:35 AM
Looks pretty nice.

genphreak
09-07-2006, 06:37 AM
I was lead to believe it was a GT32, either way, its not watercooled. Turbo is rated at around 500hp i believe. I reckon i'll go MS with big injectors, what will fit, and where can i find them? would i be better going second hand and cleaning them...or brand new?Great move Luke, couple of words of warning. Heat is going to be a major problem. You will cook the coil and the leads. Also think about protecting the bonnet pad as it will cook too. The infra red radiation from the hot side of the turbo will be hell on earth for anything in the vicinity. I'd be worried about the paint on the bonnet myself,espeically after coming to a standstill after any kind of hard driving. You really need to move the coil, and antyhing else in the road before it dies/burns deteriorates.

I gotta do this mod too...

In terms of engine managment, you need to follow the lead here- Jon K but also all the e36/e30 turbo dudes are mad about the MS for good reason. Its cheap, you can buy it all online and make it yourself. People in the US sell them fabricated, tested and loaded with the software of your choice no trouble. There's a vendor in the US with the eBay ID shoenf; he quoted me recently on an MS (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fully-Assembled-MegaSquirt-MS-1-V3-PCB-in-BlackCase_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33553QQihZ002 QQitemZ120027162548QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW) and had this to say;

USPS Airmail is $20 without insurance 6-10day.

An MS2 is $100 extra, this is pretty much all chip cost as an MS2 cost $80-90 without shipping. I pretty much install it for free if you want it.

For what your describing I'd use an MS1 with MSNSE as your going to use I think a wheel decoder set-up as the Motronic I think uses a 60-2 style or similiar VR sensor wheel. Which means you want to use a V3 board with a built in VR circuit.

Also 3 coils 6 cylinder one firing during exhuast is called wasted spark whhich MSNSE supports. Depending on the coils you use you may or may not need VB921 Ignitors. $12 each with install, V3 PCB has 1 stock so if you needed them it would be $24(2) extra from me.

I think its worth buying it made if it comes pre tested, that way you do not have to buy, build and test your own stimulator, if you can trust the vendor enough that is.. :) Nick

luke01
09-07-2006, 06:48 AM
Great move Luke, couple of words of warning. Heat is going to be a major problem. You will cook the coil and the leads. Also think about protecting the bonnet pad as it will cook too. The infra red radiation from the hot side of the turbo will be hell on earth for anything in the vicinity. I'd be worried about the paint on the bonnet myself,espeically after coming to a standstill after any kind of hard driving. You really need to move the coil, and antyhing else in the road before it dies/burns deteriorates.

I gotta do this mod too...

In terms of engine managment, you need to follow the lead here- Jon K but also all the e36/e30 turbo dudes are mad about the MS for good reason. Its cheap, you can buy it all online and make it yourself. People in the US sell them fabricated, tested and loaded with the software of your choice no trouble. There's a vendor in the US with the eBay ID shoenf; he quoted me recently on an MS (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fully-Assembled-MegaSquirt-MS-1-V3-PCB-in-BlackCase_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33553QQihZ002 QQitemZ120027162548QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW) and had this to say;

USPS Airmail is $20 without insurance 6-10day.

An MS2 is $100 extra, this is pretty much all chip cost as an MS2 cost $80-90 without shipping. I pretty much install it for free if you want it.

For what your describing I'd use an MS1 with MSNSE as your going to use I think a wheel decoder set-up as the Motronic I think uses a 60-2 style or similiar VR sensor wheel. Which means you want to use a V3 board with a built in VR circuit.

Also 3 coils 6 cylinder one firing during exhuast is called wasted spark whhich MSNSE supports. Depending on the coils you use you may or may not need VB921 Ignitors. $12 each with install, V3 PCB has 1 stock so if you needed them it would be $24(2) extra from me.

I think its worth buying it made if it comes pre tested, that way you do not have to buy, build and test your own stimulator, if you can trust the vendor enough that is.. :) Nick

Yeah Jon K has talked me into the MS-I with the upgraded firmware, seems the way to go. Making up some stainless steel heat shielding for the turbo, hopefully it'll keep enough heat away from all the components, if not, i'll move the coil, got some exhuast heat material that i might try wrapping the spark leads in...any other ideas for them?

genphreak
09-07-2006, 07:30 AM
Yeah Jon K has talked me into the MS-I with the upgraded firmware, seems the way to go. Making up some stainless steel heat shielding for the turbo, hopefully it'll keep enough heat away from all the components, if not, i'll move the coil, got some exhuast heat material that i might try wrapping the spark leads in...any other ideas for them?No move the coil. With the MS you can replace the whole thing anyhow. I think the 'GM coilpacks' Jon used are the same as Commodore coils (it has a Buick engine), so you just have to score some of them? Dunno really as I haven't done this yet. But all I6s fire 3 cylinders per cycle, so it only needs 3 coils and then you have sequential injection with amazing control using the modern MS firmware. Your coil may die anyway, they don't last forever as BMW employs a somewhat high energy system standard.

Insulation is best done like this;

Energy travels >>>>>>>>> (ie Heat flow) as follows
Heat Source > A B C D E F > Cool Item to be protected
A: Reflective material like smooth Kitchen foil, it reflects the infra red rays
B: Air gap or some heat resistant packing ie fibreglass fur (as per roof insulation)
C: Substrate for strength and insulation
D: air gap
E: more of B
and then as many more layers as you can fit in the space available...until you get to..
F: More reflective material like that smooth Kitchen foil
Make sure the foil has shiny side facing the heat source. In the space you have there, a plumbed (cooled) turbo seems a real good idea to me, it is what I will do unless I can fit it below as is my preference (unlikely)

Jon K
09-11-2006, 12:43 AM
Talk to be before you make the move to megasquirt - I will build you one for cheaper than he mentions. Also, I urge you to dump the single coil and get a GM 3 coil tower for wasted spark ignition - much more accurate and reliable than distributor. I am currently building a 6 COP unit for a guy with a 325is on bimmerforums. Let me know if you're interested.