PDA

View Full Version : Ever put the steering wheel from a 95 on an earlier E34?

Evan
09-05-2006, 08:46 PM
I'm trying to fit the steering wheel from a 95 onto my 94... the airbag plug is the same but the rest doesn't seem to be an exact fit.

has anyone tried this?

ruffbunch
09-07-2006, 08:04 PM
I'm trying to fit the steering wheel from a 95 onto my 94... the airbag plug is the same but the rest doesn't seem to be an exact fit.

has anyone tried this?

I am trying the same thing with my '95 525i and the air bag connector on the back is an orange plug but the wiring under the steering column is different. I am going to go back to the salvage yard tomorrow and see if I can find a wheel that will fit. My reason for replacing is the noise it makes when turning. Not sure if the steering wheel has to be same year but it looks like it.

winfred
09-07-2006, 08:27 PM
should work back to 91, the 90 and older has different splines and is held on with a 22mm nut where the later is a 18mm (if i remember correctly) bolt

ruffbunch
09-07-2006, 08:30 PM
should work back to 91, the 90 and older has different splines and is held on with a 22mm nut where the later is a 18mm (if i remember correctly) bolt

the nut is not the issue with mine- the wiring for the air is different so you can't reconnect the air bag (not the connection behind the air bag but the wires that run under the steering column)

VentoGT
09-08-2006, 11:19 AM
I believe that you have to swap the slip ring from your old wheel onto the new one. Let me know if that solves the problem.

ruffbunch
09-08-2006, 10:18 PM
I believe that you have to swap the slip ring from your old wheel onto the new one. Let me know if that solves the problem.

I tried to put a steering wheel from a 1990 525i on my 1995 525i and the wiring under the steering column for the air bag was different. I went back to the salvage yard and they had a 1995 525i steering wheel. I installed it today with my air bag in it and it turns smooth as new with absolutely no noise. I must say for $25 that was a sweet deal. (I basically traded my steering wheel for his plus $25) Hope that helps you because it looked like trading out the slip ring was going to be a real headache.