PDA

View Full Version : Is there an aftermarket equivalent to BMW coolant???

MO525
04-07-2004, 09:02 PM
It is around 35 miles to my "local" BMW dealer, that is why I ask.
VERY "out of the way" for me.

I was just curious if there was an aftermarket equivalent to the magical BMW coolant?
I purchased my car and it has GREEN coolant in it, no doubt from a previous owner's repair.
All BMW coolant is BLUE, correct?

Thanks for the input.

MicahO
04-08-2004, 02:28 PM
The aftermarket equivalent is Zerex G48, however that's going to be tougher to find in the US than the BMW packaging, unless you like 55 gallon drums. Zerex G05 is a very similar mix, if you are not terribly concerned about color.

Unless you need to do it this weekend, just order some from BavAuto, and I think BMA sells it now as well. BavAuto's got it for $13 or so a bottle, then some shipping. Some people feel differently than I, but I figure it's not a bad cost since you're only doing it about every two years.

It is around 35 miles to my "local" BMW dealer, that is why I ask.
VERY "out of the way" for me.

I was just curious if there was an aftermarket equivalent to the magical BMW coolant?
I purchased my car and it has GREEN coolant in it, no doubt from a previous owner's repair.

Thanks for the input.

dave b
04-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Or, use the mercedes coolant. I've run mine for the past two years with no issues.

However, my 2 years are almost up, so I plan on replacing it with the blue BMW stuff. BMA does indeed sell it now.

MO525
04-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Or, use the mercedes coolant. I've run mine for the past two years with no issues.

However, my 2 years are almost up, so I plan on replacing it with the blue BMW stuff. BMA does indeed sell it now.

WAY too many "if's" involved.
I'll pick it up from my local dealer (35 miles away).
The price is comparable to mail-ordering and paying the BIG shipping.

Keith
04-08-2004, 10:27 PM
I agree with Dave B, if you talk to Patrick (as I did when I bought my radiator) he's the one that suggested the Mercedes coolant, at a "much" greater savings than BMW's.
If I remeber correctly, the Mercedes coolant is yellow.

Keith

Drooby
04-09-2004, 09:13 AM

The BMW Coolant IS BLUE , however , I just changed mine last weekend ( I actually couldnt get "all" the coolant out , only about 1.75 gallons because I was too lazy to open the engine block drain and it was too hard to get to so after draining the Radiator I ran the car for about 10 minutes to get some more out)

So anyway , the reason I an replying s because when I changed it ,the coolant that was in there from the previous owner was GREEN , so I thought maybe I should put the BMW BLUE in , but after changing about almost 2 gallons , its still GREEN , so I guess when it gets in there its turns green not blue.(maybe its the mixing)

just my 2 cents

dave b
04-09-2004, 11:15 AM
The mercedes coolant is an orangish yellow, I have been topping off with BMW blue over the past two years with no issues; I now run a slightly blue mix.

Get the BMW stuff if it's convenient, if not, the Benz is fine. Those are really the only two options. Not worth the headache or worry to do anything else.

Of course, avoid anything at Pep Boys or Autozone.