PDA

View Full Version : OT- Crocodile Hunter is dead

pundit
09-03-2006, 11:47 PM
CRIKEY!!! - Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin is dead (http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1732439.htm)

Betcha he would have rather had his head bitten off by a croc though.

Jehu
09-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Just read that too. Hope his wife hears it before overhearing it.I see a market in kevlar diving gear ...

GJPinAU
09-04-2006, 12:04 AM
CRIKEY!!! - Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin is dead (http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1732439.htm)

Betcha he would have rather had his head bitten off by a croc though.
And you didn't expect this to happen?
Getting done in by a stingray, dang it, it ya can't shoot it with a shot gun, don't go near it!

misfortune
09-04-2006, 12:32 AM
GJ do you have a bad opinion of irwin? Lots of aussies seem to hate him

BigKriss
09-04-2006, 01:20 AM
wow, that news is so bad. What is there to hate about him?

shogun
09-04-2006, 01:26 AM
Diving, my favourite sport. Had a great time in AUS on a 5 days onboard diving trip from Cairns to Lizzard Island.Every day 4 dives at a different spot of the Great Barrier Reef.
Only the sharks I did not like that much, but these were white tip reef sharks and I was told they are not so dangerous.
Sorry for him and his family, although I have seen only a few TV shows here in Japan

Thayne
09-04-2006, 03:27 AM
That sucks he was pretty entertaining.

genphreak
09-04-2006, 04:20 AM
Yea its pretty sad,

He really had his 'heart in the right place'- but as it happened, the wrong place (at the time).

He did more for raising environmental issues and fostering an understanding of animals (esp crocs) in Queensland than anybody else there, without that being his prime objective. He just really loved animals.

I never liked his approach much, but it appealed to the masses. Many cringe form the cultural shock he caused, but he's done soooo much good up there. He's a real industry, a bit like Paul Hogan.

I liked him, but never watched his shows. Found them more than tedious. I'd rather watch crocs than a madman with crocs.

He'll be sorely missed, its a bad thing- there really are plenty of other people we could do without down here. :) Nick

MBXB
09-04-2006, 04:24 AM
Very sad.
My kids loved his shows.

emw525E34
09-04-2006, 06:18 AM
Very sad!. What a freak accident!. I guess it has to do with wildlife. That would be what Stevie would want, I expect.
Mu kids loved him too.... sadly missed. RIP

Nick.Hay
09-04-2006, 06:30 AM
He should have put on some sunscreen lotion...

apparently it blocks 'harmful rays'!!

nizmainiac
09-04-2006, 07:10 AM
just goes to show that you can have all the expertize in the world, but you can never prepare for an accident like that R.I.P. steve

winfred
09-04-2006, 11:33 AM
his antics will be missed (http://www.ehowa.com/youtubemovie.shtml?movie=EBwRE4bo30o)

SharkmanBMW
09-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Crikey!
I liked that guy, a good all around animal lover.
He will be missed by many, not to mention his family.:(

Ross
09-04-2006, 12:55 PM
Too bad. Gonna' be tough for a young family. He was fortunate to enjoy his work so.
It looked to me that he had a sense of humor about himself. Who saw the FedEx commercial he did?

Zeuk in Oz
09-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Interesting reactions.

He was more loved abroad than in Oz.

I must admit that I was a bit like Genphreak - never really warmed to him and didn't like his shows. Still really sad that he is gone as he certainly raised wildlife issues to higher levels.

I feel for his family.

sKilled
09-04-2006, 05:33 PM
He should have put on some sunscreen lotion...

apparently it blocks 'harmful rays'!!

That stings!

SharkmanBMW
09-04-2006, 05:34 PM
He was a huge hit in North America, his shows were informational and it showed he cared and usually made you care somehow.

He was a person that really raised animal awareness, and these days there aren't many!

ThoreauHD
09-04-2006, 05:41 PM
His wife seems to be really nice. I hate to think the hell she's going through right now. And his 2 kids. That really sucks.

I didn't like his methods either. He was too cavalier(not scared enough) of the world around him. And fear keeps you alive. I did like how he got people excited about preserving habitat. But I didn't like pissing off the animals to make it pretty for the camera. I didn't think that was cool at all.

Coming close up behind a stingray so that his barb goes straight into your 2nd and 3rd rib is not a real great thing to do- and it's actually the worst position. I'm a scuba diver, and when diving you can gently approach them from the side- so they can see you easier. The eyes are angled up and to the side. And then gently rub or hold onto the side of their fins. You don't ride on top. You may be able to let him tug you on the side of his fin.

You can only ride on top of Manta Rays. They are massive and don't have a stinger because they don't need one. They will block the light out of the ocean.. beautiful animals.

Anyhow, in a long line of dumbshit things to do, this one did him in. I thought he was a great guy though. And I'm from the states. I just didn't like the pissing off of the animals- and apparently the animals didn't either. Condolences to his cool wife and kids.

GJPinAU
09-04-2006, 05:45 PM
GJ do you have a bad opinion of irwin? Lots of aussies seem to hate him
The old saying: "Play with fire and you're going to get burnt"
We don't/didn't hate him, just can't come to terms with someone that carry's on like a nutter all the time, some people like that sought of thing, most of us can't be fussed.
I think he came across as more of a comedian than someone serious about the environment, although he and his business have done a lot for protection of wildlife.

Do we know if he flew to Cairns yesterday morning, if not, his kids missed out on having Fathers' Day with him on Sunday? Now that would be sad:(

wjbell
09-04-2006, 06:41 PM
That's really too bad. I feel for his family and for him too.

But... and as terrible as it is to say, I new his antics would end up killing him. Just like the first time I saw the Grizzly Man (Timothy Treadwell) on TV. My first thought was, "This guy's an idiot! And will probably be dead soon." Seriously, the first time I saw him on the Discovery channel I new he was going to die from what he was doing.

Wild animals are wild animals. When you carelessly push the limits (and your luck), eventually, it's going to catch up to you.

I really hate to sound negative here but it really seems like these guys were short on common sense.

SharkmanBMW
09-04-2006, 06:57 PM
That's really too bad. I feel for his family and for him too.

But... and as terrible as it is to say, I new his antics would end up killing him. Just like the first time I saw the Grizzly Man (Timothy Treadwell) on TV. My first thought was, "This guy's an idiot! And will probably be dead soon." Seriously, the first time I saw him on the Discovery channel I new he was going to die from what he was doing.

Wild animals are wild animals. When you carelessly push the limits (and your luck), eventually, it's going to catch up to you.

I really hate to sound negative here but it really seems like these guys were short on common sense.

or high on adrenaline, don't underestimate the RUSH you could get from doing what he did daily.

and the grizzly man was absolutely insane!
I freaked when I watched that film... the guy had irrational expectations and it was a matter of time...
The croc hunter wasn't that mad, just pushed the envelope once too far on the wrong day.

mamilapon
09-04-2006, 11:13 PM
We've lost an icon but at least he died doing what he loved .

mattyb
09-05-2006, 12:52 AM
R.I.P. what an ambassdor for conservation, albeit in a crazy way it took a while to get used to Irwin but his message was to the point and at least he knew what he was talking about and got stuck in there. very sad indeed.

fuk it! lets go and get all them stingrays before they get us!

angrypancake
09-05-2006, 01:16 AM
at least he went out doing what he loved best

RobE34
09-05-2006, 04:31 AM
His zoo in Queensland employed 500, yes 500 people and every one of them is going to keep his legacy going.
He was secretly spending his millions buying back native land to protect his beloved wildlife. 40,000 hectares (100,000 acres) of it.
He has an estimated fan base world-wide of 500,000,000. That's five hundred million!!!
His "Wildlife Warriors" foundation is protecting hundreds of animals all round the world.
Our Federal government has offered his family a state funeral. These aren't given out to just anyone.
He told his mate who was with him just before it happened. "This has been the best month of my life mate!"
R.I.P. Steve. I didn't like you but I sue as hell respect and appreciate what you have done.

shuriken
09-05-2006, 05:36 AM
On news today they said that the police had reviewed the video footage that he was taking and that he was just swimming over the top of the ray. You saw the tail come up and him pull out the spike. No antincs from Steve on this occasion just swimming. Last time someone was killed buy a sting ray in Oz was in 1944!!!! Only 16 deaths in last 100 years. Now that is ironic bad luck. What ever people thought of his mad behaviour he bought wild life to a new generation of kids, whom might have thought the regular wild life programs were too boring. He's a legend and will be sorely missed. RIP Steve.

genphreak
09-05-2006, 06:37 AM
for sure.

The tourism providers will miss him the most, but the pollies see populairty in his connection with the average Aussie (even though we don't jump up and down for him as his antics make us cringe so). The Pollies will claim to be the most mournful because he embodies what our population considers to be a thing called 'the classic aussie battler' (a concept now truly divorced from any of our elected representatives (depsite them promptly donning Akubra Hats whenever they 'go bush' to speak to the people (collect votes).

The Aussie battler heralds from colonial days when the English/Irish/Chinese settlers/invaders had to battle one of the harshest environments in the world with little help from the Crown. Every now and then someone would be hauled in front of a Kangaroo Court to be made an example of (oftentime having done something akin to the reason they were sent here as a convict in the first place). These fellows (Ned Kelly was one of the famous 'outlaws' we revere to this day) gained instant popularity amongst the rest of the struggling settlers (ie battlers), who still had bones to pick with authority.

I bet the pollies will be finding ways to 'remember Steve' moments before many elections to come... but their loss (or gain) will pale in significance to the sadness his favourite croc felt for the extent of its entire 2.3 seconds of attention span when it missed out on the pedigree baby it was hoping to snap up (along with Steve's leg) when he so smartly showed off his pride and joy to the Tourists (and their cameras, in front of his Great Triassic Mate...

F4Phantom
09-05-2006, 07:19 AM
Was watching the news today and they were saying steve was earning 20M a year just from tv stuff. They also mentioned he put the lot back into conservation. think what you will, I didnt love the shows and sometimes the hype was a bit much but at the end the guy was honest, fought a good fight for something of prime importance (to all of us) and put his money on the line, all of it. That to me is someone of value. If I earned 20M a year would I put it all into the cause of my life? This clearly illustrates this guys character.

sbihue
09-05-2006, 07:29 AM
It sure is a sad day whether anyone liked or did not like the guy or his show(s). He put his money where his mouth was and did a lot to boost awareness about wildlife preservation not only in his native Australia but elsewhere as well.
I was following his news y'day on the news and according to one of the doctors, Steve pulled out the stingray barb from his heart after being stung. That is probably what caused more damage leading to his immediate death. As per the experts, to die of a barb from a stingray, you have to be hit in THAT 3" area around the heart which is like 1-in-a-million. What a freak accident.
Maybe he went a bit too far this time (he was often accused of not taking enough precautions when dealing with wildlife) but he died doing what he loved most and that will be his legacy.

genphreak
09-05-2006, 07:34 AM
R.I.P. what an ambassdor for conservation, albeit in a crazy way it took a while to get used to Irwin but his message was to the point and at least he knew what he was talking about and got stuck in there. very sad indeed.

fuk it! lets go and get all them stingrays before they get us!Yea, it's interesting psychology.

A stingray kills one of our most famous friends, but we have no desire to sail the high seas for weeks to find it.

On the other hand, if it was a shark that had a nibble of a swimmer (by accident or otherwise) we'd be stringing up every shark we could find to avenge the loss.

genphreak
09-05-2006, 07:36 AM
It sure is a sad day whether anyone liked or did not like the guy or his show(s). He put his money where his mouth was and did a lot to boost awareness about wildlife preservation not only in his native Australia but elsewhere as well.
I was following his news y'day on the news and according to one of the doctors, Steve pulled out the stingray barb from his heart after being stung. That is probably what caused more damage leading to his immediate death. As per the experts, to die of a barb from a stingray, you have to be hit in THAT 3" area around the heart which is like 1-in-a-million. What a freak accident.
Maybe he went a bit too far this time (he was often accused of not taking enough precautions when dealing with wildlife) but he died doing what he loved most and that will be his legacy.Terrible. I hope pulling it out didn't kill him- I can imagine him (anyone really) doing that. Was it loss of blood or did the heart too damaged to work (prolly the same thing with a wound in that area)... who knows. :(

F4Phantom
09-05-2006, 07:47 AM
Terrible. I hope pulling it out didn't kill him- I can imagine him (anyone really) doing that. Was it loss of blood or did the heart too damaged to work (prolly the same thing with a wound in that area)... who knows. :(

The venom in the spike that got his heart has a paralising effect so the heart muscles would have been paralised, if it was a clean kinfe wound of the same he likley would have lived.

ILoveMPower
09-05-2006, 08:09 AM
Was watching the news today and they were saying steve was earning 20M a year just from tv stuff. They also mentioned he put the lot back into conservation. think what you will, I didnt love the shows and sometimes the hype was a bit much but at the end the guy was honest, fought a good fight for something of prime importance (to all of us) and put his money on the line, all of it. That to me is someone of value. If I earned 20M a year would I put it all into the cause of my life? This clearly illustrates this guys character.

Well-said, my condolences.

genphreak
09-05-2006, 08:50 AM
The venom in the spike that got his heart has a paralising effect so the heart muscles would have been paralised, if it was a clean kinfe wound of the same he likley would have lived.Yes they are fairly venomous. But if he was able to pull it out, swim out and whatever else... surely if it hit the heart (or its plumbing) PLUS had venom he would have been almost immediately paralysed. (Heart would have immediately stopped- so he'd only have had seconds to think/feel and then blackout).

Tragic: Here we are, collectively mourning via tv, watching the ads and not giving a stuff. Tommorrow morning we have to get back to raping the environment so we can buy more beer and cola. Now, what did that Steve Irwin fella stand up for again... Toyota? Hmm I was going to buy a Jeep, maybe not though, once Toyota release an Irwin LandCruiser with Croc-bar, wading kit and sand filter (plus the optional 1st aid kit) and give a few bucks to the estate for each one they sell... it'd be hard to pass up.

Digita1 Ecstasy
09-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Interesting reactions.

He was more loved abroad than in Oz.

I must admit that I was a bit like Genphreak - never really warmed to him and didn't like his shows. Still really sad that he is gone as he certainly raised wildlife issues to higher levels.

I feel for his family.

I'll have to agree, hated the shows. But what he did do was use his fame for good, pouring most of his money into his conservation cause. Which is always good.

Antrieb
09-05-2006, 02:04 PM
sorry, can't resist this...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/grlundrcovr/a0c61d26913eb4ae3a57c639717b0866.gif

SharkmanBMW
09-05-2006, 02:08 PM
sorry, can't resist this...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/grlundrcovr/a0c61d26913eb4ae3a57c639717b0866.gif

Asshat,
why do you post this? are you an idiot?

you say sorry, so you obviously know it's wrong.

the guy is dead, have some ****ing respect.

nizmainiac
09-05-2006, 02:11 PM
i was gonna say the same thing but you beat me to it

SharkmanBMW
09-05-2006, 02:15 PM
i was gonna say the same thing but you beat me to it

I try these days not to bitch slap members for ignorance, it has been a long time, but this is unacceptable, whether you like Steve or not, the guy was a GREAT human being, antbrain is obviously a complete scumdog for posting that.

In a thread where people are saying how much the liked and respected him, this clown posts that pic... and says "sorry, I couln't resist".... your mother would be proud, douchebag.

nizmainiac
09-05-2006, 02:35 PM
i agree with you 100%, some people have no respect at all, like him or hate there's no denying what steve did to raise awareness about conservation throughout the world not just for kids but adults too, personally i enjoyed his shows even to the point of buying his film on dvd for my daughter (it was for me really)

Zeuk in Oz
09-05-2006, 05:27 PM
he was just swimming over the top of the ray. You saw the tail come up and him pull out the spike. No antincs from Steve on this occasion just swimming.

From what we are hearing from experts on the subject, swimming over the top of a stingray threatens it and some say he should have been aware of this.

Who knows ?

All I am saying is that the stingray reacted instinctively to a perceived threat, rather than any predatory behaviour on the stingray's part.

mattyb
09-05-2006, 05:32 PM
you fkn dikhed. where are you mate cause im gonna kik ur hed in for that.

duby55
09-05-2006, 06:12 PM
My family and I enjoyed him. We will miss Steve and hope his family recovers from his loss. Steve did make 1 of the funniest TV commercials ever, the one for Fed Ex. I see that in my head and still laugh. He was a funny guy and we just loved him.

GJPinAU
09-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Ok, now we can't mention any more of this unless prior arrangement has been made through either Channel 7 or Channel 9 (TV).
Afterall, they own him, right!?
I am SOOOOO sick of the media beating up on each other over someone's loss.
This morning Ch7 had an animation of how the ray stung him. There is a report on schools having memorial services and how kids will need counsellors to learn how to deal with the loss - PLEASE.

pundit
09-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Ok, now we can't mention any more of this unless prior arrangement has been made through either Channel 7 or Channel 9 (TV).
Afterall, they own him, right!?
I am SOOOOO sick of the media beating up on each other over someone's loss.
This morning Ch7 had an animation of how the ray stung him. There is a report on schools having memorial services and how kids will need counsellors to learn how to deal with the loss - PLEASE.
Up until now it's been the Beaconsfield mine incident that's taken the cake for a media chequebook feeding frenzy.
Shows like 'A Current Affair' and especially 'Today Tonight' with Naomi 'Knobgobbler' Robson **** me to tears. Trash TV!!
BTW did you happen to see Robson reporting from Irwins Australia Zoo?
She wore a khaki shirt with of course the mandatory 'Robson' plunging neckline and had a ****in' lizard on her shoulder.
This slut will do absolutely ANYTHING for ratings.
She has ZERO class!
She should be making pornos... 'Naomi does Zoo Animals'

winfred
09-05-2006, 07:24 PM
"now that's funny right there, i don't care who ya are", gotta web site for "knobgobbler" i am somewhat curious :D

'Today Tonight' with Naomi 'Knobgobbler' Robson **** me to tears. Trash TV!!

Evan
09-05-2006, 07:32 PM
we'd better attack the stingrays in the ocean so they don't attack us on land... no cutting and running either

Zeuk in Oz
09-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Up until now it's been the Beaconsfield mine incident that's taken the cake for a media chequebook feeding frenzy.
Shows like 'A Current Affair' and especially 'Today Tonight' with Naomi 'Knobgobbler' Robson **** me to tears. Trash TV!!
BTW did you happen to see Robson reporting from Irwins Australia Zoo?
She wore a khaki shirt with of course the mandatory 'Robson' plunging neckline and had a ****in' lizard on her shoulder.
This slut will do absolutely ANYTHING for ratings.
She has ZERO class!
She should be making pornos... 'Naomi does Zoo Animals'
There is an easy way to avoid watching her, Pundit, turn off the TV.

Or else watch another channel. I haven't watched a news programme for at least 10 years - I much prefer getting that sort of information on the net.

Our TV is almost always on the History channel - gives news a much nicer perspective ! ;)

SharkmanBMW
09-05-2006, 07:37 PM
especially 'Today Tonight' with Naomi 'Knobgobbler' Robson **** me to tears.[/B][/I]

That had me almost spit coffee on my monitor!
I had to google her hoping I would find some hot babe gobbling some knob...
this is all I got:
http://rams263.tripod.com/id11.html

BigKriss
09-05-2006, 07:42 PM
This should give you some idea. (http://rams263.tripod.com/id11.html)

"now that's funny right there, i don't care who ya are", gotta web site for "knobgobbler" i am somewhat curious :D

rob101
09-05-2006, 07:49 PM
DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE
bogans

DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE

oh sorry thats the natural reaction i have when i see her face
Today Tonight is such a base, idiotic and misinformed load of crap. I can only think of extermination. It is an affront to our collective dignity.
and to steve erwin.

GJPinAU
09-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Wonder how long before she gets to make a "home-grown" porno. ala Mimi MacPherson, Jo-Beth Taylor, Gina Boon, and rumours of Catriona Round****.

Now that would boost her ratings LOL

winfred
09-05-2006, 08:20 PM
good god, you'd need a board strapped to your ass to keep from falling in if she gave you brain, around here our news turds are just junkys and get popped on drug charges

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Is what she'd be good for.

winfred
09-05-2006, 09:22 PM
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/icon_jerkoff.gif

Is what she'd be good for.

genphreak
09-05-2006, 10:14 PM
That had me almost spit coffee on my monitor!
I had to google her hoping I would find some hot babe gobbling some knob...
this is all I got:
http://rams263.tripod.com/id11.htmlIf they aren't banned by the government, they should be boycotted by viewers. It cuts me that anyone can stomach her on the idiot box, let alone want to see her; oftentimes, Oz is a country of retards enouraging people like her and her fat media monopolist mates that stand for nothing but perpeutating distorted truths and promoting a massive sideshow to the reality we should be facing.