PDA

View Full Version : annoying grinding noise from front end

pba
09-03-2006, 07:37 PM
would anyone have a diagnosis for a grinding noise coming from the front end when braking. I have ruled out brake pads and discs. the noise happens particularly when braking firmly/hard (around 60 kmh). There is no shaking of steering wheel when this happens and braking does not seem to suffer.
i am stummped.

pba

632 Regal
09-03-2006, 10:16 PM
if it's like a whirring/grinding noise it could be wheel bearings. My has done this for 40k so far so I thought it was normal...lol

Alexlind123
09-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Mine did it right after i replaced my brake pads, then it slowly went away. I was going to guess wheel bearings too, but what do i know?

Jon K
09-04-2006, 02:09 AM
My money is with regal, bearings.

pba
09-04-2006, 02:54 AM
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I am thinking bearings too although i need to jack it up and see if there is any play in the wheels. What about ball joints or suspension?

mamilapon
09-04-2006, 04:25 AM
I've got the same thing. I don't think it's bearings, sounds more like glazed pads.

pba
09-04-2006, 05:09 AM
I've got the same thing. I don't think it's bearings, sounds more like glazed pads.

I thought the same. This is why the first thing i did was to replace the pads with new ones only it continued after that too. This is why i originally suspected it couldn't be the pads. What are the chances of it being this and happening with two sets!!

Alexlind123
09-04-2006, 12:19 PM
I thought the same. This is why the first thing i did was to replace the pads with new ones only it continued after that too. This is why i originally suspected it couldn't be the pads. What are the chances of it being this and happening with two sets!!

Keep in my that my pads did that when they were new. Perhaps the pads are supposed to make that noise.

Ross
09-04-2006, 01:04 PM
I agree, try scuffing up the rotors and pads. Some pad/rotor combos just don't work well so it may return. Be gentle when bedding in fresh brakes.