PDA

View Full Version : Flooded back seat and Disappearing Gas in '90 535i

artemis626
09-02-2006, 10:44 PM
I've had the car for almost two weeks. I'm experiencing my first rain with it and the rear driver's side floor, wall and roof of my car is sopping wet yet I can't find any broken seals. I can't figure out where all this water is coming in. The door was securely shut as was the sunroof. Anyone ever have this problem? There's a lot of water in there. So much so that it's pooling up and not just causing a damp rug.

Also I noticed this morning that my gas was not at the 1/4 tank I left it at in last night but was almost at E and as I sat in the car watching the gas range display it dropped 6 miles before my eyes yet I was parked in my driveway unmoving. Could my gas tank be leaking or has the computer just gone screwy?

DaveVoorhis
09-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Plugged sunroof drains?

SnakeyesTx
09-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Part A : Sunroof Drain holes. There should be 4 of them and they're probably clogged up and backing up water. If I read correctly, there's 1 in each corner of the sunroof. Roll it back and check them with pipe cleaners.

Part B : Were you parked on an incline? I think the sender and pump are near the front edge of the tank towards the motor. When I park in my driveway, my tank registers 1/4 tank less than I have until I level out, then it goes right back to where it should be.

artemis626
09-02-2006, 11:23 PM
I'll check that. I had also noticed that the sunroof seemd to be laboring to close the last few times I'd used it. I really had to keep pushing the button to get it s-l-o-w-l-y close all the way.

as for the gas, my driveway is pretty level but even when I did take it on the road the gauge did not return to what I had left it at the night before. It's frustating to gas up, see that you have around 180 miles to go and then only receive 70 in reality.

SnakeyesTx
09-03-2006, 12:24 AM
No fuel smell?

Alexlind123
09-03-2006, 01:35 AM
Maybe your neighbors are siphoning your fuel. Theres a dark lining in every silver cloud.

Airborne001
09-03-2006, 05:38 AM
My gas gauge acts very similar, but I have chalked it up to just a fluke. I have kept track of every gallon I have put in the car since I bought it. Mine seems to go much faster from 1/2 to empty than from full to half. Over 4700 miles now though, and I consistantly get 22mpg. Also my car is locked in a garage at night, so the siphoning thing ain't happening.

If it is any consolation, I used to get similar antics from my 1985 318i.