PDA

View Full Version : Project Results Review: 540 Steering Box

Johntee540
09-02-2006, 05:12 PM
zfssnasteering - remember that name. It is the EBAY Seller name for ZF Engineering - the manufacturer of Trannies; Power Steering Pumps; Steering boxes for Mercedes; Porsche; and of course BMW.

I recently bought from them a remanufactured Steering Box - Servotronic for a 540. Reman Steering boxes from one of their dealers cost between $1300-$1800. It cost $300 and came shipped and packaged from ZF. They assured me that the Servotronic Steering box was what came on my car - but I could not find any cross-reference anywhere that confirmed that. They told me that it would work either way and if it didnt to send it back.

I had my mechanic do the work - as I researched it and estimated about 12 hours or longer to do the job myself. It involves lowering the front cross member on the V-8. BTW - the Servotronic Steering box works fine on my non-Servotronic car.

The labor cost came out to about $680 and took about 12 hours for them to do it. I had the life time Alignment deal with NTW and they lined it all up for free.

Results: Tramlining with 18"Wheels and 8.5" tires has been reduced to barley noticeable at all. The Wander is gone. Turn in is precise and the front end of the car is tight tight tight! The Steering wheel is straight and the pull to the left is gone.

I love my car again. It is driving like it did when new. I highly recommend the job as it improves the quality of driving immensely.

Keep an eye on EBAY for the ZF liquidation deals. This they told me was an overstock item. They also told me that these parts were going to become scarcer and scarcer as they are no longer keeping the levels of stock for our cars - as they get older there are less and less of them out there to sell these parts to. Bookmark the seller name zfssnasteering on EBAY as a favorite seller and you will be made aware of their offerings when they post them. - JT

Russell
09-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I just may need a steering box on my 525i. Wonder if the same amount of labor?

yaofeng
09-02-2006, 08:25 PM
I'd never attempt this myself. 12 hours is fast.

Johntee540
09-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the info. I just may need a steering box on my 525i. Wonder if the same amount of labor?

I believe the process for the sixes is much simpler as you can actually even "see" the steering box from the top of the engine compartment in your car. - JT

BillionPa
09-02-2006, 10:45 PM
now you need to try and retrofit a servotronic control unit and TC in there.