PDA

View Full Version : 540i Auto '95 Euro Starter Motor Type(s) ?

bagpuss
09-02-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm in need of a starter motor for my 540i and thought I'd get a 2nd hand one, however, the suppliers I've spoken to tell me there are 3 different ones for this car which suprises me as 'RealOEM' lists only one type, but either a new one (that's been discontinued) or a remanufactured one. The part #s listed are:

STARTER 1,7 KW 12411729982
RMFD- STARTER MOTOR 1,7 KW 12411736922

(Which I am assuming is the same single type, just the different PNs to differentiate the 'new' from the 'remanufactured').

So is there any truth to what the supplier is saying about different types ? Which would indicate that 'RealOEM' has the wrong info ?

Cheers.

yaofeng
09-02-2006, 08:33 PM
I'm in need of a starter motor for my 540i and thought I'd get a 2nd hand one, however, the suppliers I've spoken to tell me there are 3 different ones for this car which suprises me as 'RealOEM' lists only one type, but either a new one (that's been discontinued) or a remanufactured one. The part #s listed are:

STARTER 1,7 KW 12411729982
RMFD- STARTER MOTOR 1,7 KW 12411736922

(Which I am assuming is the same single type, just the different PNs to differentiate the 'new' from the 'remanufactured').

So is there any truth to what the supplier is saying about different types ? Which would indicate that 'RealOEM' has the wrong info ?

Cheers.

It is interesting the left hand steer models have the following part numbers

STARTER 1,7 KW 12411729981
RMFD- STARTER MOTOR 1,7 KW 12411736921

I couldn't find anything different. Even the e32 use the same starter.

Marshy
09-02-2006, 09:01 PM
I'll be interested to see what you find out: my 93 UK model needs a new starter motor before next summer: it's starting to suffer from heat soak, occasionally needing to stand for 10-20 minutes with the bonnet open to persuade it to restart when really hot. :(

bagpuss
09-03-2006, 05:52 AM
It's starting to suffer from heat soak, occasionally needing to stand for 10-20 minutes with the bonnet open to persuade it to restart when really hot. :(

Now that is interesting, and not heard that term before but its similar to my issue. The car starts from cold all the time, and then occasionally failed to start when warm (I wouldnt say really hot tho) but was ok when i returned to the car 20 mins later. Hmmm, heat soak ay ? Does anyone have any more info on this issue and how it arises and whether there is a cure other than replacing the starter ? Presumably, if its a common thing peculiar to these starters, then a 2nd hand one would likely have the same issue, if its like a '10-year-life' thing ?

Cheers.

Marshy
09-03-2006, 12:27 PM
It's a familiar problem to me as my old TVR suffered from it too. Cure was to replace the starter motor, but I don't know if it's possible to renovate the existing one.

When you do get the problem, open the bonnet: much more air can flow through the engine compartment to help it cool down and start working again...