PDA

View Full Version : quick question

iainand
04-07-2004, 04:27 PM
just a quick one guys, does your sunroof switch light up?

i have had my car almost a yearbut the switch has never been lit, it looks like it lights up but i have never seen it.

talltorontoguy
04-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Hi, yes the sunroof switch should light up.

Rod

Javier
04-07-2004, 05:14 PM
nt

iainand
04-08-2004, 03:11 PM
cheers guys, i thought it looked like it should light up.

just need to get a new one now, the smallest things annoy the most dont they??!!

Javier
04-08-2004, 03:28 PM
from Radio shack, I think I remember a post discussing this fix thoroughly. Bulbs at back doors and roof, leds at windows center at the console,... May be you should take a look at the archives.

rickm
04-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Remove the switch. Put in a ziplock baggie, then pry it apart - there are springs in there that can and will fly off into the ether. The bulbs are 12v grain of wheat, Radio Shack ("You have questions, we have lamers") should have them on the shelf.

(Someone has written this up online, I can't seem to find it. As long as you seal the baggie to keep the parts in you should be fine)

Russell
04-08-2004, 05:11 PM
I used the radio shack bulbs. One note. use a low wattage sordering iron as the parts/wires are small.

I also used transparent "paint' or dye used for stained glass work to match the amber/red light color as teh bulbs I used are clear. It took several coats.

You may also check the old archives and check Roadfly's archives. I think it has been covered by several people on both boards.

Good luck

Remove the switch. Put in a ziplock baggie, then pry it apart - there are springs in there that can and will fly off into the ether. The bulbs are 12v grain of wheat, Radio Shack ("You have questions, we have lamers") should have them on the shelf.

(Someone has written this up online, I can't seem to find it. As long as you seal the baggie to keep the parts in you should be fine)

Travelfeet
04-09-2004, 10:13 AM
I did not solder or dismantle the whole switch. I bought a 5w? bulb, smaller than the original, with 2" leads for each contact. I clipped the old leads (they were soldered in place) and wound the new leads for the new bulb around the contacts (each had a convenient barb sort of thing to twist the wire around) I worried I might short the switch, but with careful routing it is working fine. The installation was a bit like surgery (I used tweezers for some of it) but I felt it was less risky than a full disassembly and soldering job. The bulbs were 2 for $1.29 at the local electronics shop. Not much of a risk as long as I did not destroy the switch. Works great (though is white as I did not have anything with which to color the bulb)

Now to tackle those 2 rear window switches...

iainand
04-09-2004, 02:12 PM
cheers guys, most helpfull. will have a look inside switch on my next day off, now the rear window switch on the drivers side too!!!

the most annoying of course is not the non working lights, its my airbag light glowing continuously!!