PDA

View Full Version : My faith in tire shops is restored

Jr ///M5
09-02-2006, 12:39 PM
https://publish.insightbb.com/personalfile/personalsite/england31/DSCN1452.JPG

I took advantage of a sale at Tire Rack and picked up a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE050's for $97 each. Such a deal. Regular price was $167, got 'em on closeout. They just arrived the other day, so I started searching their recommended installers this morning in anticipation of finding someone that wasn't too busy.
Most places were booked except a place on the South end, (not noted for it's ambiance) they weren't busy at all.So I threw the new tires in the M5 and away I went. As I pulled into Plaza Tire Shop, the place looked like a ghost town. The manager came out and I explained about the rims, hubcentric rings, torque measurements and the inside and outside of the new tires. By this time all the techs were drooling all over the M5 and asking all kinds of questions. They motioned me into the bay and came out with 4 hydraulic jacks. It looked like a pit crew. The techs examined the wheels to make sure there wasn't any scratches or peeled edges so that they wouldn't be blamed for anything later. They gave the M5 the royal white glove treatment, being very careful of every lug nut, hubcentric ring, jack placement, you name it, they treated the car as if it was the "Queen of England".
They road force balanced the new tires to zero and printed out a form that showed how much weight was used and where it was placed. They bagged the old tires and loaded them back into the car. Hell, they almost saluted me after I payed and was driving off.
The best part was with all that care, exact roadforce balance, going the extra mile for a new customer, and changing out the tires without incident, the charge was get this.........$72.
You can bet they found a lifetime customer. So boys and girl, let this be a lesson, don't judge a shop by it's appearance, it can fool even the most seasoned veterans.

Jr

PS....the new Potenza's are quiet, smooth, and handle with little steeing input. The M5 is soooo smoooth now. Such a deal for a summer tire.

Andrea K
09-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Nice JR

Its true about shop appearance - Ive been to a couple place in Trenton NJ that look sketch as hell but are true professionals.

Argh this is Jon K not Andrea K

Gayle
09-02-2006, 02:12 PM
they treated the car as if it was the "Queen of England".

Glad they recognized her for who she is. She got her props.

BTW Isn't it an event when you take that car anywhere? Sort of like a mini-vacation?

Alan_525i
09-02-2006, 04:54 PM
I got a similar deal on new Bridgestone SO3s for my car. 90 bucks each at Tire Rack on closeout. Sitting in my apt as we speak. My doorman was a little pissed at having four tires clogging up the parcels room...

But yeah, good tire installers are hard to find. Glad you got one.

Paul in NZ
09-02-2006, 07:28 PM
you know of course JR that there is actually a very strong family lineage between the Queen of England and the German Royal Family(where ever they are now) so there is some kind of linkage there i guess.I have Bridgsestone tyres too and have been impressed.I thought i got a good deal at $275 each
:(

Macv
09-02-2006, 07:41 PM
My tire story sounds very similar. Seems like the care comes with the car.

Beautiful pics btw.

Paul in NZ
09-02-2006, 08:33 PM
My tire story sounds very similar. Seems like the care comes with the car.

Beautiful pics btw.
dont encourage him he will only post more!

Jr ///M5
09-02-2006, 09:02 PM
Com'on Paul, we all like a good story. Even the Queen...

genphreak
09-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Com'on Paul, we all like a good story. Even the Queen...:D I reckon those dudes will be telling their Grandchildren about the day HRH Bimmer M5 turned up at the shop and they got to polish her shoes.

What a pleasure it would be to work on a piece of well-kept excellence like that, especially in comparison to 'normal fare'. Damn, a car like that is almost too good to take to a Dealer! :) Nick

Paul in NZ
09-02-2006, 10:13 PM
just a quick question here....were the style 5s available as 17,s for the e 34 originally?

Jr ///M5
09-02-2006, 10:20 PM
No sir, the Queens shoes were not developed at the time. I think they were used in size 16 for the earlier 6 series with just a little difference in the lip molding.

Paul in NZ
09-02-2006, 10:27 PM
thanks JR
you might have just won me an argument.So a 94 or 95 e34 540 wouldnt have a 17x8 style 5 with proper e 34 fitment?

Jr ///M5
09-02-2006, 10:46 PM
:D I reckon those dudes will be telling their Grandchildren about the day HRH Bimmer M5 turned up at the shop and they got to polish her shoes.

What a pleasure it would be to work on a piece of well-kept excellence like that, especially in comparison to 'normal fare'. Damn, a car like that is almost too good to take to a Dealer! :) Nick

This particular shop has been in the business for 38 years as a local company, and you're right, they have seen their share of cars everyday. But it's not everyday a car like this goes down to the South side to have work done. I respect the shop that can tell the difference and knows how to treat the guest.

They stood back while I "popped" off the covers for the lugs with the wrench from the trunk (or boot) and when they were finished, I showed one of the techs how they "popped" back on, aligning the marks on the wheels with the marks on the cover. The tech watched and said, "I thought the marks on the covers were supposed to align with the valvestem".....

On the other hand, they took time to teach me about a new kind of dynamic balancing tool. It's a tube that is glued onto the inside of the wheel at a predetermined measurement from the inside of the rim. The tube has a medium of very small bb's in it and when the wheel spins, the medium self balances the tire for every occasion. Even the top tire tech was apprehensive about using the newest technology available on such a sensitive vehicle. Hey, I finally found someone that gives a fat rats ass...

Alan_525i
09-03-2006, 09:21 PM
thanks JR
you might have just won me an argument.So a 94 or 95 e34 540 wouldnt have a 17x8 style 5 with proper e 34 fitment?

No, but you could track down a set of 18" Style 5s (from an E38) and they will fit perfect. They are pretty hard to find.